cruise insurance for over 65

TULLOCH

has anybody got a cheap insurance that covers passenger taking warfarin for past dvt. Got travel insurance with credit card but does not cover Warfarin( dvt) got ok to travel from surgeon after dvt in september. I have been told i am safer than most people?? taking warfarin daily. unsure whether i should take out additional insurance??? thanks:):)

"Cheap" is not always good! But we have often warned US folks, who are on Medicare, that Medicare does not provide any coverage outside the USA (with only a few tiny exceptions) Some (not all) of the Medicare Supplemental and Advantage plans do provide limited emergency coverage outside the US, but one needs to carefully review their policy and talk to their provider.

There are various Travel Medical policies available and some do cover pre-existing conditions. Since DW and I spend as much as 7 months a year traveling outside the US, we simply purchased an Annual Travel Med policy issued by GeoBlue (an arm of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield consortium). Our policy costs $349 per year (total cost for both of us) and provides $250,000 in medical coverage during the first 70 days of each and every trip we take during the policy year. Our policy also includes $500,000 of Medical Evacuation insurance. There are some other annual travel med policies on the market.

Many cruisers prefer to simply buy single trip "Trip Policies" that cover both trip cancellation and medical. While most of these do not provide as much medical coverage as our annual policy, they are quite popular. There are a few web sites that allow you to compare these type policies such as insuremytrip.com and squarmouth.com. If you read through some of the recent posts on this board you will find some references to other options.

Hank

has anybody got a cheap insurance that covers passenger taking warfarin for past dvt. Got travel insurance with credit card but does not cover Warfarin( dvt) got ok to travel from surgeon after dvt in september. I have been told i am safer than most people?? taking warfarin daily. unsure whether i should take out additional insurance??? thanks:):)

Go to insuremytrip.com and phone them. They are brokers of many travel insurance companies so can help you.

You definitely need travel insurance that will cover medical expenses and medical evacuation. Also, check the money limit of your credit card coverage. Usually not very high. I'd recommend complete travel insurance from a third party through insuremytrip.com

We are way past 65. Hubby is on a lot of meds, no trouble getting insurance. We always purchase it within a week of booking so we can have pre-existing conditions covered. You'll need coverage for pre-existing, so ask about that too.

Tulloch...I just thought with your name it was worth checking if you were from the UK, and I see from your posts that you're going on the lovely Azura, so I'll respond....

Try Staysure, who try to work out the insurance for people who are already on meds....we have used them several times, and just today we were ringing around for quotes for going on a TA on Ventura, and Staysure came out the best. We have a few minor ills, and OH has diabetes, so we are very careful to tell them down to the last aspirin taken! They are thorough in their checks, but we've had no problems.

Have a great cruise! :cool:

I just realised from jocap's post that you are not in US. That makes a big difference in the replies you will get. Since your location doesn't automatically show (not in your profile) you need to mention in your posts what country you are in for questions about country-specific items.

You are no more "at risk" than anyone...assuming you've been checked regularly and are good to go.

Anyone who has medical issues should have "evacuation " coverage....it's expensive if you need to get to land while at sea!

It is expensive even on land. Our neighbor had a serious accident in his garage and was airlifted to a trauma Center 93 miles away. He was billed $51,000 for the helicopter evacuation. Luckily he has insurance that will cover most of it.

But cruisers need to realize how expensive medical evacuation can be.

Tulloch...I just thought with your name it was worth checking if you were from the UK, and I see from your posts that you're going on the lovely Azura, so I'll respond....

Try Staysure, who try to work out the insurance for people who are already on meds....we have used them several times, and just today we were ringing around for quotes for going on a TA on Ventura, and Staysure came out the best. We have a few minor ills, and OH has diabetes, so we are very careful to tell them down to the last aspirin taken! They are thorough in their checks, but we've had no problems.

Have a great cruise! :cool:

Great advice! Saga is also worth a look.

Thank you everybody for all your kind replies. I am an uk resident, sorry for any confusion. I am still trying to get a quote that is not too expensive. As i already said i have full cover from my Credit card (Bank) but they will not do an add- on for dvt, seems a shame but i will keep trying. thanks all.