Standards slipping on Holland America?

thebts

For posts detailing really bad HAL ship experiences on this thread - I wish the posters would name the ship they refer to. :confused:

I'm not saying what those posters are describing didn't happen ... but ... since we've never encountered anything near the nightmares they describe we'd like to avoid those particular ships.

Don't get me wrong I love cruising but it's not my first vacation choice. I would rather be land locked in Paris... Then Rome...

I don't think I will ever find a good fit because I won't cruise enough to test the waters, so to speak.

But I do enjoy everyone here and the enthusiasm you fine posters have for cruising!

Some say the cruise is the destination, not the ports. Not so for me.

I, like you love land based travel..I cruise to cover distance.. Cruising gives you a taste, so you can decide which places you'd like to return to and really spend some time there!

Some say the cruise is the destination, not the ports. Not so for me.

I, like you love land based travel..I cruise to cover distance.. Cruising gives you a taste, so you can decide which places you'd like to return to and really spend some time there!

My DH had his first cruise this January. He uses this exact description to people. He calls it "tasting plate travel."

Like others have said here, I like a mix of land travel and cruises. One cannot see Europe from "the edges". But cruises work for things like the Greek islands, where doing them on your own with ferries, etc, and unpacking all the time, would be tedious. Same for Norway scenery -

Yes, there has been some "slippage" in service, staffing, meals, etc., but HAL still offers a good per-diem for travel and is a great way to see lots of ports in relative luxury with ease of travel. When I go to a land-based restaurant, I have to choose from what is on that menu, maybe not always to my taste, but it is food and I can usually find something tasty - same as the MDR. And I have to make do with whatever brand of tea they offer!

I still feel treated like a princess by the staff on HAL, so will continue to sail them as long as that happens. Maybe the luxury lines offer a better product, but one pays for that. If HAL can continue to offer the product they do, for the good prices they offer, I am all for their plan. If cutting a few corners here and there keeps the prices stable, so be it. They still use glass dishes and cups and linen napkins in the Lido and room service, e.g., while other lines use plastic dishes. I miss the elaborate floral displays, but if the less flowers they now use, keeps my cruise fare down, I can do without the flowers. HAL fares have remained pretty much the same for the last five years or so to most destinations - can we say that about other costs in life? -air fares, heating oil, food, clothing, medical costs

All that being said, it is distressing to read of A/C and plumbing issues - that is one place where cost-cutting is not acceptable. If a repair is needed in my room, I expect it to handled promptly. So far, I have been lucky in that area. I can handle worn upholstery - it is worn at my house - but expect it to be clean and the bathroom free of mold.

Like others have said here, I like a mix of land travel and cruises. One cannot see Europe from "the edges". But cruises work for things like the Greek islands, where doing them on your own with ferries, etc, and unpacking all the time, would be tedious. Same for Norway scenery -

Regarding Greek islands....A day in port is not nearly enough. One of my favorite places to vacation.., spending 3, 4, or even 5 days on several different islands...but that's a whole different topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The venue that has lost it for me is the Pinnacle Grill. The first time there in 2005 was superb. They had the nice colored plates with different salts.

The lobster bisque was done table side with the cognac bottle present.

Now they just serve you a soup bowl, or if table side its all pre-prepared. One does not see them putting any cognac in the broth, as the only overt serving is the heavy cream (which they slurp on as a smilee...big deal:rolleyes:).

In 2005 the steak was such high quality (Sterling silver beef). Now the cuts are from RR which is so inferior. I had a bone-in ribeye that was so tough I summoned the maitre d, to show him a steak that was just inedible. I joked that the cow must have had a hard life. :D

We used to go the PG for dinner about 2 to 3 times on a 11 day cruise, and now we go once (I order the rack of lamb or the fish).

Funny enough the lunch menu still has an offer of a Sterling silver beef cut, and we do frequent that more often.

As for other things, we are pretty easy, and never had any big problems.

Remember when... Your cruise always included air, you had to use a travel agent, you were actually mailed documents, airline tickets, your cruise passanger tickets, vouchers for your transfers...shore excursion book, and luggage tags?... In a document folder? Those were the days...it was so exciting when those docs finally arrived!!! And when the cruiselines actually had those 50 page brochures...,

Remember when... Your cruise always included air, you had to use a travel agent, you were actually mailed documents, airline tickets, your cruise passanger tickets, vouchers for your transfers...shore excursion book, and luggage tags?... In a document folder? Those were the days...it was so exciting when those docs finally arrived!!! And when the cruiselines actually had those 50 page brochures...,

While our cruises have changed so have we cruisers.

Have you travelled in Europe by train before? I ask because we find train travel in Europe and luggage to be a poor match. Elevators are usually available only by finding the 'keeper of the key' to operate it. And baggage porters are non-existent. And there is no such thing as checked luggage. Admittedly, it has been several years since we've travelled by train in Europe -- but are planning to do so this fall. We're taking advantage of Cunard's White Glove Service and shipping the large suitcases from Southampton to Copenhagen. It was a trick to find a hotel that will accept the luggage (in Copenhagen) when we will not yet have arrived. And now that I think about it, with the latest difficulties in Copenhagen, the hotel may no longer be willing to do that. Here I go again.

We travelled Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruge, Brussels, Paris, and Prague to Budapest by train in September last year. We had one large suitcase each plus a cabin wheelie each. You will be fine - don't stress. Everybody is in the same situation and help each other. We had some very interesting travelling companions and enjoyed our trips.