Standards slipping on Holland America?

thebts

Just back from back to back cruises. First week on Holland America Westerdam, second week on Carnival Breeze, both out of Miami. Consider that we paid 3 times the price on Westerdam than we did on Breeze for similar cabin and itinerary. Here's how I rated them both,

Breeze: ship condition 9

Westerdam: ship condition 8

Breeze: food 8

Westerdam: food 6

Breeze: entertainment 9

Westerdam: entertainment 5

Breeze: cabin 9

Westerdam: cabin 6

Breeze: overall 8.5

Westerdam: overall 6

I think Holland America is over-rated and Carnival is not just the party-ship. It appeals to a mass market for good reasons - a fun time for a reasonable price.

Please share your cruise comparisons here.

Please!!!! It's like comparing a filet mignon to a pork chop

I am sorry you feel that way. As for us did Carnival felt way too crowded, felt like sardines. HAL by far for us with 8 cruises for us is like home. Every one has their own opinion, enjoy Carnival. We will enjoy HAL. Also IMO, it is like comparing a Lexus to a Prius. We have both one for comfort and relaxation, the other for saving on gas and mileage.

Please!!!! It's like comparing a filet mignon to a pork chop

Breeze is a HIGHLY impressive ship that is not the typical "party ship" with nothing but drunks and belly flop contests... While Carnival is not a premium cruiseline the overall "vibe" of Breeze was much more sophisticated than many of its predecessors.

I've been on both ships and while I would not have rated the same there are some spots where Breeze comes awfully close or may overtake HAL in an individual category or two

Just back from back to back cruises. First week on Holland America Westerdam, second week on Carnival Breeze, both out of Miami. Consider that we paid 3 times the price on Westerdam than we did on Breeze for similar cabin and itinerary. Here's how I rated them both,

I think Holland America is over-rated and Carnival is not just the party-ship. It appeals to a mass market for good reasons - a fun time for a reasonable price.

Interesting, sounds like you prefer Carnival.

And double checking the port...Westerdam out of Port Everglades and Breeze out of ?

One expects the entertainment and other amenities to scale up with ship size. In this case the size ratios are almost 2:1 between the two ships!!

I would be more interested in a comparison between ships of similar size before drawing any conclusions between cruise lines.

igraf

Edited by igraf

Last year I was on the Noordam, Carnival Splendor and Amsterdam.

The following is MHO.

I am a solo cruiser and had Inside on HAL and Interior Upper/ Lower on CCL.

The HAL had 2 beds where the Splendor had ONE giving more room in the cabin. The Amsterdam and Splendor had a sofa giving more usable space (for me) than the Noordam. Other than that I would say the cabins were equal.

Ship condition all 3 about the same.

Food: Sea day brunch a plus for CCL. Port day breakfast MDR and Lido HAL wins.

Lido lunch depends on menu. Pizza best on the Splendor.

Dinner MDR HAL wins. Lido dinner an acceptable alternative on HAL. On the Splendor go to the MDR!

Entertainment The Song and Dance shows more elaborate on CCL. IMHO where CCL has an advantage is the comedy club. HAL is the nightly show and the music in the bars.

My HAL cruises are longer the CCL where HAL excels. I will consider CCL IF they don't charge a 100% single supplement. HAL on the cruises I have planned charge 60%.

I'm having a hard time with this right from the 'get go'.

HAL does not sail from Miami. Westerdam sails from Port Everglades and has done so on all her recent cruises.

When something so basic as that is misstated, it makes me take pause.

I'm having a hard time with this right from the 'get go'.

HAL does not sail from Miami. Westerdam sails from Port Everglades and has done so on all her recent cruises.

When something so basic as that is misstated, it makes me take pause.

You and me both. Don't see him jumping in to correct himself or perhaps he does not like eating crow.

Breeze is a HIGHLY impressive ship that is not the typical "party ship" with nothing but drunks and belly flop contests... While Carnival is not a premium cruiseline the overall "vibe" of Breeze was much more sophisticated than many of its predecessors.

I've been on both ships and while I would not have rated the same there are some spots where Breeze comes awfully close or may overtake HAL in an individual category or two

Thank you for saying this. I was on the Breeze in 2012 and we had an *amazing* cruise in the Mediterranean. In no way was it a party ship, nor did we feel like we were squished in like sardines. The service and the food was outstanding. I am hoping that our upcoming trip on the NA equals our prior experience on the Breeze. Notice that I did not say surpass because I am not sure anything could surpass it although being served off gold dishes and eating without gaining any weight might do it. ;)

Sorry but I reread the thread and see in Post #9, POA also commented that Westerdam does not sail from Miami. I did not see that post before I wrote my message. :o Sorry, POA.

No problem. It's generally the loudest ship sailing by, so it's pretty noticeable. ;) Also can say that I haven't seen the visible rust that the OP mentioned.

The OP doubled down on Miami, so I don't know what the heck is going on. The Carnival Breeze is home ported in Miami. I'm tempted to ask if it took FOREVER to get between terminals.

Edited by POA1

No problem. It's generally the loudest ship sailing by, so it's pretty noticeable. ;) Also can say that I haven't seen the visible rust that the OP mentioned.

The OP doubled down on Miami, so I don't know what the heck is going on. The Carnival Breeze is home ported in Miami. I'm tempted to ask if it took FOREVER to get between terminals.

My GUESS would be that A) FLL and MIA are close to each other (maybe 15-25 minutes?) B) OP perhaps flew into and out of MIA so C) OP thinks of this as being an MIA roundtrip cruise

I fully know about one post wonders and trolls but I really don't get that vibe in this case... Is it really necessary to nitpick the hell out of someone giving their opinion? :confused: :eek: