Carnival Breeze vs Holland America Westerdam

thebts

Just back from back to back cruises. First week on Holland America Westerdam, second week on Carnival Breeze, both out of Miami. Consider that we paid 3 times the price on Westerdam than we did on Breeze for similar cabin and itinerary. Here's how I rated them both,

Breeze: ship condition 9

Westerdam: ship condition 8

Breeze: food 8

Westerdam: food 6

Breeze: entertainment 9

Westerdam: entertainment 5

Breeze: cabin 9

Westerdam: cabin 6

Breeze: overall 8.5

Westerdam: overall 6

I think Holland America is over-rated and Carnival is not just the party-ship. It appeals to a mass market for good reasons - a fun time for a reasonable price.

Please share your cruise comparisons here.

HAL is CCL's PREMIUM line for a reason.

Your comparing apples to oranges...

As a premium line, I would expect Holland America to far surpass a Carnival cruise, but that doesn't appear to be the case. We have sailed on Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity and Norwegian...Holland America is on our "never to sail again" list.

Just back from back to back cruises. First week on Holland America Westerdam, second week on Carnival Breeze, both out of Miami. Consider that we paid 3 times the price on Westerdam than we did on Breeze for similar cabin and itinerary. Here's how I rated them both,

I think Holland America is over-rated and Carnival is not just the party-ship. It appeals to a mass market for good reasons - a fun time for a reasonable price.

if you want to have Fun!! Carnival or if you want to be bored HAL

For a significant difference in price due North, the Westerdam should have beat out the Breeze in every category. That said, I saw a review of that ship on here that made it seem as if the Westerdam was as good as the QE2. Go figure. Everyone sees things differently.

I can't see my family going on a Holland America for at least another 20 years unless we won a freebie.

For a significant difference in price due North, the Westerdam should have beat out the Breeze in every category. That said, I saw a review of that ship on here that made it seem as if the Westerdam was as good as the QE2. Go figure. Everyone sees things differently.

I can't see my family going on a Holland America for at least another 20 years unless we won a freebie.

Exactly one persons view is never the same as anothers.

I havent been on breeze yet(32 days), but it is also a newer ship. The two brands are completely different and attract a MUCH different type of passenger.

I will say on my HAL cruise, service was above and beyond anything of the likes of Carnival, Food was better, the ship was miles and miles ahead of Carinval in terms of the upscale decor with all the beautiful artowork and sculptures. There is a certain amount of elegance in the atmosphere and sophistication from passengers that you just dont see on Carnival, ie: people with more money and higher standards and are a bit more refined.

The average passenger age however was probably 70, lol

Edited by jp30338

You will love the Breeze I am sure. Guys Burger Joint is amazing in comparison to the Westerdam specialty burger cafe where they make you wait with a beeper for 20 mins (or in one case, actually forgot to recall us) and then gave me cold food. Unbelievable.

While I have never sailed on HAL, I have read stories and reviews.

Seems like their "average" passenger age is anywhere between 65-70 years old.

No thanks!!!!!:D:D

I am 44, soon to be 45 with a DD who just turned 16.

We'll stick with Carnival for the next 20+ years.:D

Sailed twice on the Breeze already and she is our FAVORITE ship. Hoping to make it #3 this year. LOVE LOVE that ship.

Have to strongly disagree with you about the food and entertainment! I was on the Eurodam in November and food is so much better on HAL! I went in Jan 2014 on the Sunshine and I ate every single night in one of the specialty restaurants and it was a very nice experience. Surely add to the overall cruise experience.

We did enjoy our HAL cruise on the Ryndam and we did think that the food was better than Carnival, but in every other way Carnival far exceeded our experience of HAL. While HAL did have entertainment, it was pretty much "lights off, everyone in bed" at 11.30pm, which is a bit early for our liking. The staff were more friendly on Carnival, the ship was in a better state of repair... in fact even though the food was better on HAL, one thing that really bugged me was not be permitted to serve ourselves most of the time at the buffet (supposedly to prevent Noro but I suspect more as a cost-control measure). We might consider HAL again when we're older and greyer but for now we definitely crave the fun element of Carnival.

Wow, I would have thought HAL would have been a superior experience to CCL. thanks for the comparison!

I agree. I have been wanting to do a HAL cruise for a long time now. But I continue to get good prices/and product recieved from Carnival, so have not done so yet. I dont buy the cliche that HAL ships shut down at 10pm, it does not make sense to me for any cruise ship to do so, when they can still sell drinks etc. But, I have not been there yet, but I still wish to do so one day, and then I will form my own opinion.

I have also been on NCL and Celebrity once each, and had awesome cruises on both, but have not been back to either, basically due to price. Same reason I have not yet cruised on HAL, though I am seeing more good deals on them lately. Some day I will, and I know that I will have a good time too.

HAL is CCL's PREMIUM line for a reason.

Your comparing apples to oranges...

HAL is NOT CCL's premium line. Of CCL's mainstream cruise lines, I was told directly by a higher up at Carinval Corporation that they consider Princess the top of their mainstream cruise product (HAL, Costa, Carinval, Princess).

I have always found HAL to be the bottom of the barrel mainstream cruise line. The decor on the ships I have been on (Zaandam, Maasdam, Eurodam x2, Nieuw Amsterdam x3) is dark, depressing, and in generally poor repair. Broken, stained chairs, filthy carpets.

I would like to go on the Breeze, it looks like a lovely ship.

Edited by sun~

We sailed on the Westerdam. Comparing this ship with ANYTHING on Carnival is indeed like comparing apples and oranges. When I first set foot on the Westerdam, I also thought, what's the big deal about Holland America???!!! Then, my very discerning mother, who has been all over the world and knows what it means to travel in style, started pointing out what makes Holland America a premium cruise line.

She pointed at the fresh flower arrangements throughout the ship, even in the cabin. The white gloved service. The room service delivered in fine china. The laundry wrapped in tissue with a gold foil seal and presented in a wicker basket. The premium brand toiletries. The impeccable Filipino cabin service. The multi-million dollar art collection throughout the ship. The unobtrusive PA announcements. The enrichment programs, including the culinary center and the guest lecturers. The lack of tacky and incessant sales pitches over the loudspeakers. The availability of premium dining options including world renowned Le Cirque.

Even though Holland America is indeed a premium cruise line, that doesn't mean that it's for everybody. It's a cruise line for those who appreciate the small details, and for those with a discerning palate to actually recognize what makes it a superior product. It's definitely not the cruise line for those who would consider Guy's Burger, Hairy Chest Contests, or plastic and neon decoration to be superior than The Pinnacle Grill, world renowned lecturers and musicians, or a multi million dollar art collection.

We had an absolutely wonderful time on the Westerdam when we sailed to Alaska in 2013. But Holland was far from being our favorite cruise line. While they indeed deliver a premium product, we are not at a point in our lives (raising a young family) to appreciate what this cruise line has to offer. It will be a few years (if not decades) before we go back.

Edited by Tapi

I am not entirely sure why anyone would compare HAL to Carnival as many point out it is almost apples to oranges. As most of us know, Carnival Corp. is a cornucopia of cruise lines ranging from Carnival to Cunard that cater to a different target market. Other than finding out which one fits your needs and wants at a given time in your life it is almost pointless like trying to compare a Chevrolet to a Cadillac. With that said, you can see my signature as to where most of our voyages have entailed but we are getting ready to get on Carnival Fantasy this Sunday for a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas. Probably the farthest thing you can get to the World Cruise we were on the QE2 in 2007. With that said, given expectations at the time I won't be boarding the Fantasy and comparing it to the experience that I have had on different voyages. We are fortunate to be a couple hours from Charleston, price was right, time was right and this cruise next week will be an ultra low key laid back affair. If we accomplish that it will be a success.

I've sailed on the Westerdam and absolutely loved her. Beautiful ship. HAL does elegant far better than Carnival. But they're more niche, as well. Westerdam is perfect if you want to enjoy a quiet, elegant vacation. Not for everyone.

Although I LOVE HAL and Westerdam is my favorite of their ships, I'd say that overall, Carnival does better at offering experiences that more people can enjoy.

I have been on Carnival, Hal, and Princess..Now this is spread out over time but for mainstream cruisers....most think Hal is the Premium..then Princess.. then Carnival. But as all the posts have revealed..it absolutely is the variance in the details and what each soul likes..i can make a Carnival fit some of my more quiet moments wanted with a book, the spa, a drink and finding the right place.

Yes Hal is older but after a certain age...it is nice to be the young kid with the olders...my folks did that for 20 years in Tuscon in winter..kept them the "kids" and was emotionally cool to grow into 80 there..a few months a year with active seniors.

I went once on the old Westerdam after a stretch refurbishment;.....just on a 24hour...from Vancouver to Portland. OR. Holland would be fabulous for a Multi-generational cruise to Alaska for some families..others better on Princess..others better on Carnival..

I loved Hal and Princess and can't wait to try Celebrity and all of them for a week or more. I also was thrilled to find Carnival is value but not cheap with special things of her own. Food was good an all but Carnival last cruise.

Relatives just did a Multi-generational cruise to Alaska on new Westerdam and LOVED IT..youngest were high school. Life is good..so many choices that they are all often more affordable than before..counting for inflation..happy cruising.

Edited by sjn911

if you want to have Fun!! Carnival or if you want to be bored HAL

We did the 11 day panama on the Zuiderdam Jan 2-12 Totally agree with you. We have 3 Carnival cruises the previous 3ys but wanted to do the canal. We are not party people but do go to shows,trivia and other activities when onboard. Not this time nothing to do around the pool or ship unless you want a cooking lesson,computer class,wine paring and of course art & shopping wow. We have never spent so much time lying around our room or at the aft bar pool (not big drinkers either) Comedy ONE night and it was the first time we have every snuck out of a show ever after 20 mins in and he grab a guitar not a laugh out of us so sad. The food was good not a lot of choice in mdr so ate a lot at buffet and the staff amazing since we really did got to know them. Steakhouse was no where near Carnivals not bad but not great. The big show was so packed to get in every night only thing that changed every night was the year of music. We will not be back to Holland unless its a port intensive cruise we really want to see the ports. Oh ya dancing with the stars cruisiers actually bring their own costumes to try and win WTH really not for us . dh is 54 and I am 53. Trivia was once a day in evening but if you are in team trivia its once a day too miss the first two days so no team for us. CD never seen him except on tv in the morning pretaped funny when port canceled and he is telling us all about arrival and when to be back on ship haha. The ship was clean and the staff was amazing actually came home with money for our next cruise lol