Review Southern Caribbean Cruise from Puerto Rico Jan 18th -25th on the Valor

Dirkgun

We stayed at one once in September 2007. The one (brand) we stayed at was a little pricey but they had some great sales that year, we had one of the lower room categories (still had ocean front), and going in September helped keep the cost down. There are other reputable brands that have much better prices. They do include everything, even drinks, and some activities (snorkeling, kayaks, & other water toys). Many offer excursions that cost extra. We did enjoy it but we also love cruising. If you'd like more details, I’d be happy to fill you in. It's funny you mentioned there aren't any in Puerto Rico...I looked last year. :) I'd love to go there and stay for a week...or longer if possible since there is a lot I’d love to see there.

This is a hot topic every now and then here in Puerto Rico. There are some all inclusive hotels and resorts around the island but they can range from Paradores (usually small hotels in places that range from beach-side to mountain top locations) and bigger resorts like Copamarina. But the bigger ones tend to be pricier than expected. This is due to the fact that Puerto Rico has not really embraced agriculture (it tends to get very expensive to maintain crops here) as a way to supply the hotel industry and make all inclusive packages viable and rather import most of its stuff. Google "Puero Rico all inclusive" as a starting point.

This is a hot topic every now and then here in Puerto Rico. There are some all inclusive hotels and resorts around the island but they can range from Paradores (usually small hotels in places that range from beach-side to mountain top locations) and bigger resorts like Copamarina. But the bigger ones tend to be pricier than expected. This is due to the fact that Puerto Rico has not really embraced agriculture (it tends to get very expensive to maintain crops here) as a way to supply the hotel industry and make all inclusive packages viable and rather import most of its stuff. Google "Puero Rico all inclusive" as a starting point.

Thank you Stinger-pr. I had no idea. The more I think about it, a stay at an all-inclusive in PR would probably take away from the actual experience. The time we were at an AI, we stayed on the property except for the off site excursion since everything was included. With it all being included, it can be a waste of money to go out and experience what is beyond the resort. There are so many places in PR that I'd love to see so we wouldn't want to feel obligated to stay in one place. A friend of mine just spent some time in San Juan & then Isabela (she loved it there) and is filling me in on her trip...Isabela and Rincon are now on my list of "want to sees". Thanks for all of your information. When we plan our week there, I'll probably need some of your help. :)

Ok hopefully back at it... My internet provider apparently was doing some maintenance and while some sites were fine some were not. Now back to loading correctly.

Thanks to everyone for reading along and all the nice comments.

Very nice review! I have not been on carnival since 2002(My wife and I feel too many kids are out of control with no parental guidance: I taught Spec Ed for 26 years, so screaming kids and my wife and I don't" comprehende" ) but we may "Suck it up" since this iten. Is interesting,...re-Located from the East coast to N. AZ a few years ago, so we're looking into West Coast and Gulf cruises now. I'll be in PR later this year on biz.( I'm in Shooting Media-Nice Nick!) for a shooting match, that my friends did last year. Love the Rain Forrest pics,...last time I was in Thick RF like that was Panama for Our uncle....Keep it coming....

(Dr Bill) Dr. Football.........

Retired from solving other People's Problems

CWO-4 US Army Retired/Medical

NSDQ!!!

Thanks, and a big thanks for your service to our country.

Following!! I'll be on this exact cruise next Sunday! 😁

You will have a blast. I am jealous.

You are just a baby...LOL...I turned 55 in Oct. and my closest sibling turns 50 next month,,,thanks soooo much for sharing your vacation and another fabulous review...working on some health issues to do this trip right...and this will keep me motivated..thanks so much..Sarah

I have been called an old baby... Good luck with the health issues. Thanks

Sat Jan 17th Today was the day we had to check out of the condo (at 11:00 am) so we got up and finished off what we could of the cereal and other breakfast items we had purchased, then packed up and loaded our gaggle of luggage into the van. We decided that since we could not check into our hotel in San Juan (Condado actually) that we would take a drive into El Yunque again and just drive around and finish the loop to the top of the road, to see things we might have missed the day before.

DSC00192-Copy.jpg

Goodbye for now to Fajardo...

DSC00166.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

El Yunque is a magical place.

Re: Age- Dirk, I have 5+ years on you, I hit "the Double Nickel" this Summer,and I'm finally feeling my age. ...one of my Nephews calls me "uncle Sta-puff"...he's Heading for the Army on a Ranger Contract tho, so I called a few friends who called a few friends, so he will have a surprise waiting at Ranger Intake....[emoji6] going to be passing thru SLC this summer in the RV, if your around, email is askdrfootball@gmail.com. I'd love to compare Trip notes, we did Bermuda on NCL in Late 11, and we're doing a "Music Cruise" this Fall, and Alaska cruise next Summer for our 10th wedding/15th Annv. Of our first Date....

On our way back down the road, my wife who we now affectionately call “Nat Geo”(short for National Geographic) because she is so good at spotting wildlife, sees a huge orange male Iguana… at speed, across a river, high in a tree, oh and from the back seat of the minivan to boot. We stop and took some pictures. It was big.

DSC00199.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

The victorious lookout....

IMG_0122.jpg

Then we meandered back to the San Juan area. We stopped again at a Wal-Mart to get some snacks to munch on in the hotel rooms before we went into the San Sebastian Festival (SanSe from here on out). We were staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Condado and it was a decent place to stay. It had breakfast included which was a nice feature. We got the rooms situated and then we went to return the rental car. We figured there was no need to pay $20 a night to park since there was nowhere to park in Old San Juan and we had to take a taxi anyway. Enterprise was great again, we finished up and they took us back to our hotel even though it was past the time they do that.

Edited by Dirkgun

Re: Age- Dirk, I have 5+ years on you, I hit "the Double Nickel" this Summer,and I'm finally feeling my age. ...one of my Nephews calls me "uncle Sta-puff"...he's Heading for the Army on a Ranger Contract tho, so I called a few friends who called a few friends, so he will have a surprise waiting at Ranger Intake....[emoji6] going to be passing thru SLC this summer in the RV, if your around, email is askdrfootball@gmail.com. I'd love to compare Trip notes, we did Bermuda on NCL in Late 11, and we're doing a "Music Cruise" this Fall, and Alaska cruise next Summer for our 10th wedding/15th Annv. Of our first Date....

Ok will do. Lol Uncle Sta-puff that's funny. I am sure he will "love" your welcome for him. I will send you an email. I actually live in the Ogden area so north of SLC but close enough....

We decided to head into SanSe at about 6:00 pm so we got a taxi and headed in. Even though they had some dedicated taxi lanes it was very congested. We walked along the water front heading to get a Tripleta sandwich from a vendor that is ALWAYS there… he was not there this day. My son almost broke down and had a vacation tantrum…. This was one of the things he was most excited about. Oh well life goes on. We did find someone selling a facsimile of them up in the festival, but nowhere near as good. OMG if you like party atmospheres and can stand to be around 300,000 of your closest friends try to visit a SanSe festival (they are usually the 3rd weekend in January), Puerto Ricans love to party. It is a street festival that is wall to wall people on almost every street in Old San Juan. There is live music in a couple of the squares around the city along with dancing. There is a ton of people just marching around the streets blowing whistles and making noise, having fun singing. One thing that really struck me about our SanSe experience was all the positive energy from everyone in attendance. There was no fighting, rudeness, or any negativity in the air. Young & Old, Resident & Tourist, Wealthy & Poor, Everyone was out with the sole purpose to have a good time. The SanSe Festival was definitely an experience to be cherished!

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

I am not really sure if they march around in groups from cities or families singing, but it seems everyone sings the same songs and knows all the words, from the young kids to the senior citizens… it is a crazy site but very fun and friendly. At times there are parades that go around with guys on stilts and characters with big paper Mache heads and everyone follows them chanting, singing, cheering (think Mardi Gras). We were watching one come by and my son was filming with his GoPro camera when one of the guys on stilts came up and reached for his camera… he grabbed it and started filming up high and then everyone started chanting something in unison… the guy filmed all around then gave the camera back. It was pretty cool.

IMG_09662.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Continued...

more from SanSe... some videos..

Here is the guy that comes and gets my son's GoPro...

th_MVI_0957.mp4

th_MVI_0960.mp4

th_MVI_0956.mp4

Hopefully the video links are working for you.

We decided at about 11:00 pm we wanted to go back to our hotel which is normally a 10 minute drive. It took us an hour to get back in the taxi, luckily they charge by the ride not the time. This festival was the reason we booked this cruise on this date. We had been to a SanSe before by accident (in 2009) and it really left an impression on our kids so they really wanted to show their spouses what it was about. This time it was definitely a little more commercialized but still a great insight into local Puerto Rican culture. It was a really good day… exhausting but good. It was time for some sleep, as we board the Valor tomorrow.

Edited by Dirkgun

Hopefully I didn't quote the pictures too but here it goes...

SanSe is officially the end of Christmas in PR since we celebrate "Three Kings (or The Three Wise Men)" on Jan. 6 and keep going for about 8-10 days after until SanSe. That period is called "Octavitas" (8 days). Most of the people know the same songs since they are part of local folklore and are usually taught to kids since grade school. The big headed characters are "Cabezudos" (literally "big headed") and are usually depictions of persons from PR's social, sports or political history. SanSe has two very clashing and distinct atmospheres. During the daytime you will encounter lots of people strolling around shopping at the artisans stands and eating from every kisosk, stand or whole in the wall there is. During the night...the party is ON!!! If I'm not mistaken Puerto Rico has the longest Christmas season in the world!! Yes, we do LOVE to party!!

Sun Jan 18th Today is the day we board the Valor. We got up and enjoyed the free breakfast at the hotel, then got our things all packed and ready for the ship. We had asked the taxi driver that took us back to the hotel the previous night to come and pick us up to take us to the pier. It was a good thing we did because people that were also going on the cruise were waiting around the lobby for taxis…. They were busy with the festival also so not as easy to come by. Our Driver came promptly at 11:30 and took us to the pier. The roads were already busy from the SanSe festival. Once we got to the pier, got our luggage out and to the porters it went very smooth. San Juan is a great port to board at, they are always friendly and efficient. I don’t know if it seems as if there is never a line because sail away is late so you have all day to board or they are just good at it, either way they make it work. We were on the ship by 12:30. We had to take care of some things at the guest services desk (like changing room occupants etc) also had to buy bottomless bubbles stickers which were actually paid for plus, some on board credit by a price drop and early saver adjustment. Then we went to our rooms on Lido deck and dropped our carry-ons and went for lunch. It is so great to have balcony rooms on Lido… just out the door and around the corner and you are in the pool area, so very close to the buffet and snacks. We were in cabins, 9283, 9287, and 9289 only one more cabin until the end of the hall then any farther back on the Lido was the pool and big screen etc. Once we had lunch we decided we wanted to go into Old San Juan again so off the ship we went. We came back to our rooms to get things we needed… our luggage had arrived so we put in all into rooms and then headed off.

IMG_1256.jpg

Not sure what was wrong with my lighting... but it is a kind of cool look...

IMG_1197.jpg

We walked west along the waterfront, down the Paseo de la Princessa along the Old City Wall and past the Raices Fountain then up the walk, through the old city gate and up to the Great lawn at El Morro. It is a very nice walk with lots to see. Then we braved the mobs of people partying in the streets once again and wound our way back down to the ship. We boarded again painlessly after stopping at CVS and grabbing some Pepsi/Diet Pepsi just in case we needed a drink and did not want to walk to a bar to get one…. At around 8:30 we went to the MDR for dinner; the first night is open seating. We were seated more to the back of the ship and we did not quite get dessert ordered before they called us to our Muster drill at 9:30 pm sharp. One of my pet peeves is people that drag themselves in 20 minutes late with the sole intention to not have to be there as long (now the rest of us have had to be there that extra time). We decided the back row (first ones there) should all get free drink coupons…. It would get people there faster. OK done preaching. It was all over after what seems like an hour but really is only about 10-15 min once they start. Then we went to the buffet to get some dessert then to our rooms for Sail Away. We were on the Starboard side so we got to see the city walls and El Morro.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Thank you Stinger-pr. I had no idea. The more I think about it, a stay at an all-inclusive in PR would probably take away from the actual experience. The time we were at an AI, we stayed on the property except for the off site excursion since everything was included. With it all being included, it can be a waste of money to go out and experience what is beyond the resort. There are so many places in PR that I'd love to see so we wouldn't want to feel obligated to stay in one place. A friend of mine just spent some time in San Juan & then Isabela (she loved it there) and is filling me in on her trip...Isabela and Rincon are now on my list of "want to sees". Thanks for all of your information. When we plan our week there, I'll probably need some of your help. :)

Puerto Rico's west coast has a lot to offer, especially if you love beaches and/or surfing. There's a Courtyard Marriott in Aguadilla (near Isabela, airport code BQN), a Best Western and a Holiday Inn in Mayaguez. But if you're looking for the complete local experience, try the Paradores. Like I said, they're not too big, don't have tons of amenities, but their location helps you soak in your surroundings (be it mountains or beach). Some of the best in that area are Villa del Mar Hau (beachfront), Parador Combate Beach (lots of things to do around, search for their site) and Villa Antonio.

Drop me a line anytime stinger74.2@gmail.com

Hopefully I didn't quote the pictures too but here it goes...

SanSe is officially the end of Christmas in PR since we celebrate "Three Kings (or The Three Wise Men)" on Jan. 6 and keep going for about 8-10 days after until SanSe. That period is called "Octavitas" (8 days). Most of the people know the same songs since they are part of local folklore and are usually taught to kids since grade school. The big headed characters are "Cabezudos" (literally "big headed") and are usually depictions of persons from PR's social, sports or political history. SanSe has two very clashing and distinct atmospheres. During the daytime you will encounter lots of people strolling around shopping at the artisans stands and eating from every kisosk, stand or whole in the wall there is. During the night...the party is ON!!! If I'm not mistaken Puerto Rico has the longest Christmas season in the world!! Yes, we do LOVE to party!!

In 2012 we were in Puerto Rico for Christmas. We cruised the week before then stayed for a few days after. It is a fun place anytime. As far as the singing goes... I can understand the folk type songs but it seemed even the more funky songs everyone was singing and dancing to. Great thing to see.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

I love that view they are so majestic in the lights at night. I think this sail away is almost worth the price of the cruise by itself. If we did not have balconies we would definitely be up on the top deck railing watching during sail away. We could also still hear the Reggaeton and Salsa music playing in Old San Juan since SanSe was still raging until around midnight it was hard to believe they were still partying after “we” left but whatever…. The Valor Slipped out to sea and we went in and turned in for the night.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Today was a very good day.... Up next St Thomas...

Edited by Dirkgun

Dirk, what Camera, just Curious? I edit on Photoshop ( both elements and Studio) on our MACS, but the wife does the Shooting( Nikon D-90x and D-300 DSLR's and a Nikon CoolPix 8800, and CoolPix 6200 APS( adv. point and Shoots) and a recent edition, the Toshiba Cammillo 420 DV cam...we used to shoot Coverage of Football games( HS College and the NFL & Arena) but we're doing outdoor sports now. We've also shot all 6 of the Cruises we have been on together since 2002... The last in 2011 to Bermuda(almost 5000 pics between us)...the wife might be able to help you on settings....

Dr.Bill(Dr. Football)

NSDQ!!!

Edited by DrFootball

Dirk, what Camera, just Curious? I edit on Photoshop ( both elements and Studio) on our MACS, but the wife does the Shooting( Nikon D-90x and D-300 DSLR's and a Nikon CoolPix 8800, and CoolPix 6200 APS( adv. point and Shoots) and a recent edition, the Toshiba Cammillo 420 DV cam...we used to shoot Coverage of Football games( HS College and the NFL & Arena) but we're doing outdoor sports now. We've also shot all 6 of the Cruises we have been on together since 2002... The last in 2011 to Bermuda(almost 5000 pics between us)...the wife might be able to help you on settings....

Dr.Bill(Dr. Football)

NSDQ!!!

I have a Canon T3i DSLR, Along with my underwater Canon D10, My wife shoots with a Sony point and shoot and a Fuji underwater.

Loving your review!!!! Thank you for taking the time to do it, and looking forward to more!!!!:D:D

Thank you, reviews are time consuming but fun to do.

I am so happy to see you've started your review! I have been looking forward to this one. :D I've said before how much I enjoyed your previous reviews and it was your Victory review from 2010 that set my mind into doing this itinerary, which is now my favorite. I've gotten some great ideas already - renting the condo and how and also about the bio-bay by boat instead of the kayaks. I wouldn't mind the kayaks but I feel I'd get more out of the experience being able to enjoy it by boat. I'd love to see El Yunque too. As always, your pictures are great.

Since I knew when your cruise was, I was able to get some screen shots for you from Valor's webcams (when not frozen in the previous day) and also from the webcams in port from St. Thomas and St. Maarten. If you'd like to have those, just let me know. When we were on Liberty last April, someone I "met" through CC did that for us and I was glad to have those.

I'm definitely following along and looking forward to the rest. It is cold and snowy here, I've had it with winter already, and since we don't have a future cruise booked, this is the next best thing. I can't wait till we get a chance to do this itinerary again. I know Liberty is being moved in 2016 and the schedule isn't up and the next ship isn't known yet, but hopefully they'll get that scheduled. Noticed you'll be 50 next year - high school class of '84??? That's me! I'll be 50 this year though, but no cruise lined up to celebrate that. Maybe in September...I'm doing some arm twisting. :D

Again, thank you for doing another review!

pghsteelerfan... I forgot to tell you.... yes would love those shots from the web cams. Can you send them to me? league30refs@hotmail.com

Puerto Rico's west coast has a lot to offer, especially if you love beaches and/or surfing. There's a Courtyard Marriott in Aguadilla (near Isabela, airport code BQN), a Best Western and a Holiday Inn in Mayaguez. But if you're looking for the complete local experience, try the Paradores. Like I said, they're not too big, don't have tons of amenities, but their location helps you soak in your surroundings (be it mountains or beach). Some of the best in that area are Villa del Mar Hau (beachfront), Parador Combate Beach (lots of things to do around, search for their site) and Villa Antonio.

Drop me a line anytime stinger74.2@gmail.com

Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. I probably will have some questions in the future because I'd love to do this.

pghsteelerfan... I forgot to tell you.... yes would love those shots from the web cams. Can you send them to me? league30refs@hotmail.com

I sure can and I'll get those to you now. In case your email is set up with a "junk" or "spam" folder, ours is dgieh@comcast.net and I'll put "Pictures from pghsteelerfan" as the subject so you'll know.

I have to ask you - your night time pictures are always great and so sharp...how do you do that? I love the one of the fort walls lit up at night and also the one looking back at the fort from the ocean - just beautiful.