Review Southern Caribbean Cruise from Puerto Rico Jan 18th -25th on the Valor

Dirkgun

We ordered some conch fritters from the bar and they were pretty good. We also ordered the free welcome drinks that our wristbands got us (a perk from Pereira tours) and they were good as well. After we had played in the water, and relaxed enough we had arranged with our driver to pick us up at 2:30 and he was there early.

DSC00359_1.jpg

IMG_0834_1.jpg

IMG_0799_1.jpg

He (our driver) took us back to the port area where we did some shopping. My favorite part of shopping is sitting somewhere and watching the people…I sat on a bench in the middle of the row of stores and there were all kinds of people strolling by this day. I had some folks stop and talk to me that were on the MSC ship. They were from England and by the time they left we were old friends… hugs goodbye and all. Vacations are funny that way.

The day before in St Lucia my Son bought his girlfriend a pretty tanzanite ring and the Tanzanite international store in St Kitts was sizing it for them. I guess it was contagious because I bought a ring for my sweet Wife and my Son in Law bought my Daughter a ring as well (all Tanzanite). My DS and his GF went to the shopping show in the first of the cruise and got to know the shopping guy. He (the shopping guy, Mike) really was helpful in getting us great deals with the jewelry. Thanks Carnival.

IMG_2793.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

As usual we got back on board the ship close to the all aboard time (never in danger of being late but also not any real extra time either lol) Sail away from St Kitts is a little more melancholy. I think because you realize the cruise is close to the end plus it is a little later in the day so the shadows and sunset add that dramatic touch I guess. I think tonight we grabbed some pizza from the back of the ship. The pizza bar was always pretty busy and I only saw one person manning the counter. This was probably the worst time with Carnival pizza we have experienced. It was still good pizza but it did take a long time to get. Maybe they had a temporary staffing problem… not enough of a problem to worry about but worth mentioning. After a snack, a nap and watching the sunset we got ready for another great night in the MDR. As usual our wait staff was great; we are going to miss them when real life hits.

our towel animal tonight....

IMG_0842.jpg

I read in some other reviews that they have the Gold/Diamond/Platinum party on the afternoon in St Kitts. Did they do that on your sailing and you just opted to skip it? Or do they not have that party anymore?

While we're on that subject, did they have the free bottle of water in your cabin for being a past guest? Or did they by chance have the free drink coupon again? (I know this is wishful thinking haha)

Just a shout out to the OP & pghsteelerfan - recognize the names :)

Sorry to hijack for a moment -

Talk your DH into a St.Lucia inclusive. We are returning to a Rendezvous for third time. Gotta sail Southern route while Liberty there in 2015 not a Fascination.

Thank you. :) St. Lucia is an option and Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos is the other if we do go AI. We have a few friends who have been to Providenciales, T&C, and they highly recommend it. I loved St. Lucia though...decisions, decisions. Carnival Liberty out of San Juan is the other option and we can't go wrong there. :)

Dirkgun, I actually have a question. :) I just got caught up with your day in St. Kitts. Next time we get there, Brimstone Fortress is definitely on the list because I'd love to see it and also the views. We'd also love a half day at the beach. We went to Cockleshell Beach on our Valor cruise and were in the area just to the right of the Reggae Beach bar, on the other side of the little pier. From your pictures it looked totally different since you had beautiful weather. The water, in your pictures, looked a lot different and just beautiful...again, the weather. It rained most of our day there. We didn't get to snorkel at all at Cockleshell but that was mainly our choice due to the weather (we had maybe 45 minutes of sunshine) and we probably wouldn't have seen as much, but from your pictures the snorkeling looked great. I'm also interested in Shipwreck beach, where you were before and would love to try that. Out of the two beaches, which did you prefer? Which one is most scenic, in your opinion? Is Shipwreck nice enough that you'd recommend giving it a try or would we be better off to stick to Cockleshell?

Again, I'm really enjoying this review as much as I've enjoyed the others and looking forward to the rest. I can't believe you'll be on to St. Maarten (last day) already.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I read in some other reviews that they have the Gold/Diamond/Platinum party on the afternoon in St Kitts. Did they do that on your sailing and you just opted to skip it? Or do they not have that party anymore?

While we're on that subject, did they have the free bottle of water in your cabin for being a past guest? Or did they by chance have the free drink coupon again? (I know this is wishful thinking haha)

deladane, Yes I think that party was that day... we did not go. Yes the past guests all got the free drink coupon.... but now they have changed that fleetwide from what I understand. I know I read it from John Heald after we got home.

Thank you. :) St. Lucia is an option and Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos is the other if we do go AI. We have a few friends who have been to Providenciales, T&C, and they highly recommend it. I loved St. Lucia though...decisions, decisions. Carnival Liberty out of San Juan is the other option and we can't go wrong there. :)

Dirkgun, I actually have a question. :) I just got caught up with your day in St. Kitts. Next time we get there, Brimstone Fortress is definitely on the list because I'd love to see it and also the views. We'd also love a half day at the beach. We went to Cockleshell Beach on our Valor cruise and were in the area just to the right of the Reggae Beach bar, on the other side of the little pier. From your pictures it looked totally different since you had beautiful weather. The water, in your pictures, looked a lot different and just beautiful...again, the weather. It rained most of our day there. We didn't get to snorkel at all at Cockleshell but that was mainly our choice due to the weather (we had maybe 45 minutes of sunshine) and we probably wouldn't have seen as much, but from your pictures the snorkeling looked great. I'm also interested in Shipwreck beach, where you were before and would love to try that. Out of the two beaches, which did you prefer? Which one is most scenic, in your opinion? Is Shipwreck nice enough that you'd recommend giving it a try or would we be better off to stick to Cockleshell?

Again, I'm really enjoying this review as much as I've enjoyed the others and looking forward to the rest. I can't believe you'll be on to St. Maarten (last day) already.

Yes Pghsteelerfan... I enjoyed Cockleshell beach ... I think it is a better beach, but the snorkeling is not as good. I really enjoy Shipwreck and it is a very nice beach... just not as nice of sand or as big of a bar/grill but very nice. It is a little closer as well. In 2012 we went with Thenford Grey and toured the Batik, the Brimstone Fort, and then went to Shipwreck for a couple of hours. If you have not been there they would both be great ... I know it is going fast... not quite a fast as the cruise itself seems to go. Lol

deladane, Yes I think that party was that day... we did not go. Yes the past guests all got the free drink coupon.... but now they have changed that fleetwide from what I understand. I know I read it from John Heald after we got home.

Yes Pghsteelerfan... I enjoyed Cockleshell beach ... I think it is a better beach, but the snorkeling is not as good. I really enjoy Shipwreck and it is a very nice beach... just not as nice of sand or as big of a bar/grill but very nice. It is a little closer as well. In 2012 we went with Thenford Grey and toured the Batik, the Brimstone Fort, and then went to Shipwreck for a couple of hours. If you have not been there they would both be great ... I know it is going fast... not quite a fast as the cruise itself seems to go. Lol

Thanks! We're getting ready to watch a TV show we DVR'd but I'm also going to go back to your 2010 and 2012 reviews because I'm getting some more ideas. I loved the beach you went to in Barbados but would also love to see Bathsheba, which I didn't know about until one of your Victory reviews (2010, I think...). I'll probably have questions about that later on.

Nothing goes faster than a cruise. :D

Edited by pghsteelerfan
Grammar error...oops!

Yes I remember reading your Victory review. It is a good one. You are going to love it on the Liberty..... I am hearing they might bring Victory back after Fascination is there for a few months.

I will try to do that.... Oddly enough I still have yet to see one... other than we did find a dead one in the water at the pond where the bridge is in El Yunque.... took pictures of it but did not post them lol They are just small frogs. Such a distinct sound though. Let me see how the best way to do the sound file is.

Our reviews what make our worlds go around. :D

I am plannng another review, I am hoping to find out if Liberty menu & shows will transfer with ship. Have sailed Liberty prior & Victory both great ships.

Did you have the American Table menu on Valor?

I meant in St.Lucia an AI is available limited amount for a day pass at Rendezvous.

Fort is great photo op - especially if ho in afternoon when cruise groups are done.

What were chair costs/umbrella- did I miss that?

Thanks! We're getting ready to watch a TV show we DVR'd but I'm also going to go back to your 2010 and 2012 reviews because I'm getting some more ideas. I loved the beach you went to in Barbados but would also love to see Bathsheba, which I didn't know about until one of your Victory reviews (2010, I think...). I'll probably have questions about that later on.

Nothing goes faster than a cruise. :D

Yeah Paynes bay in Barbados is a nice beach and you can definitely make it there for a few hours then over to Bathsheba... it is worth the time, it is stunning scenery. You know I love to talk about cruises any time any place lol.

Our reviews what make our worlds go around. :D

I am plannng another review, I am hoping to find out if Liberty menu & shows will transfer with ship. Have sailed Liberty prior & Victory both great ships.

Did you have the American Table menu on Valor?

No on the American Table menu... as of yet anyways. I am sure the menu's and shows will transfer along with the crew etc.

I meant in St.Lucia an AI is available limited amount for a day pass at Rendezvous.

Fort is great photo op - especially if ho in afternoon when cruise groups are done.

Are you wondering chair costs at Jalousie beach in St Lucia? IF so $0 they are free to use when you are there... the resort will rent theirs for a $$fee IDK how much though. I think Spencer Ambrose gives that info on his site.

Cost of chair/umbrella...Dirkgun answered for Jalousie Beach (St. Lucia) but in case you meant Cockleshell Beach in St. Kitts, we paid $5.00 chair/lounger but they came in pairs with an umbrella attached. What I'm not sure of now is if it was $5.00 for each of us or total. Very reasonable either way though. If you're looking at the ocean, we stayed just to the right of the Reggae Beach bar (where Dirkgun and family spent the day). Nice area.

Yeah Paynes bay in Barbados is a nice beach and you can definitely make it there for a few hours then over to Bathsheba... it is worth the time, it is stunning scenery. You know I love to talk about cruises any time any place lol.

That was actually going to be my question - is there time to do both Paynes Bay AND Bathsheba...how did you know? Actually, I didn't think there would be time for both and was going to ask you which is a "can't miss", so it's nice that both can be done on the same day. Thanks so much.

Cost of chair/umbrella...Dirkgun answered for Jalousie Beach (St. Lucia) but in case you meant Cockleshell Beach in St. Kitts, we paid $5.00 chair/lounger but they came in pairs with an umbrella attached. What I'm not sure of now is if it was $5.00 for each of us or total. Very reasonable either way though. If you're looking at the ocean, we stayed just to the right of the Reggae Beach bar (where Dirkgun and family spent the day). Nice area.

That was actually going to be my question - is there time to do both Paynes Bay AND Bathsheba...how did you know? Actually, I didn't think there would be time for both and was going to ask you which is a "can't miss", so it's nice that both can be done on the same day. Thanks so much.

In 2010 we actually did a tour of things then went to Paynes bay to swim with the turtles, then went over to bathsheba....I would not tour the golf courses looking for monkeys again lol. I would just go to paynes then over to bathsheba...plenty of time for that.

Sat Jan 24th St Maarten Today we booked a full day tour with stmaarten tours and taxis dot com. SO after breakfast we got off the ship and went and met our tour operator. They met us by the information desk and were very easy to find. Our driver was going to take us anywhere we wanted to go and stay at each location until we were ready to leave. We pretty much had her do the round trip loop of the island. Our first stop was at the Iguana Farm. They have iguanas and other wildlife (donkeys, chickens, ducks, a mother pig and her babies, a big snake (not my favorite, not a snake fan lol) and a few others) the Iguanas are free to roam and they like to hang out still on the other side of the fence. The farm used to be on the French side of the fence but I guess they (the French government) were giving the owner a hassle about things so he moved to the Dutch side but, apparently the Iguanas have not received the memo yet. The owner did take us over to see the really big ones, so it was good. They do not charge to get in here but they do have a gift shop and also welcome donations to their cause. We thanked them for their service and gave them a donation.

group pic at the iguana farm...

IMG_0868_1.jpg

They had a pair of Donkeys and named them....

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

A little guy... very fresh green color.

IMG_0936.jpg

some weird round pink Iguanas....lol. The baby ones were cute.

DSC00382.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

Next we headed over towards Orient beach after stopping at a couple of view points along the way. Our driver was very good at pointing things out and telling us about things. She was also very gracious, taking group pictures for us. She was a very nice lady and had a sweet ride…. A black Lincoln Navigator all decked out inside.

IMG_0885.jpg

This was an elevated overlook, looking out towards Orient bay and beach area.

IMG_0931_1.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

A group of people in some rental scooters/carts?? Touring the island as well, looked fun.

DSC00399.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Orient beach is a very pretty place. It also has some nice waves to play in. You will always see some kite surfers and other kinds of more adventurous water activities here because of the wind and waves. The colors and contrast here are amazing. We did not really spend much time here. We just wanted to see it again and walk around a little, as well as use the rest rooms. Yes Orient beach is the one that has the nude beach on the far end (the far right hand side as you look at the water) so if don’t want to see some un-ironed birthday suits… don’t go that way. All of the beaches there are European so you are going to run into the occasional top less sunbather but not that many. This trip we did not see any.

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

Saw some posers......

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0985_1.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Next we went to Marigot and the French open market to do a little shopping and get some pastries at Serrafinas bakery. They have some really great looking things there. We drooled over them and then made our selections….

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0992_1.jpg

As we were eating we were being harassed by a couple of honey bees. Nothing unfriendly mind you just them asking for some sugar. So while we were shopping I bought some local raw honey to complete the circle.

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

An interesting sculpture in the open market area... the blue lights on it were kind of cool and I am sure would look cool at night.

IMG_1004.jpg

Our next stop was going to be Maho beach to watch the planes come in and take off. Last time we were here the water was extremely rough and the waves had washed sand clear up to and over the road so they had to keep scraping it off. This time it was much calmer. The water looked very good to play in but I wanted to take pictures not get in the water. It is so cool to see the planes coming in and feel the excitement build if it is a big plane…. The bigger the plane the lower they need to get in order to use the most runway. Sometimes you can see the passengers in the windows when they pass they are that low.

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1114_1.jpg

IMG_1116_1.jpg

We saw this weird looking boat there. I do not know what it was but it looked interesting.

IMG_1048.jpg

more Maho pics....

IMG_1078.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

video on Maho..

th_GOPR0651.mp4

Then when they have a big jet come out and get ready to take off… the people just start migrating down there. Some of the crazies get up against the fence to see if they can survive the blast. Most people stay across the street and still get the blast if they are directly behind. I stayed more to the side so I could get pictures of the people and I did not want my DSLR sand blasted…lol. Check this kid in the red shorts out… I don’t think it would have made me fly in the breeze like that but still impressive.

Now for a big jet take off..... the people just flock to the fence line and wait to get blasted/blown.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

check the kid flying in the breeze...

IMG_1147_1.jpg

Edited by Dirkgun

After our time here we headed back to the port to finish up with some shopping and things. We paid our driver the $250 fee for the day (for our group of 6) and gave her a nice tip and said goodbye. We walked around and found some cool things in the shopping area. Then on the way back to the ship we had to go get a Guava berry colada, mmmmm they are good. Did you ever notice that is seems like while you are out on the island… they take and move the ship farther down the pier? There are days that some of those golf cart services to take you to the ship for $$ almost seem worth it.

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1172_1.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

more pics....

DD and SIL getting their ring back after having it sized today....

DSC00449.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

The long walk back to the ship lol.....

IMG_1182.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Sail away today is pretty and again sad… you know you have to get packed up to leave your luggage in the hall by midnight for debarkation the next morning. We relaxed a little, packed a little then got ready for dinner. Tonight is the tough night. It is the last night in the MDR and we have made good friends with our servers. Tonight they sing the goodbye song that always makes me choke up a little (I just want to stay…) and our team are really good showmen as well. After dinner we said goodbye and gave them some extra tips and told them thanks and good luck as one of them (Robin) was probably retiring after this contract (he told us he has been with Carnival for going on 28 years). The other one Batman (Aristotle) was leaving the ship with us in the morning because his contract was done and he got to go home to the Philippines and see his family. I guess they both live in the Philippines but did not know each other before working together, and now they are planning to get together with their families to hang out with each other. You could really tell they liked and respected each other.

Usually it is kind of cool to get a picture of all the luggage in the hall but… every time I would take one out; by the time I got back out there with the next one, it was gone. It was almost like they had recruited some tennis match, ball boys to be the luggage stewards. Finally we got all packed and all of them in the hall. It was Time for sleep.

our Towel Animal...no, Creation. Awwwe

IMG_1185.jpg

Where do you all find these organized excursions? I'm going on my first cruise march 22 the repositioning on the liberty to eastern Caribbean with my DH and our 2 kids a 3 year old and 9 month old

I have found them by using google, reading other reviews, searching the Ports of Call boards here on Cruise Critic etc. If you ask people they will tell you... it helps to know what ports and what you want to do, like a general idea.

I was on this cruise with you! Your pics and review are bringing back good memories of this cruise. Was a great time and wish I was back in PR!

Good I am glad... it definitely is a way to relive the cruise and trip... going through all the memories and writing them down and then searching through pictures. I wish we were there also... :cool::D

No on the American Table menu... as of yet anyways. I am sure the menu's and shows will transfer along with the crew etc.

Are you wondering chair costs at Jalousie beach in St Lucia? IF so $0 they are free to use when you are there... the resort will rent theirs for a $$fee IDK how much though. I think Spencer Ambrose gives that info on his site.

Thank you for answering questions so promptly.

Next we went to Marigot and the French open market to do a little shopping and get some pastries at Serrafinas bakery. They have some really great looking things there. We drooled over them and then made our selections….

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0992_1.jpg

As we were eating we were being harassed by a couple of honey bees. Nothing unfriendly mind you just them asking for some sugar. So while we were shopping I bought some local raw honey to complete the circle.

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

An interesting sculpture in the open market area... the blue lights on it were kind of cool and I am sure would look cool at night.

IMG_1004.jpg

Just wondering -we've done Maho before. Is it worth the taxi fare to go to the French open aire market, or is it like St.Thomas?

Although pastries may be worth the fare LOL Sounds like you shop for local unique things like we do. Next trip I am putting banana ketchup for St.Lucia on my list -always forget until I get home.

Edited by Buffettfan 225