mitsugirly - Ever been to Tortola?

hpecorari

If not, I'd really appreciate if you could get there before my January 2016 cruise so I can read your review! LOL

Harriet

Ditto

When are you going? We just booked the Escape Jan 30th, never been there

There are dozens of Tortola reviews out there.

The main point of the stop at Tortola is to go to Virgin Gorda to the Baths, or to go to Jost Van Dyke. There is not much on Tortola except the Pussar's store and a couple of beaches.

There are dozens of posts explaining how to go to Virgin Gorda on your own. To go to Jost you can either take a water taxi or a ship excursion.

Those are the two things not to be missed.

Here is a review that discussed Tortola:

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/SDII_march2009/SDII%20March%202009.html

and here is another

http://dreamingonthesea.blogspot.com/2010/02/march-9-roadtown-tortola-bvi.html

and another

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/pearl_3_10/pearl_310.htm

Edited by zqvol

We have been to The Baths several times and have also been to Jost Van Dyke. Both are wonderful. The experience of swimming from the boat to the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke is one of a kind. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

There are dozens of Tortola reviews out there.

The main point of the stop at Tortola is to go to Virgin Gorda to the Baths, or to go to Jost Van Dyke. There is not much on Tortola except the Pussar's store and a couple of beaches.

There are dozens of posts explaining how to go to Virgin Gorda on your own. To go to Jost you can either take a water taxi or a ship excursion.

Those are the two things not to be missed.

Here is a review that discussed Tortola:

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/SDII_march2009/SDII%20March%202009.html

and here is another

http://dreamingonthesea.blogspot.com/2010/02/march-9-roadtown-tortola-bvi.html

and another

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/pearl_3_10/pearl_310.htm

Thank you. I've saved the links for later when I'll have more time to read them.

Harriet

We have been to The Baths several times and have also been to Jost Van Dyke. Both are wonderful. The experience of swimming from the boat to the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke is one of a kind. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you. I won't be going until Mid January 2016 and don't know if the Escape will dock or tender at that time. However, the time frame we'll be there will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

I doubt I'll have time for both, although I wish I would....

but if you had to choose just one.....which would it be?

Why?

and can you give a small description of each in your own words rather than Google's.

Thanks!

Harriet

who knows she's asking a lot of you.

Thank you. I won't be going until Mid January 2016 and don't know if the Escape will dock or tender at that time. However, the time frame we'll be there will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

I doubt I'll have time for both, although I wish I would....

but if you had to choose just one.....which would it be?

Why?

and can you give a small description of each in your own words rather than Google's.

Thanks!

Harriet

who knows she's asking a lot of you.

Having been to both places if I had to choose one then I would probably choose Jost Van Dyke with a visit to the Soggy Dollar Bar. My reasoning is that it is a little more off the beaten path then the baths are and the experience of swimming to shore from the boat is very memorable. And In my opinion the beaches on Jost Van Dyke are much nicer then the one at the Baths. The Baths are beautiful but when it comes down to it all they are is large boulders resting on the beach, they do create private coves or "baths" that you can swim in but in my opinion they are often over crowded and if the ocean is rough swimming is very difficult. The scenery at the baths is beautiful but the experiences on Jost Van Dyke are more memorable in my opinion.

Having been to both places if I had to choose one then I would probably choose Jost Van Dyke with a visit to the Soggy Dollar Bar. My reasoning is that it is a little more off the beaten path then the baths are and the experience of swimming to shore from the boat is very memorable. And In my opinion the beaches on Jost Van Dyke are much nicer then the one at the Baths. The Baths are beautiful but when it comes down to it all they are is large boulders resting on the beach, they do create private coves or "baths" that you can swim in but in my opinion they are often over crowded and if the ocean is rough swimming is very difficult. The scenery at the baths is beautiful but the experiences on Jost Van Dyke are more memorable in my opinion.

Thank you for your perspective. Both look awesome and after a while a beach is a beach is a beach. It's the 'experience' I'm looking for!

Harriet