Cruise ships to assist victims

britsbest

Three Carnival ships go to Katrina relief

3/9/2005

Ecstasy, Sensation and Holiday will be pulled from service next week and deployed for six months to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, Carnival Cruise Lines confirmed.

Ecstasy, normally homeported at Galveston, and Sensation, normally homeported in New Orleans, will be pulled from service effective Monday. Initial plans are for both vessels to be docked in Galveston.

The Holiday, which is homeported at Mobile, will be pulled from service effective Thursday. Initial plans are for the vessel to remain docked in Mobile.

Carnival president and ceo Bob Dickinson apologized to guests whose vacations will be impacted. ‘However, given that Hurricane Katrina is the worst natural disaster in U.S. history, we trust our guests will understand that the decision to enter into these charters was the right one. This inconvenience to our guests will provide desperately needed housing for thousands of individuals affected by this tragedy,’ he said. All customers whose bookings have been canceled will be offered full refunds and the opportunity to re-book their cruise on any Carnival ship. Those who re-book will receive a $100 per person shipboard credit. Carnival is protecting travel agent commissions on cancelled cruises.

Thanks for the info - have scoured the news over here in the US and haven't seen that. Of course, we have other news that is far more important at the moment........but we have been hearing these rumors for a couple days now - thanks for confirming.

I'm so glad that they are helping out like that!!!

(I feel sorry for those passangers whose cruise was cancelled, but of course this is WAY more important).

I have to share this with you because it is so ludicrous!... (PLEASE DO NOT KILL THE MESSENGER!!)

I thought it was so wonderful that Carnival is doing this, so I immediately told my co-worker about it, and she stated that those ships are going to be destroyed because of the low-income people!

(HER words, NOT mine!)

I told her she was out of her f&%#ing mind.

It just occured to me they may have some real issues, how are they going to figure who gets an inside cabin and who gets a full suite with balcony? I know at first everyone will be thrilled just to have a place to shower, eat and sleep but after a bit I would think resentment would set in for those who were given the "prime real estate"

Also what about the poor crew members, will FEMA be tipping them since most of their pay is dependant on tips? I think it is a great thing Carnival is doing I just was wondering about these things............

I would think Carnival would pay the crew out of their pocket, that would seem fair and in the spirit of what they are offering already. But it could also be that the crew would do this pro bono. And even if that is the farthest thing from the truth I want to believe thats so. WAY TO GO CARNIVAL CREW! (even if you are getting paid ;))

Of course, it's easy for me to say ... I don't have any cruises booked on those ships in the next six months ... but I think this is WONDERFUL news and I think Carnival is doing right by their passengers with the shipboard credit offered.

This is the worst natural disaster in the history of our country, and even if my much-anticipated 30-day HAL cruise in January were to be cancelled for this relief work, I'd like to think I would be mature enough to agree that there are certainly more higher callings in this life than just going on a cruise. These people have lost everything and they need the help. Glad to hear that Carnival is responding. Maybe some more cruiselines will follow suit.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm so pleased to see Carnival working with FEMA to make these ships available. Even though FEMA is leasing these ships at a fair price, it's still great to see this kind of creative thinking and corporate responsibility.

I hope you're right that Carnival will be providing the crew's tips and normal salaries. Much of the crew comes from impoverished nations and from poor families, and these families are relying on the crew members' incomes. While I'm sure they have a charitable spirit about helping the refugees or relief workers who will be aboard, I can't imagine Carnival would allow them to forgo their tips.

It just occured to me they may have some real issues, how are they going to figure who gets an inside cabin and who gets a full suite with balcony? I know at first everyone will be thrilled just to have a place to shower, eat and sleep but after a bit I would think resentment would set in for those who were given the "prime real estate"

Regarding those who have been left behind in New Orleans, I would think that resentment has already set in – five days of living in a hell watching people die in front of you would pretty much negate any jealousy over an inside vs. a suite. But the ships are being chartered to FEMA more than likely for relief workers and not those displaced.

But the ships are being chartered to FEMA more than likely for relief workers and not those displaced.

bdjam - not sure about that.

Here is text from an ABC News article:

ORLANDO, Fla. Sep 3, 2005 — Three Carnival Cruise Lines ships have been pressed into service by the government to provide shelter for as many as 7,000 hurricane victims.

and the text from under the picture says this:

In this September 2004 file photo, provided by Carnival Cruise Lines, the company's Holiday cruises off Cozumel, Mexico. Carnival announced the Holiday and two other company ships would be pulled from regular cruise service for six months and chartered to the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide temporary housing for Hurricane Katrina victims. The Holiday is to be docked in Mobile, Ala., while the Ecstasy and Sensation will base in Galveston, Texas. (AP Photo/Carnival Cruise Lines, Andy Newman)

I can't remember what station it was (was on in background) but it's my understanding the ships will be used for elderly people who need some assistance and other with injuries .. sort of a "special needs" type situation.. I frankly thought housing relief workers on the ships (or one of them) was a great idea since they could dock right at the downtown area and avoid the travel time.. there are SO few places for power co., engineers etc. to live there now...

GOD BLESS CARNIVAL!!!

I heard they were being used to house "special needs" victims and rescue workers. What's wrong with providng the rescue workers a place to lay their heads after forgoing their jobs and familes to help in the resuce efforts! These are special people to give of themselves the way they are!!!

Deb

As a Carnival shareholder, I am pleased that CCL has taken such a position. Does anyone want to take wagers on how many of the passengers (selfish passengers, that is) that were booked on these three vessels will pitch a fit?

Yes, I do feel very selfish at the moment. I had been looking forward to this vacation. :-(

I think maybe it has happended for a reason. It just may be a blessing that my vacation was cancelled.

Yes, the workers will desparately need food, water, a cool place to lay their heads!! The workers come from everywhere! The electric companies, for one, come from all over the country and Canada. They work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week and have to have some place to rest, rejuvanate to be able to go on!! There are so many different people that come into an area when there is devastation!! God Bless Them!!

Yes, I do feel very selfish at the moment. I had been looking forward to this vacation. :-(

I think maybe it has happended for a reason. It just may be a blessing that my vacation was cancelled.

They didn't really cancel your vacation, just changed what you were going to do!! Look around at other cruises--maybe you are going to find something even better and you will be very excited on the new adventure!! :D

Archived