Very Upset with Carnvial

ClCB0911

I thought the same thing. Until I read the announcement that it was year round.

Ok, now to fuel the fire a bit more about the Victory replacing the Fascination in November 2016 out of San Juan: If you go to the Carnival website and try to book a cruise out of San Juan after October 2016, there are no sailing dates. This would further point to the Fascination just staying in San Juan until October 2016 and then the Victory coming in November, as posted on the Port of St. Maarten's website.

I normally don't like to put too much weight on rumors (specially the ones by a friend's cousin who is good friends with an elementary school classmate of one of the waiters on the ship!), but in this case, there is some verifiable information that points to the swap from Fascination to Victory.

Time will tell.

Edited by Tapi

I'm one of the ones who LOVES the itinerary out of San Juan and think it's the most scenic. If we get an opportunity to take another cruise (my choice would be that itinerary) in 2016, I would not hesitate to go on the Fascination. I've always wanted to try one of the smaller ships. The only thing, and go ahead and call me a "balcony snob", would be the balcony. It's not a necessity but that is one thing we really enjoyed on on Valor cruise on the southern itinerary out of San Juan...sitting out on the balcony in early in the mornings as we sailed into these beautiful islands (and saw the Pitons the morning we sailed into St. Lucia). It was also very enjoyable at night as we headed north from St. Lucia seeing other islands all lit up in the distance.

What I'd really love Carnival to do is have TWO ships sail out of San Juan on the southern itinerary. One staying on the current route and another going to some of the other islands: Dominica, Martinique, St. Croix, Antigua, Grenada, Tortola, etc., etc.

Just a question for anyone - are there lesser visited islands in the southern Caribbean that can accommodate only smaller cruise ships (St. Barts, for example) and by moving Fascination to San Juan maybe add a different itinerary occasionally?

The promotion of the ship as being there "year round" is to make it clear that they will be sailing in the summer. I do believe all of the other lines pull their ships during the summer months, so Carnival will have absolutely no competition then. In the fall RCI, NCL, and Celebrity will all have competing ships.

I really had planned to sail in the summer of 2016, but will be going earlier or later so I can just grab a better ship on another line. I enjoy Carnival and have 2 cruises coming up, but I am not that loyal to sail an inferior ship compared to similarly-priced competition.

The promotion of the ship as being there "year round" is to make it clear that they will be sailing in the summer. I do believe all of the other lines pull their ships during the summer months, so Carnival will have absolutely no competition then. In the fall RCI, NCL, and Celebrity will all have competing ships.

I really had planned to sail in the summer of 2016, but will be going earlier or later so I can just grab a better ship on another line. I enjoy Carnival and have 2 cruises coming up, but I am not that loyal to sail an inferior ship compared to similarly-priced competition.

This is exactly how I feel. I fell in love with San Juan on my last cruise, and was looking forward to treating myself to a retirement celebration cruise in May or June 2016, but given this news, I will postpone that plan, or book on another cruise line. I have been wanting to broaden my cruise line experience for some time now anyway, so might as well start in 2016. Not saying I wont come back to Carnival, but this just one more reason to look around.