Documentation for kids

Jakhenry

We are cruising for the first time in two weeks. Both kids have passports, but will they still need birth certificates or other ID? They are 12 and 16 if that matters. Thanks!

Your 16-year-old will require photo ID to re-board at ports - if you don't want to carry the passport around, make sure to bring another form of photo ID (school, learners permit) etc.

The only other documentation that might be needed for Children is a notorized letter from a Parent that isn't sailing with them. For example when my Daughter was under 18, we would have to get a notorized letter from her Dad giving permission to leave the Country. I would get one for every cruise but was only asked for it once.

We also got them when we brought our Niece on board with us.

I have not nor has my son ever been asked to show ID when reboarding the ship except for one time when a man tried to illegally board the ship. We got there just in time to see him being led down the gang plank in handcuffs. You key card is 99% of the time all you will need.

I always get passport cards for both of us to use as a primary form of Identification because it does not list a home address. It paid off for me in that particular situation as the passport books were in the safe on board.

We do take our daughter's passport with us when going into port. Even though she stays with us the whole time, I like having that photo ID handy just in case. And sometimes the security staff gets a kick when we offer to show the passport to them.

A few renewals later, the next one she gets will be her first adult one.