what compensation have other Epic customers been offered?

Wee Blonde

We were on the 14 day itinerary from southampton, we have received a copy of the letter offering $50 OBC.

I can today access my online account which is showing the new sailing date, however our cabin and deck have been changed. The price has also increased over £400 each, and the cost for us to change just our flights leaving Barcelona is over £210.

Also to make this all worse my PCC is in 3 weeks of training and we just called NCL who said they cant deal with it our PCC will have too!!!

Also when we tried to ring the telephone number on the letter received from NCL with regards to this sailing change, it states they are open Monday-Friday 9-6pm, at 530pm its closed.:confused::confused::confused:

NCL have only $50 obc per room for the cancellation of the 11th oct sailing. Despite the repeated emails, phonecalls and lack of help from PCC. Is this the same for everyone?

That sounds to be in line with compensations given earlier for people that have gotten their cruises cancelled (for example when Jade was chartered to be a hotel ship in Sochi during the olympics).

Since the cancellation was made before the final payment, they are not obligated to give any compensation for the cancelled cruise. If there are extra costs from for example changing flights etc, that is why travellers insurances are for.

Edited by Demonyte

My cruise has been affected by this as well. Originally 11 Oct 2015 Iberian Peninsula. That seems to be their standard offer, the 50 USD OBC and there has been mention of 150 USD for airfare change fee.

My issue is airline miles and flight change fees. I do have trip insurance, but they will not reimburse airline miles. Oh and guess what; there may be an additional trip insurance cost to change the dates of the cruise.

My biggest issue is the way this has been handled by NCL. I checked my booking 7 days ago and found this cancellation on my own. I knew more about the cancellation and possible itinerary change from cruise critic than my travel pro and NCL. I just got official notification 8 days later. My booking still shows a blank date with no itinerary and my travel agency still has me on the wrong itinerary Western Med vs Iberian Peninsula on 18 Oct 2015.

For me this is becoming a deal breaker, and a possible no go on NCL ever again. Things break and dates change, I understand that. But a measure of the company is how well they deal with the changes and treat their customers. Thus far NCL has failed miserably on all counts.

Good luck to all affected, I think we are going to need it.

My cruise has been affected by this as well. Originally 11 Oct 2015 Iberian Peninsula. That seems to be their standard offer, the 50 USD OBC and there has been mention of 150 USD for airfare change fee.

My issue is airline miles and flight change fees. I do have trip insurance, but they will not reimburse airline miles. Oh and guess what; there may be an additional trip insurance cost to change the dates of the cruise.

Good luck to all affected, I think we are going to need it.

I know on AA if you book a flight with miles, you can cancel the flight and redeposit the miles back in your account for a $150 fee. Wouldn't their airfare change fee reimbursement cover that?

It would, I have checked in to rebook the flights as soon as NCL can confirm my new cruise. When I ran the dates, however the flight back is now a premium rewards category, versus a regular rewards category; requiring more miles or a trip extension. Per AA/US Air I have to rebook. To add to the heartburn, if I read the trip insurance right: AA is disqualified for reimbursement because they have filed for bankruptcy in the past. Anyone have confirmation on this? Thanks, will keep you updated.

In Feb 2014 I booked POA for 27.2.16 cruise for our anniversary on 29.2.16. In Nov 2014 I received an email letter saying our cruise was cancelled as POA would be in dry dock. They offered us $50 OBC and to choose another date at the same price we booked for. I was happy with that as the price has not been cheaper since then. What I wasn't happy about was that we no longer had something special planned for our anniversary that we only have every four years.

UK bookings with NCL are covered by

The package holiday regulations(Cruises include transport and accomodation so are a package).

ABTA code of conduct(Y2687)

ATOL if using cruise line flights(Atol 2752)

If booked through a TA you maybe under their ATOL.

here is the which guide to the package holiday regs.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations

pay particular attention

to the alternative holiday offers and that they can't charge more.

Compensation like flights booked seperately.

Remember in UK/EU law a company cannot overide statutory terms in their contracts.

In Feb 2014 I booked POA for 27.2.16 cruise for our anniversary on 29.2.16. In Nov 2014 I received an email letter saying our cruise was cancelled as POA would be in dry dock. They offered us $50 OBC and to choose another date at the same price we booked for. I was happy with that as the price has not been cheaper since then. What I wasn't happy about was that we no longer had something special planned for our anniversary that we only have every four years.

Why not just cancel the cruise and find a different one on a different line that does coincide with your anniversary?

I would think you would celebrate your anniversary every year on the day after Feb 28. Will someone born 2/29/04 be turning 3 years old next year?:)

Why not just cancel the cruise and find a different one on a different line that does coincide with your anniversary?

Believe it or not I have my heart set on Hawaii and want to go no matter what. It was more special going on our anniversary but I am just happy to be going. No way I would want to cancel and do something else at this stage.

I would think you would celebrate your anniversary every year on the day after Feb 28. Will someone born 2/29/04 be turning 3 years old next year?:)

My husband will tell people that we have only been married for five years. Of course I correct him and say we have had five anniversaries but have been married 23 years. Anyway one of my sisters has her anniversary on 1st March and it's also my other sister's birthday on 1st March so that date is out for us. It's become our thing to only celebrate every four years and largely ignoring the other years apart from the ususal "happy anniversary" / "it's not our anniversary" banter around midnight between the 28th and 1st. We try to do something pretty special though when it does come around. For our anniversary in 2020 I am already planning Antarctica unless we can get there sooner (hoping for 2018!) but there is an awful lot of saving to be done.

Believe it or not I have my heart set on Hawaii and want to go no matter what. It was more special going on our anniversary but I am just happy to be going. No way I would want to cancel and do something else at this stage.

I understand. Is it possible for you to take two weeks off? if so, you can take a Princess cruise from LA/SF/SD to Hawaii and back. If not, then I'm sorry you can't go over your special day but hope you enjoy the cruise on the different date.