number of "dressy" nights on NCL 7 nt Breakaway?

All the 7 night cruises we have gone on previously had 2 dressy nights. This will be our first NCL cruise and from reading their website it looks like there will only be ONE dressy night (plus a White Hot Night). Is this correct? My family wants to dress up so it will be exceedingly helpful to know if we need to pack formal clothes for one night or two.

Thank you in advance for your helpfulness!

There are no formal nights. There will be one night that you can choose to dress up if you want. You are welcome to dress up for all nights if you please, or for none of the nights. The night that some people choose to dress formal is called Norwegians Night Out. Look for that in your Freestyle Daily, although the daily will not tell you to dress up.

There are no formal nights. There will be one night that you can choose to dress up if you want. You are welcome to dress up for all nights if you please, or for none of the nights. The night that some people choose to dress formal is called Norwegians Night Out. Look for that in your Freestyle Daily, although the daily will not tell you to dress up.

I was pretty much going to say this! None or all!!

It's either 0, 1, 2,3,4,5,6 or 7 as there are no dressy or requirements.

White hot or glow party you can wear white if you want

On captains photos night you can dress up if you want, you can dress every night if you want.

Some, quite a lot won't dress formally at all and that's acceptable as well..

All the 7 night cruises we have gone on previously had 2 dressy nights. This will be our first NCL cruise and from reading their website it looks like there will only be ONE dressy night (plus a White Hot Night). Is this correct? My family wants to dress up so it will be exceedingly helpful to know if we need to pack formal clothes for one night or two.

Thank you in advance for your helpfulness!

For our Breakaway cruise, we dressed up during Norwegian's Night Out. This was during the first sea day of the cruise. You will have the opportunity to have photos taken with the Captain.

We had the "Glow Party" instead of the "White Hot Party". 10612853_866906489987297_4452698384809893317_n.jpg?oh=2daa7b03f6fcb9ee73a4f990063c6a34&oe=554A7B33&__gda__=1434999791_37a1393e280f225c75ca01e948ee6962

10628344_866906493320630_79331461357490649_n.jpg?oh=5ffbf368635b0bd7a9334eccc794d90d&oe=5573DE45&__gda__=1433651640_f0fd3cd358d55c532b075ee8ce02bc37

Just to give you a heads up, 75%-80% of people dress up on the formal night (Norwegian's Night Out). While it is not official, and they won't not allow you in the MDR like they do on other lines, it is still just as big of a deal. Literally the only difference is the being allowed in the MDR.

My advice- get fancy and enjoy it!

Just to give you a heads up, 75%-80% of people dress up on the formal night (Norwegian's Night Out). While it is not official, and they won't not allow you in the MDR like they do on other lines, it is still just as big of a deal. Literally the only difference is the being allowed in the MDR.

I dont agree with this at all. On our last NCL cruise (Epic) almost no one was dressed up on the "Dress up or not night." My wife and I were dressed and actually felt out of place because people were staring at us for being in formal wear....we will no longer be bringing formal clothes on future cruises.

6&8

This is just not true. We are recently off the Sun and I have to say on any given night there were < 25% of the people dressed up period…. Lots of shorts, khakis golf shirts etc for men and sundresses for women.

I don't recall seeing any tuxedos/suits or fancy gowns for that matter

Completely wrong. I'd say on all my cruises its been more like max 25% dress up.

I have cruised NCL many times, and not once have I seen anywhere near that number. Yes, many people dress nicely, but if you are talking about "formal wear," less than 5% IMO.

I'm agreeing with the others here... We didn't see any more people dressed up on Norwegian's Night Out than on any other night of the cruise. Maybe 20% I'd guess. This was the same for both of our cruises last year.

I have cruised NCL many times, and not once have I seen anywhere near that number. Yes, many people dress nicely, but if you are talking about "formal wear," less than 5% IMO.

Let me clarify what I mean by formal wear. I do not mean tuxedos and gowns. I am referring to suits and cocktail dresses. I think 75% is very accurate in regard to the number of people wearing those type of close on "formal night".

Let me clarify what I mean by formal wear. I do not mean tuxedos and gowns. I am referring to suits and cocktail dresses. I think 75% is very accurate in regard to the number of people wearing those type of close on "formal night".

I stand my by 20% number on both of our cruises last year. Maybe it depends on the ship?

Not to mention that there is nothing in the Daily that indicates this is a dress up night. It says Norwegians Night Out, but if you don't know what that means, you'd not really have reason to guess. It is not listed as a formal night any place.

Edited by LrgPizza

My experience was not even close to that on all my NCL cruises. MAYBE 20% at most wore cocktail dresses and suits.

Alright everyone, well we can agree to disagree. I know there has been a "war" on dressing up the past couple of years, and it seems like more and more people are against it on this forum. When I was on the Gem 2 years ago, the Norwegian's Night Out was explained on the daily, and I also heard a few announcements about it. Perhaps that has changed since then?

To the OP, you will have a great time regardless of what you do. Dress up if you'd like and take a step back in time, you won't regret it! Or dress casual, and still have fun :-)

Edited by Doc2725

Only one night as stated, we always dress up, we enjoy it! It is a down fall of course in my opinion to only have one night and not two..

Agreed :-) It takes a few extra minutes to dress up, and looks really nice. When everyone gets onboard (no pun intended) with a theme night like "formal night", it makes it a ton of fun. I attitube the downfall in course to laziness of people.

Agreed :-) It takes a few extra minutes to dress up, and looks really nice. When everyone gets onboard (no pun intended) with a theme night like "formal night", it makes it a ton of fun. I attitube the downfall in course to laziness of people.

Gotta tell you, I couldn't disagree more. I have to dress up every day when I go to work, as does my wife. I'm on vacation to unwind and have a good time and lugging around a suit or tuxedo for me or a gown for my wife doesn't appeal to me.

Lazy? Don't think so...

Jim

Methinks you don't understand the concept of "Freestyle". Your idea of fun may not be mine. If you want to dress up, great. Enjoy. If you don't, great. Lots of options for everyone.

Freestyle.

I find that quite insulting. Lots of cruise lines have formal nights, NCL does not.

You mention you sailed on the Gem 2 years ago. What other NCL ships have you sailed on? I see you are due to go on Breakaway and I do hope you don't get disappointed by the majority of "lazy people" on the "not formal" Norwegians night out.

It just depends on your point of view. My idea of dressed up is a cocktail or maxi-dress. DH's idea is new jeans or kahkais and a polo, and adult DS idea is anything other than pajama pants. So technically we all dressed up for the dress up night, (at least in our own minds) just maybe not to everyone's standards. That's the beauty of freestyle to each his own!