gty question

kgymn

Ok, so I am familiar that if you book a guaranty you get minimum the category you paid the gty for, any room in that category at all luck of the draw. But I am only familiar with, say, a GTY for the lowest balcony and you could get any balcony room and having to pay more to select your room. What I am seeing is that at a certain point specific categories where normally you would select your own room instead allow you just to book a GTY for THAT specific category.

So for the sailing we are looking to book (on POA) there is the option to book an Aft Balcony guarantee. Why would it be booking a GTY instead of selecting a cabin? What does it mean that they are no longer giving the option to choose which cabin, does it mean there are perhaps ADA/hearing impaired rooms they are keeping on the back burner in that category just in case someone with the need books, does it mean there are no currently available cabins in that category but they are trying to upsell people out of it?

I'm sure with it being the highest category balcony you basically KNOW you are getting that category, I can't imagine it would be common to get bumped to a suite in that case.

I have been wondering but before today it wasn't going to effect my booking plans, we were going to go with a large balcony on the port side and choose our own but after a small price reduction and a small unexpected and quite well timed bonus at work the price for the aft balconies is looking like it is within our budget now so I want to make sure we are happiest as we can with what we book!

~Katy

I'm sure with it being the highest category balcony you basically KNOW you are getting that category, I can't imagine it would be common to get bumped to a suite in that case.

You are right that cross-meta upgrades are not common, but this is the sort of situation where you might be most likely to get one. (To be honest I don't know exactly how likely this is for full suites, and especially not on POA.)

If you would be happy with any of the aft balconies, and with any of the suites for the same price :p, I'd say go for the GTY.

As for why they are only offering GTY in this category, I think all of the reasons you mentioned are possibilities, or maybe TAs have some of these cabins reserved that they are hoping to sell, and at some point they will release the leftovers back to NCL. Or some other mysterious "operational reasons" that we will never fully know!

Ok, so I am familiar that if you book a guaranty you get minimum the category you paid the gty for, any room in that category at all luck of the draw. But I am only familiar with, say, a GTY for the lowest balcony and you could get any balcony room and having to pay more to select your room. What I am seeing is that at a certain point specific categories where normally you would select your own room instead allow you just to book a GTY for THAT specific category.

So for the sailing we are looking to book (on POA) there is the option to book an Aft Balcony guarantee. Why would it be booking a GTY instead of selecting a cabin? What does it mean that they are no longer giving the option to choose which cabin, does it mean there are perhaps ADA/hearing impaired rooms they are keeping on the back burner in that category just in case someone with the need books, does it mean there are no currently available cabins in that category but they are trying to upsell people out of it?

I have been wondering but before today it wasn't going to effect my booking plans, we were going to go with a large balcony on the port side and choose our own but after a small price reduction and a small unexpected and quite well timed bonus at work the price for the aft balconies is looking like it is within our budget now so I want to make sure we are happiest as we can with what we book!

~Katy

Your understanding of the GTY is very close, but not 100%. Every category has cabins. Many people believe, for example, that BX is a balcony guarantee, but there are actually BX cabins.

When NCL offers BX as a guarantee, it means you could get any category, BX or better. Same thing can happen for a BB cabin. If you book a BB guarantee, you will get a BB or better.

In your case, you are being offered a B1 (which is the highest balcony category) guarantee, which means you will get a B1 or better.

Chances are that you would NOT be upgraded to a suite. However, a very real possibility exists for you to be upgraded to a minisuite, which means you could be placed in ANY M_ category cabin.

The important thing to realize is that "Aft-facing" is NOT part of the guarantee...you could end up in a non aft-facing cabin.

Your understanding of the GTY is very close, but not 100%. Every category has cabins. Many people believe, for example, that BX is a balcony guarantee, but there are actually BX cabins.

When NCL offers BX as a guarantee, it means you could get any category, BX or better. Same thing can happen for a BB cabin. If you book a BB guarantee, you will get a BB or better.

In your case, you are being offered a B1 (which is the highest balcony category) guarantee, which means you will get a B1 or better.

Chances are that you would NOT be upgraded to a suite. However, a very real possibility exists for you to be upgraded to a minisuite, which means you could be placed in ANY M_ category cabin.

The important thing to realize is that "Aft-facing" is NOT part of the guarantee...you could end up in a non aft-facing cabin.

And it is a very good possibility that it won't be an aft facing. Much more likely to be low-mid level mini suite.

And it is a very good possibility that it won't be an aft facing. Much more likely to be low-mid level mini suite.

No mini-suites on POA.

Correct there are no mini-suites on the POA.

We'd be happy with any aft balcony room for sure, I have heard they have the best views. And if they happened, by some minute chance, to put us in a suite, well, it's a suite. For WAY LESS than it would cost to just book a suite in the first place, so even if we ended up on the opposite side of the ship than I prefer I think we would live with it.

Thanks for the insight, everyone.

~Katy

I'm following this thread because I have booked a Balcony GTY on Dawn in May. No assignment yet. I booked this because I really want a balcony. I understand now that there are some suites that just have a wall of windows and no balcony? I'm assuming that I will not be bumped up to a suite, but if this scenario played out and I ended up without a balcony. I would not be thrilled. Call me silly. It's just my opinion.

I'm following this thread because I have booked a Balcony GTY on Dawn in May. No assignment yet. I booked this because I really want a balcony. I understand now that there are some suites that just have a wall of windows and no balcony? I'm assuming that I will not be bumped up to a suite, but if this scenario played out and I ended up without a balcony. I would not be thrilled. Call me silly. It's just my opinion.

Since Dawn has mini-suites, your chance of not getting a cabin with balcony is slim to none, there are plenty of balconies and mini-suites that are in undesirable locations (hull balconies in front of the ship and mini-suites under noisy venues on deck 12) and therefore often are not booked by people choosing their cabins.

I'm assuming that I will not be bumped up to a suite, but if this scenario played out and I ended up without a balcony. I would not be thrilled. Call me silly. It's just my opinion.

Silly. :p. Those suites are pretty great, even w/o a balcony. It'd be worth the loss of the balcony to get NCL's suite perks, which are amazing.

Silly. :p. Those suites are pretty great, even w/o a balcony. It'd be worth the loss of the balcony to get NCL's suite perks, which are amazing.

Not necessarily for all people. A balcony is more important to me than the suite perks.

Not true for me. I'd rather have a balcony. We booked one and really did miss the balcony although the cabin was awesome. :D