Charters or Large Groups Onboard

Cruiser Andi

dfish, please share your experience asking your PCC for information regarding groups on your cruise. I have been unable to get any info from my PCC or ships services regarding groups booked on our upcoming cruise other than ships services telling me it is "pretty full with 3 groups booked." I started another thread about this a while back. Not intending to rehash here, just curious if others are able to get good info from HAL. Thanks!

I expressed my concern to HAL last year (on FB) when it appeared that a large group would be on a cruise this last January. I received a letter saying that HAL Group Administration Dept would be happy to let me know if a group would be onboard. They did let me know and I cancelled my reservation.

The letter also said that HAL tries to balance the needs of the group with the needs of individual guests....not sure if that is really true. I didn't want to find out first hand.

I wouldn't be quick to cancel but now that you have group contact information, call them from time to time 'pretending' to be interested in booking with the group and ask how many participants they have. If the numbers stay reasonable, no problem. :)

Twice I've gotten a heads-up that groups were booked on a cruise we were taking. I just contacted the group organizers (one by phone, one by email). Told them we were booked on the cruise and were wondering how many people they were expecting to be in their groups. Both times got answers that were consistent with the number of group members we saw onboard. Mind you, both those groups were under 200 each. I don't know if they'd have been as forthcoming if they were truly expecting 1,000 people.