Not sure if I want to book-Getaway rolls alot

vegasgirl6

I've been reading some reviews that say this ship has more movement than any other they have been on. I want to book a cruise for me and my daughter, but she gets motion sickness very easily and I would not want to book this ship if that's the case.

Any input will be greatly appreicated. Looking to book 1st week in August. (Another "i"m not sure because of hurricane season.)

I get motion sickness and have been on Breakaway twice and Getaway once and have never felt sick. I do think I felt more motion on Getaway than on Breakaway even though the seas were calmer, and certainly more motion than on Gem. I'm not sure why other than the height of the Mega ship. But its really not bad.

I'm another who suffers from motion sickness, but never felt any movement on the Getaway.

We sailed last August and I was on Hurricane look-out for ages beforehand ( but that's just because I'm British and we don't experience them here!)

The very THOUGHT of getting caught up in rough seas had me feeling queasy! :o

I'm sure you will be as fine as I was! :)

I don't see why we are having multiple threads started abut this ship rolling around:confused: You get the same answers.

If you believe some people here, then simply don't book this ship. All ships rock when conditions are right.

I don't see why we are having multiple threads started abut this ship rolling around:confused: You get the same answers.

If you believe some people here, then simply don't book this ship. All ships rock when conditions are right.

I agree.

Poster should at least refer us to the postings about this. Every ship rocks. some more than others.

I get motion sickness and have been on Breakaway twice and Getaway once and have never felt sick. I do think I felt more motion on Getaway than on Breakaway even though the seas were calmer, and certainly more motion than on Gem. I'm not sure why other than the height of the Mega ship. But its really not bad.

I had the same experience. I sailed the Breakaway to Bermuda in May 2013 and it was pretty smooth sailing until the last day and we hit 27 ft waves. I didn't think the ship movement was too bad, you could feel it from time to time but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I tend to get motion-sick and I made sure I took my Bonine, wore my pressure point bands and had ginger chews.

I cruised the Getaway last year and we had pretty calm waters, 5ft waves the entire trip. However, holy smokes did this ship MOVE! In the Garden Cafe you could look out the back and see the ship going up and down, my husband almost got sick because of the motion back there. The entire cruise we felt more motion than on the Breakaway.

It's so odd considering they're sister ships and I figured the Breakaway would have a lot of movement crossing the Atlantic.

For both cruises we stayed in a Mid Ship Mini-Suite.

I had the same experience. I sailed the Breakaway to Bermuda in May 2013 and it was pretty smooth sailing until the last day and we hit 27 ft waves. I didn't think the ship movement was too bad, you could feel it from time to time but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I tend to get motion-sick and I made sure I took my Bonine, wore my pressure point bands and had ginger chews.

I cruised the Getaway last year and we had pretty calm waters, 5ft waves the entire trip. However, holy smokes did this ship MOVE! In the Garden Cafe you could look out the back and see the ship going up and down, my husband almost got sick because of the motion back there. The entire cruise we felt more motion than on the Breakaway.

It's so odd considering they're sister ships and I figured the Breakaway would have a lot of movement crossing the Atlantic.

Apples to oranges. Up and down motion is pitching not rolling. All ships no matter the size pitch in heavy seas and stabilizers do not help. Rolling is the side to side motion and stabilizers do greatly affect that motion. Even aircraft carriers pitch heavily in high seas, but most/all current cruise ships have stabilizers for rolling motion.

but not the whole cruise, right? I'm wondering if it happens while going through the gulf stream.

Edited by RuthlessBoss

I've been reading some reviews that say this ship has more movement than any other they have been on. I want to book a cruise for me and my daughter, but she gets motion sickness very easily and I would not want to book this ship if that's the case.

Any input will be greatly appreicated. Looking to book 1st week in August. (Another "i"m not sure because of hurricane season.)

Apparently, a few cruisers encountered rough seas for the first time and reported their experience. Any ship afloat will have movement if the conditions are right, but are usually very stable. The Getaway does not move more than any other of the dozen or so we have sailed on. Luck of the draw what weather conditions you get. The captain will reroute to avoid bad weather as much as possible to avoid discomfort for passengers. Most of the time it is like being in a hotel. Talk to a Dr or pharmacist about what is an appropriate "just in case" OTC for your daughter. Many take Bonine beginning the night before the cruise. We always carry it just in case, but I have not been seasick for years and we cruise once or twice a year.

The seas in the North Atlantic the past couple of months have been rough, and ANY ship is going to have motion in 30 foot seas and 55 knot winds. I don't care how big you make the ship, the ocean is still way bigger. I've been on aircraft carriers, which are probably the steadiest ships imaginable, and we would have taken big rolls in such a sea state. If you sail from New York in wintertime, you shouldn't be surprised to run into high seas on your first day or two out. It's the North Atlantic, not the Caribbean.

the seas in the north atlantic the past couple of months have been rough, and any ship is going to have motion in 30 foot seas and 55 knot winds. I don't care how big you make the ship, the ocean is still way bigger. I've been on aircraft carriers, which are probably the steadiest ships imaginable, and we would have taken big rolls in such a sea state. If you sail from new york in wintertime, you shouldn't be surprised to run into high seas on your first day or two out. It's the north atlantic, not the caribbean.

amen

You would need at least 20'-25' seas to feel the "roll", and thats with the stabilizers deployed. For the most common cruises for the Getaway ship, 25' seas is less common.

Edited by DAVECHIPP1974

You read more about this on the Getaway because it is one of the new ships sailing the open North Atlantic waters all the time. These seas are very variable and will be rougher on average than the caribbean. On some days it is real rough. The ship cannot slow down and deploy stabilizers as often as other ships might because it needs to make time when enroute to/from NYC.

So yes, you will get more potential for movement. Pack seabands and dramamine. We sailed RCL Explorer of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas when they sailed out of Bayonne. THose itineraries were 9 days with 2 days transit each direction. That gave more leeway for slowing in rough seas. And we saw some super rough seas... so much the dining rooms were empty and once the open decks were all closed!

The OP is considering the Getaway in August, sailing out of Miami, not NYC. They will be no where near the North Atlantic. Worst case scenario would be a tropical storm or hurricane in the Carribean which could stir things up a little.

OP, if you must cruise in hurricane season, then your chances of bad weather on the Getaway are no better or worse than any other ship in the Caribbean at that time. And it will be just as stable as any other. We have often sailed during hurricane season cause the rates are great.

Apples to oranges. Up and down motion is pitching not rolling. All ships no matter the size pitch in heavy seas and stabilizers do not help. Rolling is the side to side motion and stabilizers do greatly affect that motion. Even aircraft carriers pitch heavily in high seas, but most/all current cruise ships have stabilizers for rolling motion.

It also rolled back and forth but the pitch was very noticeable in the aft.

Just commenting on how different the movements felt from the Breakaway to the Getaway. A few people we talked with in the Getaway had also sailed the Breakaway and agreed the Getaway had more movement.

Perhaps your decision is whether to book a cruise at all due to her motion sickness. If you decide to book then decide on how to manage her issue (pills, bracelet, etc.)

You may want to consider a short cruise as a test, i.e. Sky. It isn't as kid friendly as the Getaway, but if the trip is a disaster it will last half the time.

Just commenting on how different the movements felt from the Breakaway to the Getaway. A few people we talked with in the Getaway had also sailed the Breakaway and agreed the Getaway had more movement.

What you are describing is like someone who encountered turbulence on a Southwest flight and swore they never had that issue on United. The issue is the ocean conditions at any given time, not the ship.

Our sailing ( and that of many others ) on the Getaway had no roll or pitch problems. How do you account for that?

Not sure why that is. We have not sailed on Breakaway, but as mentioned, I am a seasoned cruiser, and definitely felt more movement on the Getaway than any other ship sailing from Florida, at any time of the year. We did not have "rough seas" either. It wouldn't stop me from sailing again, but the movement was definitely there.

We love Getaway ...but it is this only ship on which one of my children , age 16, gets seasick. She had not manifested motion sickness symptoms since toddlerhood and at first thought that she had just had too much sun or eaten too much.

She did fine after taking Meclazine or Benadryl, wearing sea bands and eating ginger candies. Never ill enough to completely sideline her, but she felt pretty cruddy.

She had the same experience on our second trip on GA but not as severe . She took the Bonine as soon as we left Miami. She has been on many cruises and Getaway seems to induce motion sickness in her.

She has been on many cruise, larger ships and much smaller . Does she want to stop cruising? No way!!

Edited by raymondreddington

It's a ship on water - it moves. And then there is wind...and its a ship on water. Expect some movement. Take motion sick precautions like Bonine (OTA) or Scopolamine (script) and your daughter will be fine. I can't sit in a swing without getting motion sick (or ride on an elevator...or sit shotgun in a car...or pretty much anything) and the patch worked great.