Norwegian Star Enters Drydock 03/03/15

CaboWabo62

Norwegian Star Drydock 2015

Link to Oregonlive story

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia...norwegian.html

We live outside Portland, If I have time I will try and get some dry dock pictures. Swan Island shipyard is on the Willamette river work is being done at Vigor Industrial (Home of largest floating drydock in United states)

Thanks for the article. There is another Star dry dock thread - link follows. We went in to Portland and took some photos of the Star as she was leaving the Columbia River and entering the Willamette on her way to the Vigor Industrial dry dock location. Photos are posted in below thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146627

Norwegian Star Drydock 2015

Link to Oregonlive story

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia...norwegian.html

We live outside Portland, If I have time I will try and get some dry dock pictures. Swan Island shipyard is on the Willamette river work is being done at Vigor Industrial (Home of largest floating drydock in United states)

Thanks for the link. These pictures are great. I'm wondering where the life boats went once "deployed". Looking forward to more pictures as the dry dock work gets underway. We are sailing on the Star for the 3rd time in May.

Thanks for the link. These pictures are great. I'm wondering where the life boats went once "deployed". Looking forward to more pictures as the dry dock work gets underway. We are sailing on the Star for the 3rd time in May.

When I was working on my ship, the lifeboats actually went ashore in the yard once deployed for servicing of their own. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

When I was working on my ship, the lifeboats actually went ashore in the yard once deployed for servicing of their own. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

Yes, the boats will get lifted (though not all at once some times) onto the shore and repairs to fiberglass and waxing the boats will be done. The boats will be emptied of their provisions and equipment and cleaned inside and out. The boats waiting to be serviced will be tied up close by in the shipyard.

This is done not only to gain easier access to the boats but to allow servicing of the davits and wires that hoist and lower the boats.

Edited by chengkp75

Thanks for the info on the servicing of the life boats during dry dock. Very interesting and a ton of work for everyone!

The really fun part to watch (okay, I'll admit I'm a little strange, but that comes with going to sea) is the weight test of the davits. They get these huge plastic bags and fill them with water to equal 125% of the weight of the boats fully loaded, and let them hang for a few minutes to ensure nothing is going to go boom.