Booking a next cruise on board

I remember from past cruises that they like to have guests book their next cruise, onboard. But I have never been interested before. But this time we might be. (Cruising in march; if it goes well w/ the kids, also spring break 2016).

What kind of discounts would we see? Is it a good idea?

You will get an extra OBC depending on the length of the cruise ($50 1-5 days, $75 - 6 days, $100 7-12 days, $200 13+ days). You will also get 2 Friend and Family certificates which give your friend/family the same OBC if they book the same cruise within 60 days of you booking yours.

You don't get any discount than you would get if you booked directly thru carnival.com. But if you do want to book while onboard, do your homework first. Find the cruise, date, price, cabin you want. Makes it MUCH easier. I have done this a few times and it was no problem at all. And the extra OBC is nice.

You rarely get as good or better deal than if you booked a few months before hand. I book typically several weeks beforehand hand.

It really makes no difference what the cruise price is if you book Military or Early Saver on the ship. You get the lowest price up to final payment for Military or ship sailing for Early Saver. You just have to watch and apply for them.

As for getting the best price several weeks before hand, that is not always true. What matters is how booked the cruise is and that can be hard to predict. Even Carnival does not know that so their prices can go up and down.

It really makes no difference what the cruise price is if you book Military or Early Saver on the ship. You get the lowest price up to final payment for Military or ship sailing for Early Saver. You just have to watch and apply for them.

As for getting the best price several weeks before hand, that is not always true. What matters is how booked the cruise is and that can be hard to predict. Even Carnival does not know that so their prices can go up and down.

Agree with you fully Rich. I booked a cruise last Jan for this March and got ES. Even today, the cruise is still $1000 higher than when I booked.

From how i understand this you can do the following. Book any 3 day cruise while on board but do not book early saver so you only have to pay $100 pp down if you are not sure what cruise you want to take. Initially you will get ob credit of whatever that cruise might be but you can change to a 6 day (as an example), get the $75 obc, and switch to early saver to get the price drops.

Am i right in thinking this?

Not worth it for me. I would rather have all the information on the web in front of me as I narrow my decision.

you can use the computers on board the ship to do that and then take your decision to the FCD and get your extra OBC :)