Getting Dropped off in Charleston

We will be on the Fantasy in two weeks, and will be catching a ride to the port (or as close as we can get) from a friend. What are the logistics around being dropped off by a non-cab? I've read the Port of Charleston's webpage about parking and directions, but I haven't seen any information on what to do if you're not parking there. I assume cabs know where to go, but I also assume they are given a little more freedom than a regular driver.

We will be on the Fantasy in two weeks, and will be catching a ride to the port (or as close as we can get) from a friend. What are the logistics around being dropped off by a non-cab? I've read the Port of Charleston's webpage about parking and directions, but I haven't seen any information on what to do if you're not parking there. I assume cabs know where to go, but I also assume they are given a little more freedom than a regular driver.

The Intersection of Concord and Laurens Streets is where you enter the Union Terminal gate. There are signs put out along the streets to help direct you.

At the gate, they'll ask if you're parking or just dropping off. If just dropping off, they'll tell you where to pull up to unload luggage at the porters and carts. The vehicle will exit a nearby gate and the passengers walk to a staging area where you'll board a van to transport you to the cruise terminal. There is no walk up to the terminal for security reasons.

Don't worry, they won't let you screw up. If you're too early, they let you drop off the luggage and exit. When I did that, my friend dropped us at a nearby downtown restaurant/bar for bloody marys till time to board two blocks away. :D

Chucktown Steve, we have a Tour Company picking us up in back of the Commons building which they said was in front of the Cruise Terminal, but not sure which street we will be facing and Google map couldn't bring up the Commons Building. Based upon your Post can I assume the Commons building is near there. Thank you.

Gay

Chucktown Steve, we have a Tour Company picking us up in back of the Commons building which they said was in front of the Cruise Terminal, but not sure which street we will be facing and Google map couldn't bring up the Commons Building. Based upon your Post can I assume the Commons building is near there. Thank you.

Gay

Are you sure they didn't mean/say behind the Custom House (and not the Commons House)? The U.S. Custom House is almost directly in front of the cruise terminal and there is a parking lot on the port side of the street (Concord St) right there.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

Gay

The "commons building" is the the back side of the Customs House which runs between East Bay Street and Concord Street. Market Street runs along side. Market T intersects at Concord Right in front of the cruise terminal. That is also where Fleet Landing restaurant is which you can Google.

I hope that helps.

Steve

Thank you, we have plenty of time to verify the pickup location, and I am picking up more interest from our Roll Call and giving her the names as they come in. What started out as a the 3 of us has now grown to #14.:) We will be in Port until 10:30 so plenty of time to enjoy Charleston, which will be our first time there. Hope the weather behaves itself Oct 31st.:D Our pick up point is at the Corner of Concord and Market which I have located.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers