I want an NCL ship to take us around the Mediterranean. Suggestions?

Hikini

We won't sail with any line other than NCL and are considering a Mediterranean cruise. For those of who have done it, do you have ideas or suggestions? Itinerary? Ship? Time of year? Western or Eastern? Anything at all?

We won't sail with any line other than NCL and are considering a Mediterranean cruise. For those of who have done it, do you have ideas or suggestions? Itinerary? Ship? Time of year? Western or Eastern? Anything at all?

We just booked Med cruise Jan 13 to 2/3 21 days doing both E. & W.

This is off season but comfortable for touring and less crowded.

Also the pricing right now is excellent with the current promo.

another reason for doing long cruises or b2b is because flights are so expensive out Toronto.

While I haven't cruised on Spirit, I like Jade best of the NCL ships doing Mediterranean. Epic I don't like at all.

During summers Jade has done nice alternating cruises on Adriatic Sea, that would be my choice - and I've already done both itineraries. Greek Isles, mainland Greece, Croatia, etc are really nice places and Spain/Southern France are more easily accessible via land anyway.

NCL is pulling back for winter season from the Med after this summer, next winter there will be only one ship (Epic) instead of previous two (Jade and Spirit) so the options are fewer also.

We just booked the 1/13/2016 out of Barcelona, on the Epic. A lot of Italian ports. We originally booked the 1/23/2016, but were a little intimidated/put off by the ports of call. Couldn't really find a lot of things that were interesting to us.

I take it this is your first trip to Europe and from a look at your cruise history it appears September is your preferred month to cruise. With this in mind I would recommend having a look at the Spirit 12 day itinerary. It will give you a wonderful introduction to Europe. You would visit 5 different countries; Italy, Greece, Turkey, France and Spain. You could add on land days as you start in Venice and end in Barcelona. Great cities in between include Athens, Istanbul, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa and others.

Using September 6th as an example Inside cabins are around $1000 pp. and Balcony around $2100 pp. Any category you might choose can receive some OBC. Pick something Oceanview or higher and you can add on one of the other great options like UDP, UBP, or prepaid gratuities. have more than 2 in the cabin and those additional folks sail for free. You just can't beat these current promotions.

Europe is my favourite place to cruise. I love all the history and the different cultures. The ports are most often very easy to do on your own. This itinerary will give you a little taste of a lot in a relatively short amount of time.

If you have the time the Star has a fabulous 40 day itinerary starting September 15th.

Check out transatlantic cruises as well for the fall. Usually fantastic pricing and it cuts down on one long haul flight. You can always add another cruise on before hand so you can spend more time in Europe.

You have so many wonderful options for 2015. I have to agree with previous posters that so far for 2016 it looks like there will be less options especially for the fall.

Whatever you decide I hope you have an amazing time!

Rochelle

to much to see , but it can be hot from july to early september, june and late september october are less crowded as school holidays are over and cheaper.

for a first cruise pick either Venice and or Rome cruises.

Make sure that the cruise goes to at least one non eu port so that you are not charged VAT and the duty free shops will be open.

if you are in to history, Naples, Athens, Venice Rome turkey Isreal. recommend overnight in Venice and the island of Santorini.

rochelle criuse looks right

which ever you pick have a great time j

I would recommen doing the Jade out of Venice in late may to mid june .. beautiful weather.. not so hot ( med in late august and september can be very hot and humid)

and lovely ports in the eastern med ....

We have done a few med cruise and have another booked for May of next year. The 12 day grand med cruise aboard the spirit is a great choice as you will get to see a lot in a relatively short amount of time. I would try and do a late April through late May cruise or a late September through October cruise. The weather should be wonderful and the crowds should be gone for the most part.

Tavelrn if you want to do the eleven nights to cagliari etc i would suggest you book on late march or after that..late january on these places is going to be really really cold and rainy in livorno rome etc.its not the same weather as the canaries at that time of the year.if you want a west mediterranean best time would be late may early june

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am currently booked for the March 2016 12day Med on Epic...

Great prices and deals right now....

First Time Overseas.....booked 11 day Epic late February...hope that weather is cool not cold....but so excited great NCL deals and perks. Any advice.

We have done a few med cruise and have another booked for May of next year. The 12 day grand med cruise aboard the spirit is a great choice as you will get to see a lot in a relatively short amount of time. I would try and do a late April through late May cruise or a late September through October cruise. The weather should be wonderful and the crowds should be gone for the most part.

Isn't Spirit coming to Canaveral this year? Or does your calendar reflect that?

Isn't Spirit coming to Canaveral this year? Or does your calendar reflect that?

Yes, Jade and Spirit will move to US for the winter season but will get back to Med for the summer season. Summer season with NCL is approx from late April/early May to late October.

Yes, Jade and Spirit will move to US for the winter season but will get back to Med for the summer season. Summer season with NCL is approx from late April/early May to late October.

I wasn't aware Spirit was temporary. I've been scouting out Canaveral sailings for fall.

We did a 12-day East Med on Jade from Barcelona and it was one of the best cruises we've ever been on. Probably the Baltic on the Dream was the only better cruise. Jade is a terrific ship. Unfortunately, because of the trouble in the Middle East, NCL isn't calling on Alexandria, Egypt anymore. That included a 2-day excursion to Cairo and the Pyramids. But anywhere you go in the Med is a memorable experience.

We did a 12-day East Med on Jade from Barcelona and it was one of the best cruises we've ever been on. Probably the Baltic on the Dream was the only better cruise. Jade is a terrific ship. Unfortunately, because of the trouble in the Middle East, NCL isn't calling on Alexandria, Egypt anymore. That included a 2-day excursion to Cairo and the Pyramids. But anywhere you go in the Med is a memorable experience.

I was on the Jade back in 2010 when they still visited Egypt...Loved the Jade and the cruise, however in Rome it rained heavy from the moment we left the ship till we boarded that evening,and a medical emergency and rough seas left us unable to visit Greece,I think we had like an hour or two total before everyone needed to be back on board although I still had a great time... of course that sailing was in late January so hopefully the March date on Epic will be a bit better...

Edited by warriorking

So many factors here.. How long you have to vacation, how much you are hoping to spend overall, how active you may be. Cruises out of Venice typically have lower cost for shore excursions (we just did the Greek Isles on the Jade and loved it) but can require hauling luggage in Venice and lots of walking (we enjoy the walking). Ports were easy to navigate without shore excursions although we did do an excursion in Santorini.

We have sailed twice out of Barcelona - once on the Gem and another on the Epic. Most ports require long bus rides to get to the main points of interest so costs are higher but also some great places to visit.

I have loved all of our trips to Europe. My favorite places have been Venice, Capri, the Amalfi Coast, the Cinque Terre, Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Santorini, Corfu, St. Paul de Vence and Barcelona. I just wish that NCL would add more itineraries to different places so we can keep exploring different areas.

Whatever you decide I am sure it will be a wonderful trip. Good luck!

Tavelrn if you want to do the eleven nights to cagliari etc i would suggest you book on late march or after that..late january on these places is going to be really really cold and rainy in livorno rome etc.its not the same weather as the canaries at that time of the year.if you want a west mediterranean best time would be late may early june

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to keep it for right now, as January /February works best for us. Looks like average temperatures are mid 40's. If we're able to, I will attempt to push it more towards spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...
We just booked Med cruise Jan 13 to 2/3 21 days doing both E. & W.

This is off season but comfortable for touring and less crowded.

Also the pricing right now is excellent with the current promo.

another reason for doing long cruises or b2b is because flights are so expensive out Toronto.

Hi Cool Cruiser,

What was the weather like at that time of the year. Was it very cold or could you still use the open deck on the ship

Just returned from Epic. The weather was great, not to hot and warm enoug to have fun aboard on the sunny deck.

I've posted a video from the Epic trip on mediterranean sea.

Last year I was on Jade and I find Jade a little bit better than Epic, maybe because it wasn't as crowd as Epic was this year.