Carafe - wine MDR Fantasia Med Cruise

efghi9

Hi, brand new to MSC (Canadian) and I read on another post from 2 years ago that MSC serves 1/2 carafe of wine in the MDR (7 € + 15% that was the price 2 yrs ago) and was wondering if this is still the case. Sailing Fantasia out of Genoa 11 days this March 2015. I don't need any other drinks other than some wine with dinner. Please advise if still available and what the cost is. I understand that it won't be top of the line, but still a good option if available. If so can you purchase this in the buffet too for the odd night that we may end up there?

thank you in advance for your help.

Sandra

Following! Most regular posters on this forum advocate for the all-inclusive drinks packages, but that just doesn't make sense for our family of 5. We found the half-liter carafe just right for the two of us; the wine was not spectacular but certainly drinkable. Hoping it's still available this July.

I'm not sure about 1/2 carafe (I'm one of those who likes the AI drinks package ;)) A bottle (4/5) glasses of the house wine is €25, you can buy a bottle and if you don't drink it the waiters will label it and keep it for you. Alternatively you can buy by the glass, although I think the price works out to be about the same - €5 per glass.

Thank you Babyeddiedog for posting the cost of a bottle of house wine. Certainly much higher than the 7 € for the half carafe. I expect prices to rise each year but that is quite a jump. If others have any info on the half carafe availability and price for Med cruise please jump on this thread.

Sandra

Thank you Babyeddiedog for posting the cost of a bottle of house wine. Certainly much higher than the 7 € for the half carafe. I expect prices to rise each year but that is quite a jump. If others have any info on the half carafe availability and price for Med cruise please jump on this thread.

Sandra

Bottles of wine start from around €18 plus 15% service charge. Not sure about the current price for the carafes as I've not ordered for a few years, as I've been on the SI Allegrissimo.

One of the benefits for the carafes apart from being good value was that it used to arrive quicker than ordering a bottle off the wine list. The wine for the carafes was in the restaurant, bottles they had to go and fetch from somewhere else.

Thanks AmoMondo,

so you definitely think they will have the carafe option, but you are just not sure of the price. We are second seating so yes service may not be fast.

we are really looking forward to this cruise and trying out MSC. We have cruised a lot on Princess. It is myself and my 13 yr old son. We are looking forward to the cultural difference!!

Sandra

Edited by efghi9

Thanks AmoMondo,

so you definitely think they will have the carafe option, but you are just not sure of the price. We are second seating so yes service may not be fast.

we are really looking forward to this cruise and trying out MSC. We have cruised a lot on Princess. It is myself and my 13 yr old son. We are looking forward to the cultural difference!!

Sandra

Hope you have a fabulous cruise and am glad you're prepared for a different experience because it will be from what you've had with Princess ;)

On the subject of the carafes, I'm afraid I can't say what price they are - I don't remember seeing them on the price list although I have seen them being brought to various tables in the MDR. I suggest you check out the wine offers when boarding - perhaps it would work out cheaper to buy a few bottles on a package and spread them over the course of the trip. They would be available for lunch and dinner. With the Euro being so low you should get fantastic value for against your Canadian dollar.

Are you doing the Greece and Turkey route or the Canaries itinerary? Either way you should have a great time. There will be a lot of non-English people onboard but it really doesn't cause any difficulties. Most of the crew and staff speak at least a little English and, more often than not, English is the first language for the announcements (which are very few) so you can shut off once you've heard them without having to listen out for the message in your language LOL!

Edited by Beamafar

We usually get a 0.5 L carafe of the house wine and find it acceptable. The red wine is from Sicily, the white wine from northern Italy. They are both hidden towards the end of the wine list. Last year, the price was still 7 EUR + service.

On European sailings, they don't provide tap water in the MDR, so you may want to prebook a pack of water vouchers. Although, since you are Canadian, they may give you some for free.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Alex71 good to know that last year the .5 carafe was still available. The 7 euro is a great price even if not the best of the best. When in Rome...so we will adapt to the water situation at dinner.

Sandra