Messina port

Kramer995

Hi Kramer995, we went to Messina and agree there is not much right within port area to see. We did take an organized private tour to the sight where they filmed the Godfather and Taormina that someone organized. Don't remember the company we used.

Here is a tour company that I just saw on TA and gets great reviews. I would definitely consider taking some type of tour with them. They also offer the Godfather and Taormina tour we went on. (Tour #4). Some people went to Mt. Etna but that might be weather dependent so not sure it would be worth going there. Check out Tour #1 also, that sounds like it might be nice to take.

http://www.sicilywithmario.com/excursions.asp?lang=en&p=excursions#_=_

Make sure to visit Piazza del Duomo at noon to see the world's largest astronomical clock. It comes to life with mechanical figures and music and has a 60-foot bell tower dating back to 1933, built in Strasbourg.

If you stop and see the clock be aware of the little children begging there. Our guide told us not to give them any money as their mothers were sitting inside the church doing the same thing. Very sad to see but guess a normal occurrence.

I think this would give you some good choices away from Messina port. When is your cruise? How much time will you have in port? You could easily organize this private tour yourself by posting on your roll call and see how many might be interested. I would contact the company and get some prices for a couple of tours and go from there.

Good luck.

Edited by cruisingmimi

We will be there from 8-5. You've inspired me to look a little closer at the stop. Perhaps I haven't given it a chance.

Our cruise has many stops to see ruins (Athens, Rome, Pompeii), so I'm not sure I want to add more ruins to the trip. Strolling around pretty villages would be nice.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Your welcome! I wasn't excited about visiting Messina either but it does have an interesting history to it. Messina was destroyed by an earthquake in 1908 and also bombed by the Germans during WWII so does have a lot of history and how it was rebuilt.

I like to do research so just found this other company you can check out:

http://www.taxirobertomirabile.com/#_=_

I think you might like their Sicilian Villages Tour. Perhaps a winery tour might interest you? Lots of options for you. Have fun planning, I think you will find something you like.

Taormina is a lovely pedestrian only town w/ lots of shops, restaurants, to see. It is a very popular tourist destination.

Here's another nice walking tour in Messina you might consider if you don't want to go to far from port.

http://www.sunway.it/tour.php?p=7

They have a 1/2 day Godfather tour which you might like - (from their website)

"We begin our tour with an inland scenic drive to Savoca, considered one of the most attractive towns near Taormina. After arrival, we will walk to Bar Vitelli, which has a gorgeous terrace with a collection of photographs taken when Francis Ford Coppola filmed some scenes for The Godfather I. After free time for a granita in Bar Vitelli, we will visit Chiesa Madre with its fine 16th Century portal, surmonted by a beautifully carved oculus and the coat of arms of the town of Savoca. The portal also bears an elderberry branch from which the name of the town is supposedly derived. Next we will ride to Forza d’Agrò, an attractive medieval hamlet that caps the farthermost spurs of Monti Peloritani and provides a splendid view of the coast. Here in 1990, some scenes with Al Pacino and Sofia Coppola were filmed for The Godfather III."

There you go - have fun planning! Let us know what you decide.

Mary

We too didn't want any more ruins as this was our last stop on the cruise before getting off the next day when we visited Sicily. We used Sicily Limosines and went to Castelmola (above Taormina) which is a charming small village. No buses can go up there so less tourists. Then we went down to Taormina and enjoyed a day strolling, eating, strolling, shopping and eating some more (do not forget to get some fresh cannoli!!!) Then back to the ship for a perfect RELAXED day.

Edited by texancruzer

texancruzer, is this the Sicily Limosines website you were referring to?

http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.asp

They also have some nice tours listed if it is. We just loved Taoromina doing what you did, eating, strolling, shopping, etc. It's such a beautiful area. Can't help but love it.

Good luck Kramer. Hope you find something you like.

texancruzer, is this the Sicily Limosines website you were referring to?

http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.asp

They also have some nice tours listed if it is. We just loved Taoromina doing what you did, eating, strolling, shopping, etc. It's such a beautiful area. Can't help but love it.

Good luck Kramer. Hope you find something you like.

Yes, we had a great driver. Personable guy and when he found out I was interested in chatting about Sicily, living there, his background etc… he was very engaging. But only after he knew I wanted to engage. Some people don't so he was cautious at first.

Wow!!! Thank you so much for the great information!! You have inspired me to leave the port.

At the very least, we will go to Taormina. Do you think I can get a cab in port, or should I book an excursion?

I booked private excursions in Athens and Sorrento. DIY in Santorini and Rhodes with taxi cabs.

Thanks again for your help!! :)

Loved Taormina, just breathtaking views on the cliffs, My Etna, lots of lovely shops, cafes. You wouldn't have to do the ruins, lots of other options. We were on HAL ship and they had an excursion that just took you to Taormina for the day and then took you home. Or you could choose the full tour. Much better than hanging in Messina.

I was just checking cabs and they would be expensive, around E90. one way! Just found this info on a website: "Taormina is 50 km away from Messina. A taxi ride takes about 45 minutes. Expect to pay around € 90 per taxi (4 persons, one way)." Why pay this much for a taxi ride? I would book an excursion and see if others will share with you. You can also take the train from Messina and then a bus but that would be an hour's ride too. Cheaper than a taxi!

Here's the website, not familiar with it but someone may be.

http://shorebee.com/en/italy/messina/cruise-excursions/taormina-private-tour

How to get to Taormina by train: http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-easy.com/messina-sicily.html

http://howdoitravel.com/2013/08/01/messina-sicily-cruise-excursion-on-your-own-to-taormina/

Someone did say that the bus takes a long time getting to Taormina and with having to be back in port for your sailaway, I would opt to book a private excursion or check your cruise line tour offerings to see if they are offering a bus service to Taormina. It is a very popular place so the ship may be offering something there and you won't have to worry about getting back to port in time.

Also read that there are cabs lined up at the port and you may be able to share a ride to Taormina and split the cost. You can ask the driver what the cost would be before you book them. We have done this in ports and sometimes you will luck out and get a great price. If they speak English I would ask a couple of drivers what their price would be as it can vary.

What cruise line and date will you be docked in Messina?

We took a minivan tour in Santorini and visited 2 wineries w/ wine tastings. Santo winery is absolutely spectacular, sits high above Aeagan sea, a great wedding venue!

Do a stop there if nothing for the view. You can buy wine there also.

Basically if you take a taxi there, you have to hire one to get back…….

might as well pre-book a driver, know he will speak English (could be a problem with a taxi) and know he will get you back to the ship on time.

Just my opinion…..

We booked with Sicily Limousine Service because we will be in Messina on a Sunday and it appears that the trains and bus to Taormina don't start service until the afternoon. We would have done a DIY to get there but we got a decent price for 6 on their Castelmola/Taormina day. We may or may not go to the Greek Theatre. We really enjoy just wandering around pretty villages, eating and popping in and out of shops. I think this will be a nice, relaxing way to see more than just the big city!

We booked with Sicily Limousine Service because we will be in Messina on a Sunday and it appears that the trains and bus to Taormina don't start service until the afternoon. We would have done a DIY to get there but we got a decent price for 6 on their Castelmola/Taormina day. We may or may not go to the Greek Theatre. We really enjoy just wandering around pretty villages, eating and popping in and out of shops. I think this will be a nice, relaxing way to see more than just the big city!

We didn't visit the Greek theater either. I had a great time just darting into some of the beautiful shops there ( and I thought some of the prices were really nice too ) and eating (we had a great lunch with a spectacular view as well as some awesome cannoli - even took some extra back to the ship for a late night snack). Nice, relaxing fun day !

This is where we ate - right on the main pedestrian walkway

http://www.granduca-taormina.com/#_=_

I am thinking of doing a trip with either Sicily Limosines or Sicily with Mario, but I am trying to find out how far you would have to walk between drop off and pick up in Taormina and Castlemola as my Mum is blind and would struggle to walk a long distance, although we can obviously stop for drinks / food along the way! :)

Lets talk about the port and Taormina is some detail. Regarding drop-off and pick-up in Taormina, vehicles are generally not permitted to enter the main tourist part of the city. They generally drop off their charges at one of two main areas (located at either end of the main tourist street of Corso Umberto). Most folks will enter the city and walk the entire length of the Corso Umberto (about 1/2 mile one-way) and also walk down to the amphitheater (about 1,000 feet from the Corso Umberto). So a person with major mobility issues might want to consider bringing some kind of walking aid (cane, wheelchair, etc). But there are plenty of places to stop for eating, drinking, shopping, or just sitting on a bench.

As to getting to Taormina from Messina, the driving distance is about 35 miles and it takes approximately 45 minutes. So a taxi would be expensive. Most cruise lines do offer some kind of excursion that is essentially transportation. One can also just rent a car in Messina and drive, which does have the advantage of letting you also visit some other places such as Castelmola. Another option (if you are more adventurous) is to take the train from Messina, but you then need either a taxi or local bus to get from the train station (along the coast below Taormina) up to the city. And we know there are also some regional public buses that run between Messina and Taormina but have no personal experience with this method.

The tour buses now drop their charges at a large parking garage located at one-end of the town from where you can take an elevator (or walk the steps) up to the Corso Umberto. If driving my own car I will usually try to park at the opposite end of the Corso Umberto (the side that has the Amphitheater) since I prefer this end of town. And its also where one can quickly get on the windy road up to Castelmola.

Hank

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
May I ask what prices were like with Sicilymario and sicilylimousine?

We were quoted 250 Euros with Sicily Limousine (Castlemola & Taormina) for 4 people in a sedan car (my Mum has mobility issues so we wanted a car rather than mini bus tour:)

Edited by Moneypenny105

We were quoted 250 Euros with Sicily Limousine (Castlemola & Taormina) for 4 people in a sedan car (my Mum has mobility issues so we wanted a car rather than mini bus tour:)

That sounds about what we paid….. there were 4 of us. It was a full day with a private car/driver.

It sounds like a lot but not too bad if you figure 250 divided by 4 is 62.5 euros per person. That is about $70.00 per person…… Figure 6-7 hours and thats only about $10.00 an hour.

Not sure what a ship tour would be but I bet its more ……. and this one is private.