Staying on Ship at port

I LOVE to stay on the ship when in port! A few cruises ago I started doing this for one port and then I built up. The first ship I did this on I dubbed this day my "Serenity Deck Excursion".....I went to the spa and had a massage and then off to the deck to lounge freely.... On my last cruise I did not get off the ship in any ports and I had a wonderful time!

The food venues on the Lido Deck were all open. Bar service was available. There were a few activities going on. My favorite part about these days is the freedom to find lounge chairs anywhere and have wonderful, personal service. The ship is an entirely different place when most people are off in port and, personally, I love this experience.

Staying on the ship in port is a whole different experience. Food and drink are available like any other day just a lot fewer people. IMO GC is a good port to miss. You avoid the tender and it is pretty pricey there compared to some of the other islands.

We booked a cruise and the port are all new to us but one, Grand Cayman. We have never just stayed on the ship while in port, but was thinking of doing it at this port. Any thoughts? Is food still available? Any help? Thank you

We always get off, but we tend to come back early for lunch on the ship. It is fantastic..because there are no lines or crowds. The waterworks was completely empty, so we were able to go on the slides too many times to count.

In January we did this for the first time. We had been to the ports several times and thought we would just stay on board, wow, truly loved this new experience. Will be doing this again when we repeat islands. Try it I am sure you will enjoy it.

I plan on staying on the ship when we go to Cozumel on our June cruise. I really did not care for Cozumel when we went in December. I have heard of some good excursions but we usually don't do excursions because the cost is too high and we usually gamble all our money, lol If we don't find an excursion we really want to do then we will stay on the boat.

I am going to always get off the boat at any new ports that way I can say I have been to those places, even if I only walk around for an hour or two.

Edited by BigB0882

If I don't feel like getting off the ship I stay on the ship and just relax and look out of the ship's windows and look at the people getting off the ship.

One time I was on a NCL Ship that had a full view of San Francisco and I fell asleep on one of their fancy lounge beds surrounded by large windows and took a nice nap. lol.

They have lots of activities on the ship like Trivia games and other games to keep us entertained. Plus, it is a great time to just rest for the day.

I have gotten in the habit of booking two cruises back to back so that way I feel like it gives me more time on the ship.

I have already found a 7 day and a 4 day cruise on the same ship for the month of May. 7 days is too short for me.

Some ports I have been to several times and really have no interest in going to again so I stay on board. I love it! While laying by the pool, I some times move from chair to chair well just because I can.:D

We stay on the ship, too if it is a port that we have visited many times or if we feel it is not safe. Yes, it is restfull but also a little boring and I think it made our cruise not as special. It is kinda nice to be at the pool and enjoy the quiet. Grand Cayman can be very crowded and even walking around is sometimes elbow to elbow. We tend to schedule cruise without stops in Grand Cayman for this reason. At the very least, we do a check of how many ships will be in port with us.

With lots and lots of cruises under my belt, I've been staying aboard the ship while in port for a long time. The ship is the destination on most cruises, and it's because when everyone else is ashore, the hot tubs are all empty. I can have any lounger I want. There are no lines at the buffet, and many of the entertainers, and crew are lounging around the ship as well, and don't mind a bit of conversation. It's a FANTASTIC, relaxing day. ;)

"SKY"

We stayed on the ship in Jamaica once and it was amazing. The serenity deck was deserted and so were the hot tubs :) It was a great day and we plan on doing it again at another port on our upcoming cruise.

I did really love Grand Cayman though. We went to a gorgeous beach just a few miles away and really loved it.

Tough choice for sure, but what ever you decide, it will be great!

I usually stay onboard for at least one port on a 7 day cruise, for the reasons listed above, and also for the money saving aspect. As far as I'm concerned, the minute you get off the ship, you're losing money. You have already paid for your food and entertainment for X amount of days in your cruise fare. Once you start paying for things in port, you've lost money. Call me cheap, I don't care. :D

We've stayed on board a couple times when Nassau is a port. And on our most recent Paradise cruise we stayed on board at Grand Cayman too. Love having a nearly empty ship! As others have said the Serenity area is pretty much empty, as is the rest of the ship really. It's nice! And I won my first "golden ship on a stick" simply because there were so few people there to play trivia!! :)

Been seriously considering this when we hit Cozumel. We have been there before and it was ok. If we did anything we were going to do a Mr. Sanchos or one similar, but now maybe we could get off for a bit and then get back on. For what Mr. Sanchos would cost for the two of us, it would be enough drinks on the ship.

Last July we got off the ship in Nassau long enough to get t-shirts for our kids and grands. It was the only time we actually went in the pool on board because it wasn't standing room only! Like someone else said -- we had our choice of chairs by the pool and enjoyed a quiet afternoon!

With lots and lots of cruises under my belt, I've been staying aboard the ship while in port for a long time. The ship is the destination on most cruises, and it's because when everyone else is ashore, the hot tubs are all empty. I can have any lounger I want. There are no lines at the buffet, and many of the entertainers, and crew are lounging around the ship as well, and don't mind a bit of conversation. It's a FANTASTIC, relaxing day. ;)

"SKY"

We are with Ken on this. We never get off unless I have to go to the drug store. That is time you really get to know your Staff & Crew. Just sit around on the Lido deck & someone will stop to talk I promise. Also you will fine a lot of guest's just like you & have met some really cool people.

So quiet but still on ship. Best time, but we don't feel the need to be entertained any more.

Char

On our last cruise DH and I stayed on the ship the whole cruise. We had been to the ports many times, so decided to really just enjoy the ship. I would do that again in a heartbeat.

There were no lines for anything and that made the day so much nicer. I think if it were a new port, I probably would want to get off the ship. I find it strange though that I wouldn't want to take a trans-Atlantic as there are too many days at sea with no ports. I guess I like the idea that I could get off the ship if I so desired, whereas on the trans-Atlantic, I'd be hard pressed to get off in the middle of the ocean.

When we start looking at our next cruise we look for: which ship (what does it offer), which ports (what type of tours), number of cruise days. Then we start planning, will we stay on the ship on port days and if so what does the ship have to offer. We were just on the Dream and had a SPA Balcony. We have been to all the ports before so this was a SPA cruise for us. On port days we had the whole spa area with few other guest, wonderful. As said above if you do a little planning and pick and choose your day event and not just get off the ship and walk around you will open up a new area of cruising.:rolleyes::rolleyes: