Man overboard on the Glory

pamrose228

This is very sad. Prayers go out to the passenger and his family. I can see the viewpoint of others on the ship that this has now affected their vacation as well. I too would be disappointed if I was missing a port but sometimes things don't always go our way. Hopefully the other passengers will be understanding and compassionate.

My thoughts and prayers are with this young man's family and friends. There will be plenty of time to consider what actions/circumstances may have led to this tragedy later. For now, thoughts and prayers for him, his family, friends, and those aiding in the search & rescue.

Of course, murder / suicide are options, and this has occurred in the past. However, being Spring break week, I have my suspicions. It will be what it will be. Yeah, your chances of surviving such a fall can be pretty slim. If it is murder, that's a different story. Suicide; then do it so you do not affect so many others. Foolishness; you got what you deserved. Sorry.

What a hearltess statement to post!! I have several family with mental health illness. It is something I would not wish upon any human being. It destroys a person. Absolutely takes every bit of them. And to say ANYONE deserves that.......

A person with a mental illness would give and they pray to please make them feel better and normal. Sometimes it's too much for them.... Obviously they are not able to think of how they affect others!! I just pray my closest loved one comes out of her current state........ Because suicide rates in mentally ill are HIGH...VERY HIGH!

Um, who said this was a suicide? That being said, MY FATHER committed suicide when I was 19 (I am now 56). One never knows with whom they are speaking to, and obviously you do not. ;) Call me "heartless"? You have not a clue!!!

Edited by loubetti

I'm in contact with a crew member as friends. They said after looking back through the camera footage it was seen that the man fell over the rail at 2am. He didn't jump or climb. They didn't stop at Half Moon Cay and the ship (Glory) plus the Paradise and Coast Guard are looking for the man. But they didn't find out until a few hours later that the man went missing. The atmosphere on the ship is pretty quiet today and they are all deeply saddened.

It is impossible to "fall" over the rail. There are only three things that could have happened.

1. They were thrown over

2. They jumped

3. They climbed on something whether it's the railing, a table or chair, or whatever.

At any rate I would not be a happy camper to be on that cruise. First off for missing HMC one of my favorite ports, and second because it seems that it has put a damper on the mood of things.

Feel sorry for his family and that's all I'm going to say about that.

I'm in contact with a crew member as friends. They said after looking back through the camera footage it was seen that the man fell over the rail at 2am. He didn't jump or climb. They didn't stop at Half Moon Cay and the ship (Glory) plus the Paradise and Coast Guard are looking for the man. But they didn't find out until a few hours later that the man went missing. The atmosphere on the ship is pretty quiet today and they are all deeply saddened.

I would say that unless your friend is one of a very small number of senior officers onboard (senior deck, security, or the HD himself) anything they say is hearsay regarding what was seen on the video footage. It would be a serious problem for the company for the senior officers to voice opinions about the situation to crewmembers, and these officers would be liable for serious problems with corporate legal for disclosing anything. I would also say that it is almost impossible to simply fall over a railing.

It is impossible to "fall" over the rail. There are only three things that could have happened.

1. They were thrown over

2. They jumped

3. They climbed on something whether it's the railing, a table or chair, or whatever.

At any rate I would not be a happy camper to be on that cruise. First off for missing HMC one of my favorite ports, and second because it seems that it has put a damper on the mood of things.

I'm with you. Yes, while I am sympathetic to the situation, people's stupidity can affect someone else's vacation and I'd be highly upset to miss HMC and have a black cloud over the rest of my vacation.

I've been pretty damn drunk but I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to sit on the railing of a ship or climb on things. Given this happened at 2am and that he's 20 something my money is on drunken foolishness.

I'm with you. Yes, while I am sympathetic to the situation, people's stupidity can affect someone else's vacation and I'd be highly upset to miss HMC and have a black cloud over the rest of my vacation.

I've been pretty damn drunk but I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to sit on the railing of a ship or climb on things. Given this happened at 2am and that he's 20 something my money is on drunken foolishness.

Likewise. I'm sorry for the family's troubles, and that the young man is missing and probably dead, but I'd be mighty upset to miss a port because someone got drunk and stupid.

Flame if you must, but let me say that I would feel different it was a murder, suicide, mental illness, etc.

1. They were thrown over

2. They jumped

This is basically how I feel. Folks can say what they want. I'm plenty sympathetic to situations. I was diagnosed with a medical condition since my last cruise and often find myself preoccupied about what happens if I get sick and need to get home, etc. And my heart always goes out when incidents involve children and/or illness. But overboard incidents are not the same. And I cannot think of a scenario besides the 3 you named that would cause a person to go over the side of the ship.

So yeah IMO people have a right to be peeved about missing a port because of this and their vacation messed up. Who wants to party and have a good time or relax on deck with something like this lingering? Not me. If nothing else, I would be too busy feeling sad for the folks traveling with this person and whoever he left back at home.

Just because someone doesn't feel like you or share the same sentiment doesn't mean they are heartless or selfish or unsympathetic. GMAB.

Why is everyone assuming he was drunk (blind drunk)? No one will ever know what happened. I think we should just be praying for the family and not arguing over our differing opinions. This is a horrific thing that hopefully none of us ever have to experience. Missing a port, yes I'd be disappointed but I certainly wouldn't feel like blaming this poor young man. I think I would count my blessings and try to enjoy the rest of my cruise. Prayers to the family and friends.

Can some of you imagine how ashamed you might feel if you found out his mother was reading this board right now and read some of the verbal diarrhea in this thread? The only thing that is appropriate here is sympathy and concern for the people involved. Yes, it is absolutely tragic that some people missed a port, but seriously, show some respect.

I normally do not get involved with any drama on these boards but I have to pipe in with my sincere prayers. Some are upset about missing port? The only thing I would have is compassion and sadness in my heart, a port or someones lost life and their families pain? There would be no room in my heart for such trivial disappointment in missing a port .. :(

By the time he told me, word was already out. And I'm not going to say their rank, but he said there was no climbing or jumping. I'm not saying alcohol was a factor since I clearly don't know, but it isn't "impossible" to fall over the railings, especially if you're being rambunctious and not paying attention. It happens more often than people know.

It is extremely sad and it's weighing down on the whole environment of the ships, not just Glory. I'm saddened by what this family has to go through and my heart goes out to them.

I came home today to a find a message on our answering machine. It was our daughter who is on the Glory now. She said that someone had gone overboard and wanted to let us know that she and her friends were safe. Not all college kids on spring break are irresponsible and drunk! My prayers and sympathy go out to the family!

Edited by Fun@C
Forgot to add something

I can relate to the atmosphere on the ship as when we were on our first cruise in Sept. Of 2011, a man went overboard on the Conquest shortly after leaving Cozumel. The ship spent a good amount of time searching, unfortunately he was never found.

I hope that this young man is found, and though he may not have survived, at least there can be closure for his loved ones.

I normally do not get involved with any drama on these boards but I have to pipe in with my sincere prayers. Some are upset about missing port? The only thing I would have is compassion and sadness in my heart, a port or someones lost life and their families pain? There would be no room in my heart for such trivial disappointment in missing a port .. :(

I'm actually on the Glory right now. I don't think anyone on this cruise is "upset about missing a port". The only people who are making these types of comments are at home on the Internet assuming how people on board are feeling and acting. The prevailing mood on this ship is one of concern and compassion for the young man and his traveling companions as well as the family back home.

Trent

I'm actually on the Glory right now. I don't think anyone on this cruise is "upset about missing a port". The only people who are making these types of comments are at home on the Internet assuming how people on board are feeling and acting. The prevailing mood on this ship is one of concern and compassion for the young man and his traveling companions as well as the family back home.

Trent

Thank you...I'm so tired of the speculation!

My thoughts and prayers go out to this young man's family and companion. What a terrible thing to happen to such a young man who hadn't even begun to live his life. I'm sure the pasengers on board are upset about what has happened and not at missing a port.