Can 15.5 y/o work out in gym with dad?

Kmcspoon

My son is 15 1/2 years old. He has a training and work out schedule he follows faithfully at home and is very good shape.

I just looked up the rules for the gym on NCL ships. It says no one under 16 admitted.

Is there a possibility my son could work out with his father present? They could go during off peak hours.

I do realize the rules are there for a reason. I told him about the age restriction and he will be okay. He said he could figure out other things to do to keep up, but wondered if he could find a pull up bar or something he could use for chin ups elsewhere on the ship, maybe near the basket ball court?

Thanks in advance if you can respond. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation and could advise.

I just looked up the rules for the gym on NCL ships. It says no one under 16 admitted.

That is the rule, but to be honest, I have often seen children much younger than that in the gym, unaccompanied (except by other children), just playing around and getting in everyone's way. Maybe there are some ships where the minimum age rule is actually enforced. Please please let my next cruise be on one of those ships.

If your son is there with his father, and they are obviously working out and using the facilities appropriately, I don't think there should be any problem.

This will not be a problem as long as he is working out. Only way it could be a problem is if someone complained. If he was working out, in particular with you, this would not happen. Both of my sons were HS athletes and I brought both of them with me to work out before they turned 16. Always with me and they were there to work out.

Enjoy,

Coach Jim

This is such good news! :)

I wondered if they even checked the ages...and he does look older than he is. He is very serious about his work outs, and will use the equipment properly.

To his credit, he was willing to abide by the rules. I know he and his dad will enjoy the work out time together, and maybe my husband can keep up...and maybe not!

I think it would still be a good idea if they go when it it less crowded.

I sincerely appreciate all who replied!

In the gym on the Gem last summer, there was a family of four working out together. The two boys were certainly younger than your son. They also obviously excercised on a regular basis, as they were using the equipment completely appropriately and their behavior was excellent. I don't think that anyone would even raise an eyebrow if a young man your son's age is working out with his father. Have a great cruise.

Can you break the rules and get away with it. Probably. Who decides which rules can be ignored and which should not be? Rhetorical question. Keep in mind your son is learning about honor, integrity and respect from his father. Always. Something to consider.

Can you break the rules and get away with it. Probably. Who decides which rules can be ignored and which should not be? Rhetorical question. Keep in mind your son is learning about honor, integrity and respect from his father. Always. Something to consider.

I agree with this!

Harriet

He can certainly go in there with his dad. No NCL person is ever doing technical age verification as you enter the gym, nor do they care. And ONLY those who have never, never ever done 40 in a 35, or 60 in a 55, or 75 in a 70, I feel are qualified to express a morality issue opinion regarding this 15 1/2 vs 16 issue. (oh wait...those opinions weren't ask with the initial question anyhow , were they.) My opinion.

You can always ask for permission. When we were on the Pearl I had my then 17 1/2 year old granddaughter who had just graduated from high school. They allowed me to purchase a spa pass for her with full knowledge that she was not 18.