Bon Voyage order vs. onboard purchase of alcohol?

NOLAbebe

Does anyone happen to know if Amaretto or vanilla/cake vodka is sold onboard, and how much they cost? We are trying to decide whether to order ahead of time through Bon Voyage, or wait until we board.

When you purchase onboard, are you even allowed to bring it to your room and consume it or is it kept until the cruise ends?

Thank you!:)

Any liquor purchased while on board is kept until the night before debarkation. If you want to drink it while on board you have to purchase prior to boarding from the Bon Voyage department.

that's not true.

Thought a bottle could be ordered thru room service?

it can be, at the same prices as through bon voyage.

You can purchase thru room service for the same price as Bon Voyage plus a tip (if you wish) to the person that delivers it, there is no gratuity added. We just did this on our last trip.

Is it the same price for Bon voyage and room service?

yes. minus tax, as noted in subsequent posts.

Room service adds gratuity

no they don't but you should tip for room service delivery just like it is customary to tip for your breakfast or sandwich delivery

You can purchase thru room service for the same price as Bon Voyage plus a tip (if you wish) to the person that delivers it, there is no gratuity added. We just did this on our last trip.

yes, that has been my experience and what i read here as well.

Actually Bon Voyage get's taxed. If you wait till you're at sea and call room service there is no tax.

you're correct, though i've heard this is somewhat variable based on the ship / port, etc. for the most part though, one should expect that the same tax rates that apply to drinks while in port would be applied to the purchase. so for the most part, you save whatever those taxes would be by ordering onboard - but it seems ymmv on this one.

---

regardless, to clarify, the actual 'base cost' of the liquor is the same as bon voyage, with caveats as noted above.

Sorry, y'all- to clarify... I now understand alcohol may be purchased through room service and consumed during the cruise in the room. Thank you!

One remaining question: I didn't see vanilla/cake/whipped cream flavored vodka in the online shop. We're trying to figure out if we can make our favorite drink in the room. Are the room service alcohol selections exactly the same as what is available online pre-cruise? I wasn't sure if the variety was different once you were onboard. I seem to remember seeing things in the shop that weren't on the online store, but that was a year ago and my memory is foggy!

• 9 months later...
Does anyone know how much $ the taxes would be on a 80$ bottle of rum if ordered through bon voyage?

I would assume that will be dependent upon which port you are in, since Sales Tax rates differ in different States (and cities).

Edited by bigreid07

Thought a bottle could be ordered thru room service?

Yes, you can also order from room service, it's the same price as Bon Voyage but you need to tip the person that brings it. It's ALL pretty expensive. I just ordered a bottle of Jack Daniels from Bon Voyage, it was $85 for a small bottle (fifth)

Doug

Sorry, y'all- to clarify... I now understand alcohol may be purchased through room service and consumed during the cruise in the room. Thank you!

One remaining question: I didn't see vanilla/cake/whipped cream flavored vodka in the online shop. We're trying to figure out if we can make our favorite drink in the room. Are the room service alcohol selections exactly the same as what is available online pre-cruise? I wasn't sure if the variety was different once you were onboard. I seem to remember seeing things in the shop that weren't on the online store, but that was a year ago and my memory is foggy!

If it's not listed on the Bon Voyage menu on the website, then I would assume it's not available to purchase. However, it's possible that some of the bars on-board may have it. So you wouldn't be able to have a bottle of it in your room, but you may be able to order the drink itself from the bar.

We are leaving from Miami, anyone know how much extra $ an 80$ bottle of rum will cost?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I ordered one bottle of Malibu rum through Bon Voyage department for a Miami departure. Rum was $80 and taxed at an additional $5.60. Total $85.60.

Has anyone ordered a bottle of wine or champagne from room service once on board the Triumph or other ship from Galveston? Were you able to get it the first day? I know if you order from Bon Voyage ahead of time they won't deliver it until the next day (at least that's my understanding when you sail from Texas).