Tell me about the Caribbean Princess "crowdedness"

tripman

Hello

I will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess next summer. I was on the Sapphire Princess before (completely sold out cruise). I am concerned about this ship being overcrowded from what I've read.

We will be onboard during a sold our cruise (most likely). What I am primarily concerned with is the crowds in the Horizon Court. Is it nearly impossible to find a table during breakfast and lunch times? Or am I being overly concerned for nothing? Also, is it difficult to get a seat during the evening show?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We didn't have any trouble on our full sailing getting a table in Horizon Court. There is additional seating in Cafe Caribe that you can use, as well. The crowdedness in the food service area really resolved itself after the first meal was served there.

We also didn't have any trouble with getting a seat in the shows we wanted to see. All of the bigger, earlier shows did have a few folks standing on the stairs and at the back, but it wasn't a mob scene. We generally got there 10-15 minutes before the show started and found seating together without a problem.

I found the Palm Dining room was actually lesscrowded than any other dining room on any other PRincess ship I've been on. It's larger than the other Grand class ship dining rooms by quite a bit, and it's a bit trickier to find. Never had trouble getting a seat in the piano bar, if we were there reasonably early in the evening, never had trouble with getting a computer in the internet cafe, and the shops weren't mobbed.

The one place that I would describe as overcrowded was at the main pools. Lots of activities going on up there and lots of people enjoying them. If that's not your scene, you may not even have a sense of how full the ship is.

We were on the CB for the New Year's cruise, which was a full ship. Disembarkment was the only time it seemed crowded. We wondered throught out the week, "where are all the people".

The Horizon court was busier at meal times, but not so much so that you couldn't find a table. You will have to get to the Princess Theater ahead of time (20-30 min early) to have good seats, but that is mainly for the production shows. The Photo gallery was really busy the last night, but it has been that way on every ship we've sailed. We had early traditional dining, but I talked to many folks with "Anytime" dining, and they very rarely had to wait long for a table for the evening meal.

We enjoyed the ship so much we are going back for the 2006 Halloween cruise. Don't be afraid of the "crowds", just enjoy yourselves!

My belief is that the notion of the Caribbean Princess being crowded is a relative one. With the evolution of the Grand Class ship, at the point that the Caribbean Princess entered the fleet an extra deck of cabins was added.

There are those who believe that by comparison with earlier versions of the ship (2600 passengers) that the extra passengers she represents (3100 passengers) make for a more crowded ship. I've sailed both the Golden and Star Princess and have found this to be true in some respects and not so true in others.

Surely there are more passengers aboard but Princess also did some extensive space reutilization to accommodate them. I think there’s a good and a not so good side to this.

The addition of the Caribe Cafe, aft, if nothing else gives two more buffet lines for a total of 6. This is a significant improvement during such events as the Embarkation Lunch where earlier versions of the ship had but 4 lines. In this area, in theory, they've actually made service better. Do the math. Earlier version 2600/4=650 potential passenger load per buffet line. Caribbean Princess 3100/6=516 potential passenger load per buffet line.

Those are good numbers. Add to that the interesting nature of the Caribe Cafe, a strai

Actually, The Caribe Cafe is more than two buffet lines. It offers a great deal of flexibility in feeding us beginning with the Embarkation Lunch you'll find as you board the ship on the first day. Then, with the Horizon Court's two serving areas, a total of four are open and all serve the same selections to the ravenous cruisers as they first board. At night, on that first night, the Cafe Caribe transforms to more of a table service restaurant if you want it to be that .

You can go through the buffet, sampling the Caribbean themed entree's (I know that sounds vague, but it works, trust me) which on that first night feature a fabulous selection of seafood.

You can also walk into the dining area which, since lunch, gained tablecloths and is preset with wine glasses and flatware where you will be treated to a table service type experience, complete with menus.

We didn't realize this until the cruise was over. The two times we dined there we simply walked through the buffet, then found a table and sat down, like most other people we viewed on our particular sailing.

Documentation available in your cabin or online does not make this apparent. I think that's because they like to retain the flexibility to do different things with this space and don't want to get locked in to one set way of doing things.

To me, that's all flavored with Personal Choice Cruising, which allows you do do stuff (like eating, or "Anytime Dining") when you want, where you want and with whom you want.

The hours of this venue are varied serving Pastries and Beverages from 4AM to 10AM, Dinner from 5:30 to 11PM, and "Bistro" service from 11PM to 4AM.

Tips:

• When open, we'd go through the Horizon Court buffet first then the Caribe Cafe buffet. More selections, usually easier to find a seat during busy times back by the Caribe Cafe.
  • If you like the appetizers they're passing out on deck during Island Night head to the Caribe Cafe, they have them all on the buffet.
  • While the Horizon Court buffet is a scramble type layout where it is appropriate to skip stations you don't want and go directly to the ones you do the Caribe Cafe is more of a straight line cafeteria setup, although it is not straight as in linear.

But Princess also did some other revamping of the design too

• Movies Under The Stars, a 300 square foot movie screen was added showing everything from childrens movies early in the morning, to music videos during the day and nearly-new movies at night. The downside here is that it may have contributed to the loss of an area called The Conservatory on earlier versions, an area with a moveable roof that could be opened and closed as weather permitted allowing anytime swimming and hot tubs as well as one darn great place to read a book
  • The area formerly known as the Vista Lounge was transformed into Club Fusion. At first I thought this might be an area where famous Chefs came aboard to do cooking demonstrations but in reality its a non-stop entertainment venue laid out to allow maximum flexibility in its offerings. The downside is that to do that they broke a once cavernous space up into cool little areas, much like they've done with deck areas but it didn't work out quite as well. A consistent concern is that it is difficult to see the show.
  • The Spa area was enlarged by moving the kids Off Limits venue aft. I like that it's close to the adult area so parents can stay in touch better but I don't like it because it's invaded the adults area where kids should not be allowed, causing territorial disputes

But will you find long lines on the Caribbean Princess?

Yep, you'll find lines all right. Personally I didn't find them any more difficult to avoid than I've experienced on any other ship though.

Sure, if you go to breakfast at the buffet at peak time on a day when the ship is in port and (it seems) every one on the ship is wanting to eat and get off the ship at the same time you're going to see BIG lines. If this is a problem (and it IS for me) order breakfast in your cabin and enjoy a leisurely morning while the herd clambers for the exit.

As a crowd and line avoider who has made a science out of the activity here's a few other pointers. It IS possible to avoid all the lines for the most part.

• Come to the port early for Embarkation. To the person at the front of the line the word "crowd" is meaningless. While waiting you'll meet other, equally excited and starry-eyed passengers. The moaners are NOT at the front of the line.
  • Book a cabin NOT towards the center of the ship. While being positioned as close to the center of the ship makes for a cabin with less movement that is closer to every thing in general, the same logic puts you closer to areas that have a lot of hallway and elevator foot traffic.
  • On Princess, choose Anytime Dining. Duh. If you're trying to avoid a crowd, skip the dining option where every single person in the dining room eats at the same time, even lining up before the meal to get into the dining room
  • If forced to a fixed time seating, pick early and get dinner out of the way. Later seatings get all jumbled up with other prime time activities and shows. Get it out of the way early and get the jump on those who have framed their evening around late seating dinner often rushing (bad) from one event to another to make it, finding limited seating and frustration
  • Let the ship do your laundry. Sure it costs more but you're on vacation and the ship does a really good job. No need to either hope for an open washer or be on a schedule to be sure you get back in time to attend to it during the process.
  • Go a little later. In St Maarten, the early crowd rushes off the ship and the line for the water taxi backs up. We get off later or browse the area while the herd does the line thing. I've never had any real luck being one of the first off the ship nor had any real desire to try. The struggle to get my family up and going wouldn't be worth it....nor should it be. Why do the "hurry up and wait" thing when we don't have to?
  • Slow down. Let the herd pass you by. Intentionally relax. Take pause and operate outside what "everybody" seems to be doing. When you feel like you are watching a Discovery Channel or National Geographic special on the interaction of a pack of wild animals as you observe what's going on from a distance then you have arrived.

Are you concerned about nothing? Maybe, maybe not. Again, I think it’s a relative issue. It’s an issue that is good to do research on as you’re doing right now but not one to keep you from having the fabulous cruise that so many others have had.

I will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess next summer. I was on the Sapphire Princess before (completely sold out cruise). I am concerned about this ship being overcrowded from what I've read.

We will be onboard during a sold our cruise (most likely). What I am primarily concerned with is the crowds in the Horizon Court. Is it nearly impossible to find a table during breakfast and lunch times? Or am I being overly concerned for nothing? Also, is it difficult to get a seat during the evening show?

Last January on the Carribean Princess we felt getting a seat for a show was the biggest "crowd" problem. Whether you're talking about a show in the main theater or in one of the smaller venues, getting a seat meant getting there around 30 minutes early. After that it's standing room only, if that.

Getting a table in one of the buffet's wasn't an issue. Depending on the time you go you might have to scout around a bit, but you'll find one. We felt Princess didn't do as good a job as we had previously seen on Celebrity of cleaning tables promptly when someone was finished. If the buffet staff did a better job of removing dirty dishes from tables the situation would be even better.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in July. The problems we had with overcrowding were mainly felt in the theater and the lounges. Many nights we would arrive to see a show and had to stand in the back. If you want a good seat in the theater you really need to arrive at least 30-40 minutes before the show starts. Also, the photography area tends to get very crowded...they just don't have enough space to put out all the pictures. As far as the Horizon Court or the dining room, we really didn't have any problems with the crowds there. The dining room service on the CB was not as good as we have had on the smaller Grand Class ships either. We really enjoy the shows...so getting a good seat there was an issue for us. If we had a choice of sailing on the Star, Grand, or Sapphire vs. the Caribbean Princess we would definitely stay away from the 3,000 plus passenger ships. We love Princess and are booked on the Sapphire in April, but they are building bigger ships to handle 3,000 plus passengers apparently to compete with Royal Caribbean. Bear in mind that we still had a wonderful cruise...it was a cruise after all...how can you not have a wonderful time on a cruise???

Sapphire Princess- April 2006

Caribbean Princess- July 2005

Star Princess- April 2005

Century- July 2004

Mariner of the Seas- April 2004

Grand Princess- August 2003

Enchantment of the Seas- April 2003

Monarch of the Seas- April 2002

Sovereign of the Seas- April 2001

Poster above states the Caribe Cafe is dressed in table cloths, complete with menu service. Isn't it a buffet? How does it work if we choose to perhaps eat here one of the formal nights?:confused:

It is a buffet but at night it takes on a more formal look with tablecloths and with tabletops preset with silverware and stemware. The idea is to create an additional space for dining in the evening that is more fancy than the Horizon Court but not as structured as the dining room service.

You still get your own food but someone will be around to take your wine or beverage order, should you choose to avail yourself of that service.

The messages above give a lot of helpful information about how to avoid the crowds. I would just underline a couple of the points made above:

1) We were surprised how few people ventured back to the Caribe Cafe. The only explanation we could come up with was that they saw the food in the Horizon buffet and stayed there. We thought the food and the atmosphere was better in the Caribe, and never had any trouble finding a table there.

2) The pool in the back of the ship is wonderful. It rarely filled up, was much quieter than the main pools, and had a fantastic view of the ship's wake--blue sky and ocean everywhere. The only downside was that kids are not allowed on the main deck--although if you just move up a couple of decks, there is a little kids pool with a slide, and a jacuzzi.

What a thorough and detailed post. This should be copied and posted as a sticky or FAQ on the CB.

We had no problems at all during our spring break cruise last March. Embarkation was amazing, enjoyed anytime dining and the aft pool. Had no problems getting deck chairs and did our own thing in the ports.

Can't wait for January!

We were on the same New Year's cruise on the CB with Vicki and didn't feel that this ship was nearly as crowded as our past experience on the Grand Princess. Which surprised me since the weather wasn't that great and people were indoors for most of the sea days.

We never had a problem finding a table in the Cafe Caribe for breakfast or lunch; it never felt crowded disembarking or embarking the ship in port; I never had a problem finding somewhere to sit and read a book; never had to wait long, if at all, at the Pursar's Desk or the Shore Excursion Desk; etc. We had Anytime dining and even though we had a standing reservation, we still had to wait to be seated at least a few minutes every night and a couple of times, it was a 15 - 30-minute wait for "our" table. Those were Formal nights and people were more leisurely at dinner so I understood.

Overall, even though I prefer the smaller ships, I'd go on the CB again.

Archived