Disembarcation in Civitavecchia, Italy

jewels07

Has anyone here experienced this? If so, roughly how long might it take to disembark, collect luggage and meet your driver?

If we get off the ship at 8.30 am, is 9.30 a good time to tell our car to meet us for our transfer to Rome?

Thanks in advance.

Jewels

It is super simple. There is no customs/immi at all. Just walk off, collect your luggage, and you're done. I wouldn't allow more than half an hour at most to meet your driver, as long as they are meeting you at the dock area. Otherwise you will just be standing around waiting.

Cathy is correct. However...Make sure the driver has a license to pick you up dockside and not outside of the port area. If he doesn't, you will need time to catch the free ships' shuttle (with your luggage) and get to the outside. This could be a lengthy process waiting for the bus to fill and load luggage.

Services like Rome Cabs, Stefano Tours and Rome in Limo have the licenses.

I feel like I answered this question to someone else just the other day. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

As far as I know, there is only one train station. After you get outside the port, you go to the left. It's a very brisk, short walk to the station. Perhaps 10-15 minutes. Search on Youtube. There use to be a very good video with directions from port to train station. We used that as a guide.

Thanks. We've used that one before for the ride into Rome. I was looking at buying tickets online for Lucca. The way I read the timetable gave me there were two stations.

Anyone know the name of the one near the port?

Okay. First of all, from the OLD shuttle drop off near the fort, the train station is to the RIGHT, along the waterfront.

However, for the last year, the dropoff point has been moved farther away from the train station and is now about a mile away. Once you get off the shuttle, you can get on a bus for about 1E that will take you to the station but it only runs every 20 minutes and there is a considerable line.

There are going to be a lot of confused repeat passengers this season. . .

FWIW I had no trouble putting in Civitavecchia and Lucca on the trenitalia site. You may be searching too far in the future, I believe they only sell tickets four months in advance. You can look for the same day of the week within this month to see what the options will be. Worst case scenario, click on "Tutte le stazioni" for all stations.

Edited by CathyCruises