Best way to carry ship card

KaDarr

Keeping the cruise card next to a camera or other device will de-magnetise it

Ā 

Sorry, but the chances of a camera or cell phone demagnetizing a room key is very slim. :rolleyes:

Ā 

Sorry, but the chances of a camera or cell phone demagnetizing a room key is very slim. :rolleyes:

Ā 

Actually a cell phone does, room key in particular.

Ā 

I commonly carry my credit card in the PROVIDED SLOT in my cell phone wallet with no problem, and so I discounted the front desk telling me it was the cell phone (that I carry in a neck wallet on vacation because it is also my camera) demagnetizing my room key... multiple times... but I was the only one having that happen of the three of us (the only one with both a lanyard and a cell phone around my neck) in December. So this cruise, I clipped my room key to my waist instead, and sure enough, the only time I had to get a new room key was when I absent-mindedly clipped it to the phone and not my waist.

Edited by crystalspin

Actually a cell phone does, room key in particular.

Ā 

I commonly carry my credit card in the PROVIDED SLOT in my cell phone wallet with no problem, and so I discounted the front desk telling me it was the cell phone (that I carry in a neck wallet on vacation because it is also my camera) demagnetizing my room key... multiple times... but I was the only one having that happen of the three of us (the only one with both a lanyard and a cell phone around my neck) in December. So this cruise, I clipped my room key to my waist instead, and sure enough, the only time I had to get a new room key was when I absent-mindedly clipped it to the phone and not my waist.

Ā 

Not necessarily. I routinely carry my room key next to my cell phone and/or tablet and have never demagnetized it. There are a lot of variables at play here... make and model of cell phone, carrying case, etc. But to make a blanket statement that cell phones demagnetize room keys is just not accurate.

Ā 

The front desk tells people these things because they are looking for a convenient culprit, not because it's necessarily correct. :rolleyes:

We travelled with P&O Australia - they had two different punches available at reception - a slot one and a round hole one, and punched according to what you were hanging it off.

Ā 

I picked up a couple of retractable card holders similar to what my daughter had issued for her security pass at work. The clip can go on a belt loop, on your handbag zipper etc. or tucked away when not in use. Ours were from our local dollar shop, very similar to these:

Ā 

retractable-reel-id-card-badge-holder-carabiner.jpg

Ā 

R O T F L M F A O ........................

I found these in the secret drawer we all have in our kitchen- you know, the one where stuff goes to stay and never get found. I clean it out every so many years, when the draw no longer shuts. So, I am all set!

what do you do if you go swimming at a beach_? where do you store the lanyard. the Disney band I got this year I could wear on my wrist.

Ā 

I'm actually wondering how to handle this whilst swimming. I'm travelling solo so can't leave it with someone else. Is it ok to leave it under the towel on a deck chair or something similar? I'm assuming that whether wrist or lanyard it would be a pain to wear while in the water and if I tucked it into my swimsuit i'd worry about it falling out (or having to dig into my cleavage to recover it :eek: )

On cruise ships we see plenty of "lanyard people" and "robe people" which always make DW and I smile. DW was a classroom teacher for over 32 years and there is no way she will ever again put a lanyard around her neck. But that is certainly an option. We have actually seen "lanyard people" walking around in European ports and once had a lady (wearing a lanyard with her cruise card) tell us (in Honfleur, France) how she carefully dressed not to look like an American or cruiser. Too funny.

Ā 

As to how to carry the card I simply put it in my pocket :). DW often carries her in her Kindle cover (she does not go anywhere on a ship without her Kindle) or in a pocket. It is weird that we do not notice folks walking around our home town with lanyards. Wonder what they do with their house keys?

Ā 

Hank

Ā 

You and your wife are "smiling" when you see those "lanyard people" or "robe people" ...???? Very few people in your hometown pay for their drinks while in a swimsuit with their house keys. I always smile when I see someone that keeps their house key in their Kindle.

What about those expandable color spiral key rings you can put around your wrist or elbow level on your arm? That's what I was thinking of grabbing for my husband and our teen kids. I was thinking of a hole punch and the card on the key ring. I'm glad to see this thread, we are first time cruisers and I was literally thinking of this while trying to fall asleep last night. :)

• 2 months later...

We were on P&O Australia's Pacific Pearl and they had suitable hole punches at reception - both a single round hole and a slot punch, depending on what you were hanging your card from

Put me in the "anti" lanyard group. They remind me very much of what you would put around a young child incase they get lost. ;) I always imagine that the lanyards wearers are those that get off the ship with their fanny packs :D and those are just as much of a fashion statement. :cool:

For the record, I bought lanyards, guest services hole punched our cards and I wore mine daily under my shirt. It was barely visible, always accessible and I don't own, nor would ever, wear a fanny pack. I worked great! [emoji106]šŸ¼[emoji6]