Yikes...Hurricane season??

thehams

DF and I will be going on RCI in September (Cozumel, Belize and Roatan) I have read that we will be going smack in the middle of hurricane season :eek:. It looks like it's also the rainy season in Cozumel.

Has any one gone in September before? What was your experience?

Yes, hot, humid and possible thunderstorms, but usually they don't last long. Did you purchase travel protection? It's a good idea in case your cruise decides to go some place else (and you choose not to go that route) or incase it's cancelled all toghether. Sometimes there's compensation, sometimes there isn't. It's easier knowing you have the coverage than fighting for it if something happens.

The likelyhood of a hurricane is possible, but as John stated above, usually if they know a hurricane is coming, they will re-route you. Could cause some rougher than normal seas, but the captain & crew will do everything in their power to keep you out of harms way. That being said, it's possible that your itinerary will change, so you have to be flexible.

Are we taking thunderstorms just in Cozumel or all 3 ports?

Plan for all three. You can follow the weather as you get closer to sail date. Pack accordingly. A light folding poncho should be sufficient. If a tropical system is heading toward the area where you will be sailing, the ship may change itinerary and will certain avoid the rougher storms.

Well this puts a little damper on things a bit.

Hurricane season is why you got such a great deal on the cruise! ;)

Usually not a problem - if it is, the ship goes somewhere else, maybe you get some OBC, and more opportunities to consume DODs! :D

We always cruise in August/September. Have only had bad weather one time and it happened to be Hurricane Katrina. Seas were rough for 2 days and we arrived late into our first port Cozumel, missed Calica the second day due to high seas so we went back to Cozumel. Still had a great trip.

Really? I had no idea it was a great deal! Cruise's are always going to be cheaper during hurricane season?

Cruises are less expensive in Sept. because of two things. It's the "height" of hurricane season and kids are back in school. Cruises in summer (which is also hurrican season) are more expensive because more families cruise - and many ships are in Alaska or Europe for summer so there is less avaialbility in the Caribbean.

Sept. cruises are almost always less expensive. :0 That being said, I would not hesitate to cruise in Sept. I've have actually and had an awesome time, perfect weather! Just know that it may not be perfect weather and be ready to go with the flow. :)

Hurricane season is June-Oct EVERY YEAR for EVERY part of the Caribbean!!!!

This means it can be sunny and humid, it can rain 5 minutes or 5 hours every day. This is true for EVERY destination in the Caribbean.

BUT

it can rain 5 minutes or 5 hours ANY DAY in the entire YEAR in the Caribbean!!! The islands are tropical and green because it rains.