Help - Nassau - taking MIL (84)

hartskys

I really hope someone can help us out. My husband and I are taking my mother in law (who is 84) on a cruise next month. We want to make it really special for her. She is 84 but can get around quite well just can't walk long distances. Does anyone have any ideas that we could do? Is there tours you can book at the pier? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Just curious, you have been on 16 or so cruises and never went to Nassau ? :)

We have been on several cruises and believe it or not we have not

Been to Nassau. We have also asked on other islands groups we are going to which we have been to but we have always went to beaches and went on snorkel excursions with our kids. This time will definately be different because my mother in law will be with us so not sure what to do.

Thanks, Yes you can book tours right in the Welcome Center. Maybe a island tour and there is also a horse and carriage tour of downtown.

Thanks, sounds great. I think she would like the horse and carriage for sure. Thought about going out to see Atlantis - I'm sure just the hotel in the background would make some great Kodak moments. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Long distance is subjective so hard to help. The walk along the pier to the close marketplace is at least a few blocks. That would be added onto any walking she's already done on the ship. Once you're through the maze of vendors and onto the street there are taxis to take you to whatever destination you select. However, if you walk 1-2 blocks up to Bay St there are lots of stores for shopping. There is also visible and pleasant police presence along that street.

I took a longer walk including some uphill to the National Art Gallery. It is an easy taxi ride and was a nice way to spend an hour or so. It is a gallery and not a museum, but there are 3 floors to wander through.

There was also some waiting in line to get back through the turnstiles for the pier to re-board the ship. Many aren't big fans of Nassau so skipping isn't a big deal. I would say watch/monitor how she does in other ports or just the longer walks on the ship to see if exiting at Nassau is right for her at that time.

Edited by Nola26

• 1 month later...

What did you all end up doing? We are going to Nassau in July -- traveling with my dad (1 month shy of turning a young 88) as well as with my BF and his boys (6 & 18) .. we usually go to the free beach, but that is way too far for dad to walk and besides, he can't be in the sun - has to have shade. We are looking for something fun for everyone, but not a lot of walking is #1. TIA

Marianne

What did you all end up doing? We are going to Nassau in July -- traveling with my dad (1 month shy of turning a young 88) as well as with my BF and his boys (6 & 18) .. we usually go to the free beach, but that is way too far for dad to walk and besides, he can't be in the sun - has to have shade. We are looking for something fun for everyone, but not a lot of walking is #1. TIA

Marianne

The pier at Nassau is really long, I would seriously look at a shore excursion through the ship. The busses seemed to pick up right at the ship. I'd verify to be sure that they all do.

Yes, I know that pier is long ... Been there several times ... He can make that walk, but probably not any further ... Didn't know whether to book a carnival tour (hate doing that because it is usually so much more expensive) or get a cab and do stuff on our own ... Usually in Nassau we (my bf and I) just walk to Junkanoo beach for the day, so needed other ideas that my dad and the kids would enjoy ... Maybe the zoo ... Idk