Montego Bay with a 5 year old.

luvslexi

Hello Cruisers!

I am cruising in April with Carnival. I can't seem to find a ship sponsored excursion that is appropriate for a 5 year old and that is not crazy costly. The shopping is fine and all but she will loose her mind and be really bored after a short time.

My main question is this: Is Montego Bay like some of the other ports I have been to where there are busses and the like at the port that will shuttle your happy little buts to a local beach for the day?

I have seen this in LaPaz MX where the beach is pretty far from the port.

Thanks a bunch! <3

You could do an AI either to Sunset Beach or to Hilton Rose Hall. We have been to Rose Hall and it is absolutely beautiful there with several pools, lazy river, water slides, lush greenery, kids games, food and drinks included. I have a complete review listed in my signature line with TONS of pictures if you are interested.

Sunset beach is located a really short distance from the port. I have not personally been here (but have been to what use to be like a sister resort and was almost the same as this place, in Ocho Rios and had a good day) and another cruiser went there and has tons of pictures in their blog located HERE.

Another option would be to catch a cab and head over to the local beach called Doctors Cave.

I was just at Montego Bay last week and really the port is nothing more than a couple of small shops, you can see it all in less than an hour. You will need to take a bus or taxi up to the Hip Strip area, Doctor's Beach is right there, as well as Margaritaville, tons of small shops and large ones, food, etc.

Jamaica is not like Cozumel where you can just wander around and feel safe. People in Jamaica are pushier, will run up and grab your arm and try to get you into their taxi or store. It might be frightening for a small child. Be prepared.