Picture HEAVY Indy 8 night review

Snorkelling wasn't the greatest in Labadee - the water is quite cloudy in spots. Out past the cabanas at Nellies it wasn't too bad. Here's a few videos anyway - the first one is just me floating on a mat giving you an overall look at the beach area. The next two are snorkelling videos out past the cabanas.

OLlDXAqQ7ig

egQWc_VbFbE

bd4F8aHzSSo

Great photos, but when I went to watch the snorkeling videos at Labadee they showed that they were private. I'd love to see them!

I am really enjoying your review. The days before our own Indy cruise can't seem to go by fast enough! You've really gotten me excited! :D

Well, with the last port behind me here's a few last parting shots from the ship.

Leaving Labadee

16616319627_20249a8993_b.jpg

One of the things I like to try and get on a ship is that perfect sunset picture. Unfortunately clouds hampered that for most of this cruise but I did get a couple decent ones.

16197105823_a2a2e8aaa7_b.jpg

16791159006_ede43b733b_b.jpg

16629478538_3d1af739e7_b.jpg

On the second last evening in the MDR they came around and offered a $20 galley tour/lunch at Chops. We thought it was a decent deal so we took it. Here's a few pictures from that tour/lunch.

It started in the MDR.

16822548321_ac312e530a_b.jpg

and proceeded out into the galley.

16823624425_e16c725ee2_b.jpg

16822547101_fbe2ffa3df_b.jpg

16637507649_94e0daac5c_b.jpg

16636063688_ed512b6f64_b.jpg

Great photos, but when I went to watch the snorkeling videos at Labadee they showed that they were private. I'd love to see them!

I am really enjoying your review. The days before our own Indy cruise can't seem to go by fast enough! You've really gotten me excited! :D

Sorry about that - I published the videos but there was an "unknown error" with them. I went back this morning and published them again - have a look now. I think they should be up and viewable.

You'll have a great time on the Indy!

Sorry about that - I published the videos but there was an "unknown error" with them. I went back this morning and published them again - have a look now. I think they should be up and viewable.

You'll have a great time on the Indy!

Yes, I can watch the videos now.

And for my final post of pictures, here's 3 from the Indy, again completely random. I'm just putting them in here to finish off.

Hope you all enjoyed the picture review. Next cruise for us will be to the same ports but different ship - The Navigator. 8 months away. Sigh.

bye for now.

16871330782_074d5c3dde_b.jpg

16846630376_f0a15d32ed_b.jpg

16686385649_8b69562c90_b.jpg

And for my final post of pictures, here's 3 from the Indy, again completely random. I'm just putting them in here to finish off.

Hope you all enjoyed the picture review. Next cruise for us will be to the same ports but different ship - The Navigator. 8 months away. Sigh.

bye for now.

We did this cruise on Navigator the year it was doing the 8 nighters in place of Indy. It was a very good cruise. I like that ship a lot.

Good that you'll be coming to Saint John. We'll have to keep in touch and when the time comes Vanda and I would like to meet you guys and maybe give you a little 5 cent tour of our fair city. Maybe by then the snow will be gone. :(

I sent you a friend request via cruise critic. We can exchange emails if you like.

We very much would like to stay in touch and would look forward to meeting you and Vanda in Saint John. We always look forward to visiting Canada as everyone is so lively after enduring such hard winters as you have lately.... ;)

Dsc04355.jpg

I did accept your friend request on CC, but can we communicate with e-mails via CC or have to send our address via normal channels? Can't figure that out and would hate to lose touch with you two. :confused: Any help would be appreciated.

Dion

Labadee was our next stop. I like Labadee, not as much as DW or DS - they both really enjoy the day there. To me its a nice beach day. This was our third visit there and like the other two times, we got a Cabana. It will probably be our last given the price of the things now.

This was our first visit to Labadee and we were looking forward to seeing what RCI had done. Been most times to Coco Cay and Labadee is what I would expect if I went to a resort beach. Not being beach and sun people, we had thoughts of doing the Zip Line, as we had done the Zip Line in Alaska and would love to do it again. However, the price RCI was asking for this really threw us off, not that it was more than what we paid in Alaska, but we didn't have it in our budget and would want to see what we would pay for before committing.

We made the right decision once we saw the Zip Line. It was nowhere near as exciting than was Icy Straight Point in Hoonah, Alaska and IMHO, not worth the money they were asking. Pretty flat and not the thrill that the longer and higher ride we have experienced. We opted to do the Roller Coaster which was OK, but maybe not as good as the Jamaican Bobsled in Ocho Rios. We got two rides for 1/3 the price of the Zip and even was offered a 3rd free ride by the operator!

In our exploration on Labadee we did find the 'practice zip line' and noted that you get 1 and 1/3 Zip lines for the $95 ticket. We also got a chance to see the harness and trolley apparatus that the riders use. That accounted for why they were hanging on to the trapeze as the flew down the line. The harness is different in Alaska, note the photos below. You sit in a 'chair' and when you fly down, the chair will twist direction and it is necessary to put out your arms to steer straight on the trip down. Guess we have to do another Alaskan cruise in the future.

Google YouTube for Icy Straight Point for videos of that Zip line.....

The Practice facility to indoctrinate riders .....

Dsc08149.jpg

Note the rider has to hold on to the trapeze bar overhead, there appears to be no back support on the harness to allow them to lean back in the seat.....

DSC08148.JPG

End of the line ....great place to watch the spring buffered stops, but the speed is slowed down considerably as the line flattens out. Note the start tower is on the low ridge to the left of the photo....

Dsc08185.jpg

Alaskan Zip Line at Icy Straight Point 2008. Start tower is tucked away in fir trees at center of photo and ride ends behind building on left side of photo.

15169427746_e20d8e3949_o.jpg

Point of No Return .... actually you can 'chicken out' here and ride the bus back to the town. Operators said more men bail out here than women!

15189385781_d52a539462_o.jpg

View of the seat and harness shows back support cables and straps which allow the rider to sit relaxed with hands free to extend arms and form wings to control twisting. The other difference is that the harness mechanism has to be returned back to the tower via a cable before the next ride can be run. In Labadee the rider's harness is detached from the trolley, then the trolley removed from the cable and taken back up to the top with the next truck load of riders

15189385311_c8be555314_o.jpg

Mike, I was sorting through pictures and found this one taken at the Wave Sail Away on Deck 4. I also saw the video from the port cam and noticed a man in a red shirt with a woman and a young man behind a Canadian flag just forward of the bump out where the wave party was gathered. Could these three people be Vanda, your son and you?

DSC06938.JPG

We very much would like to stay in touch and would look forward to meeting you and Vanda in Saint John. We always look forward to visiting Canada as everyone is so lively after enduring such hard winters as you have lately.... ;)

Dsc04355.jpg

I did accept your friend request on CC, but can we communicate with e-mails via CC or have to send our address via normal channels? Can't figure that out and would hate to lose touch with you two. :confused: Any help would be appreciated.

Dion

Obviously you were there in the fall/

You can email me at mgbutler@nbnet.nb.ca and I'll keep your email in my address book. Plus I'm sure we'll bump into each other on the CC here as well.

Mike, I was sorting through pictures and found this one taken at the Wave Sail Away on Deck 4. I also saw the video from the port cam and noticed a man in a red shirt with a woman and a young man behind a Canadian flag just forward of the bump out where the wave party was gathered. Could these three people be Vanda, your son and you?

DSC06938.JPG

Nope not us unfortunately

One thing I should mention. Be careful where you swim. As long as you stay inside the buoy lines and markers you do not need to worry about sea urchins. If you wade into the water outside that area (where the snorkelling is the best) then you risk stepping on one. While it wont kill you it is painful. Someone from the ship stepped on one and I couldn't resist looking. It looked like he had about 10 or 15 sharp black needles in his foot. So if you are going to snorkel, walk into the swimming area first and float to the snorkleing area. You'll see the sea urchins on my videos below.

Here is a better view for you [emoji2]

6edc18b22b4946c05a2c7a57927a354b.jpg

One thing I should mention. Be careful where you swim. As long as you stay inside the buoy lines and markers you do not need to worry about sea urchins. If you wade into the water outside that area (where the snorkelling is the best) then you risk stepping on one. While it wont kill you it is painful. Someone from the ship stepped on one and I couldn't resist looking. It looked like he had about 10 or 15 sharp black needles in his foot. So if you are going to snorkel, walk into the swimming area first and float to the snorkleing area. You'll see the sea urchins on my videos below.

Here is a better view for you [emoji2]

6edc18b22b4946c05a2c7a57927a354b.jpg

If I can remember right I was sitting right beside your parents on the beach when this happened. You and your wife took a ride back to the ship with my son. I hope you feel better now and you were able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

What a great review and stunning pictures.

Nbsjcruiser - I've posted a link to your review on our Indy TA next Oct Roll call. 9 nights TA and then the same ports you've reviewed. Really good way to whet the appetite! Also some great ideas to do ashore.

Thank you.

What a great review and stunning pictures.

Nbsjcruiser - I've posted a link to your review on our Indy TA next Oct Roll call. 9 nights TA and then the same ports you've reviewed. Really good way to whet the appetite! Also some great ideas to do ashore.

Thank you.

We were on Indy's 2013 TA and we posted many photos on our Flikr account if you are interested. Our TA was 13 days from Southampton-St Maarten-San Juan and Ft Lauderdale. We did 7 days on 2 short cruises before the TA Southampton-Zeebruge and Le Havre. You can access the Flikr photos at the following link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dion_teri/12061092596/in/set-72157639373138704