So..how hard is the first SOLO cruise?

KPfromCT

Hi there I have been on 5 solo cruises including 18 day transatlantic from Europe to carribean last October. Off on Serena for 26 days in 1 April , can't wait to meet some great new cruise friends. Enjoy it and go with the flow

Thank-you for this thread. Today, I booked my first cruise ever. I am going on the Queen Victoria on the 13th November for a three day short cruise. Really very excited but kinda scared at the same time! Reading the posts here, I feel more relaxed going. I have always wanted to go on a cruise and finally I am going! :D

Thank-you for this thread. Today, I booked my first cruise ever. I am going on the Queen Victoria on the 13th November for a three day short cruise. Really very excited but kinda scared at the same time! Reading the posts here, I feel more relaxed going. I have always wanted to go on a cruise and finally I am going! :D

Good for you :)

I cruise solo and love every minute :D

You will be well looked after, so relax and enjoy :)

Hey Greg, only bad part is you aren't going until November. That's all I can think of. You will love the cruise experience whether it be solo or not. Great way to spend a vacation. I have been on 10 the past 5 years, 2 of them have been solo. All have been great.

Here are some sites that you may enjoy.

shipparade.com has a lot of great photos and facts and figures of many ships.

cruiseradio.net has an excellent weekly radio show. You can click on listen to cruise radio for the most recent episode and below you can click on over 200 shows from the past. A lot of great information.

If you like, send me an e-mail with any questions. I love sharing information about cruises/ships. jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com

Happy sailing.

I'm single & live on my own, so I'm used to spending time by myself.

It got to the point where if I didn't go on holiday on my own I'd never go anywhere. I'd always fancied a cruise, so risked 7 days and loved it. Next time was another 7 days (just in case again!) but I soon realised its just not long enough. Now if I can I go for 14 nights for my main holiday - solo cruise number 12 is booked for July and I have been to some amazing places.

It's funny reading these posts how many of the experienced solo cruisers have had the same experiences as me - I just go with a view to enjoying myself and doing what I want to. If I make new friends (and so far I always have) then so much the better.

It also makes me smile how hung up about eating everyone is - I was just the same and stayed in the buffet where I could be anonymous & eat alone for the first 2. Cruise 3 had formal dining and I discovered the delights of the MDR, 3 or 4 courses & a nice glass of wine. The buffet is just for breakfast & lunch now.

I tend to go for anytime dining so I can eat when I choose. I've had a table for 1, different table mates every night & the same group for a week - they all work equally well depends what you like.

Even now I still get nerves at first, but getting on with it is part of the experience.

If I could give any advice it would be to go with the attitude you will enjoy yourself no matter what, when things go wrong (& they will) deal with it then move on, tomorrow's another day and remember no one knows you, but most people like to meet new friends on holiday (whether they are couples or singles) and they will be interested in what you have to say.

On yes - and have fun - it's the only way to travel [emoji3]

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I have always cruised with a couple but have had a room by myself. However they do not want to cruise this year so have been thinking about going alone. Everyone is giving me the courage to book and go solo! Worried about the dining room but will go one time and if I don't enjoy it there are other options. Which cruise line do you recommend for an older single woman? I have cruised RCL and Celebrity! Love the cruises on both!

Which cruise line do you recommend....? I have cruised RCL and Celebrity! Love the cruises on both!

As you have sailed with & liked RCL & Celebrity already I'd choose one of those, because you already know you'll like that. I've sailed with both solo & had a great time.

I tend to pick the cruise I can afford with the best itinerary, as I like to go to different places. Decide what's important to you (on your own you have no one else to please [emoji1]) then see which ship suits that best.

Thank you Gary-T

I am going on my first river cruise in August with a friend. Have decided to book a RCL to the Caribbean. If I enjoy it (certain I will) then will book a trans-Atlantic on Celebrity. Even when traveling with my friends I eat many meals alone just not in MDR.

I am going to keep following this thread for the information!

It's not awkward at all for me, but you know yourself the best. I actually enjoy that quiet time reading my book. It's faster and I can go when I want. In the MDR, you will spend time with the same people and talk with them every night.

Yes I can echo KruzPrincess...I don't find dining at a table alone awkward at all. It is dependent on each individual; the key thing to remember is that no one else is looking funny at you or talking about the fact your at a table alone. The vast majority of people are too busy in their own conversations and won't give the solo diner more than a passing glance. Enjoy yourself with a book or people watching or just daydreaming.

I actually enjoy the MDR or restaurants at a table by myself. It's a great time to just focus on the food and enjoy my wine and a good book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, all

I'm doing my first solo in 4 weeks. 7 nights. I plan on eating in the MDR. It's nice to know that the Lido and room service is always there if I panic, but I plan on having a blast! I do have a balcony room so if the crowds are too much, I have my own little hide-away.

I'm a very early riser, coffee drinker and smoker so I'm looking forward to having all that freedom to do what I want when I want and not be on anyone else's schedule (which is usually opposite of mine).

I'm doing two excursions as I not quite ready to walk around I my own. But I hoping it's a good experience and that ill meet people. If it all goes well,which I'm sure it will, ill go ahead and make that final payment on my 11 day solo in September.

I simply love cruising!!!

Cheers!

I'm taking my third solo cruise next month. I'm hooked. My first time was on Carnival and I specifically asked the m'atre d about who I would be sitting with. He assured me I would be with other solo people, but when dinner rolled around, it was three families. I was ok, but it would have been better if they actually put me with people looking to socialize more.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruised alone for the first time last year after 17 cruises. It was great even though I did not meet anyone until the last few days. I found another solo traveler on an excursion and we had a lot of fun. I am in my 50's she was late 30's but we laughed and laughed and enjoyed our trip. I am planning on doing another one this spring, just looking for the best rates and it looks like the getaway NCL solo cabin, so far!

My first solo cruise was my first ever cruise. I had no idea what to expect.

The group I was seated with was all solo cruisers and we had a wonderful time sharing stories.

My favorite story is meeting a lady from Falls Church VA (I was living in Bethesda MD),also sailing solo. I sat down at one of the pool bars and we started a conversation. Nothing like traveling thousands of miles to meet someone from close to home.

Go with no expectations and a willingness to be pleasantly surprised.

Stories when you get back

• 2 weeks later...

My husband passed away last year and I have gone through quite a lot of grieving, re-connecting with old and finding new friends.

We loved to cruise, I think I did more than he.

Now I'm ready to try it alone - I think. :confused: But I feel so ambivalent. I have had at least four 24-hour holds that I did not confirm. Yikes.

I want to leave from Baltimore which has the Carnival Pride and Grandeur of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). Do not want to have to fly for my first solo cruise. How can I make the leap?

My husband passed away last year and I have gone through quite a lot of grieving, re-connecting with old and finding new friends.

We loved to cruise, I think I did more than he.

Now I'm ready to try it alone - I think. :confused: But I feel so ambivalent. I have had at least four 24-hour holds that I did not confirm. Yikes.

I want to leave from Baltimore which has the Carnival Pride and Grandeur of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). Do not want to have to fly for my first solo cruise. How can I make the leap?

So sorry for your loss. No doubt there are a number of adjustments you are making, and you have to do those at your own pace. And you'll make the leap on cruising at your own pace as well.

As for cruising, you already know it's something you enjoy, so that helps. You know how it works, you know that you can always find people to engage with if you want. I'd suggest checking on the roll call boards for the cruises you're interested in. I know it's a microcosm of people who will be on the ship, but I've actually found that roll calls I found a connection on led to cruises I had a great time on.

Go with your gut. When it feels right (or almost right .. you might need a little nudge!), go for it. And enjoy!

I have solo cruised and cruised with others. My solo cruise was on Disney Dream-I loved it. It was my favorite cruise ever. I would not hesitate to book another and I did! I have a solo Breakaway booked for next year. I am more a fan of NCL and freestyle so I think I will enjoy my solo Breakaway even more. I was concerned about the main dining room-I was seated with another solo. My fellow diner was very nice to talk to. I am not a fan of the traditional dining, but lots of people like it because it gives you dining companions even if you are on your own. Go for it-don't just put it on hold, book it!

A question for you solo cruisers, what type of cabin do you usually book? I realize there are certain things that can determine this but I was just wondering. I am single and my daughter was usually my travel partner but she has a young son now and eventually I think I may be cruising solo. We most often booked a balcony cabin but I am thinking if I book this type of cabin as a solo I would become a hermit on a ship full of people. What do you choose?

A question for you solo cruisers, what type of cabin do you usually book? I realize there are certain things that can determine this but I was just wondering. I am single and my daughter was usually my travel partner but she has a young son now and eventually I think I may be cruising solo. We most often booked a balcony cabin but I am thinking if I book this type of cabin as a solo I would become a hermit on a ship full of people. What do you choose?

I had a balcony on my first cruise, my only solo because there was a good price for ex military. I had a week of vacation time to use or loose so I went with it.

You'll only be a hermit if you choose to.

Get out there and have fun

I normally get a interior for price cost - I mostly use the room to sleep, change clothes,shower, check my onboard account, and a quick look at the weather report. The rest of ship is my living /dining room - you can live as much of a hermit if you want to.[emoji14]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

If the cost is not too much more for a window that's my preference, but usually I get an interior cabin.

I agree with Maywell and also tend to use my room for sleeping & getting changed.

Much as I'd like to try a balcony the cost difference for a single person can be the price of another holiday, and I'd rather have the extra holiday [emoji2]

If the cost is not too much more for a window that's my preference, but usually I get an interior cabin.

I agree with Maywell and also tend to use my room for sleeping & getting changed.

Much as I'd like to try a balcony the cost difference for a single person can be the price of another holiday, and I'd rather have the extra holiday [emoji2]

Very good point

:)

I agree. I use the cabin for sleeping, changing, and down time if I need it. I've always been able to find a quiet place on deck if I want the "balcony" experience, but I actually enjoy interacting with other passengers. I've only done one solo cruise, but there have been times I wish I had gone alone.:) And if I'm really dying for an ocean view, I turn on the tv to the webcam. Voila.

Edited by redbaroness

Hi, all

I'm doing my first solo in 4 weeks. 7 nights. I plan on eating in the MDR. It's nice to know that the Lido and room service is always there if I panic, but I plan on having a blast! I do have a balcony room so if the crowds are too much, I have my own little hide-away.

I'm a very early riser, coffee drinker and smoker so I'm looking forward to having all that freedom to do what I want when I want and not be on anyone else's schedule (which is usually opposite of mine).

I'm doing two excursions as I not quite ready to walk around I my own. But I hoping it's a good experience and that ill meet people. If it all goes well,which I'm sure it will, ill go ahead and make that final payment on my 11 day solo in September.

I simply love cruising!!!

Cheers!

Have a blast! And when you take that September cruise on Royal Princess be sure to be on deck when she leave port to hear the ship's horn.:)

Reading your posts has give me a much needed confidence boost. I'll be cruising solo for the first time on 17 May, by circumstances and not choice. My DH passed away last November, we loved cruising and always had a fantastic time. We particularly wanted to do the cruise I'm going on - the 3 Queens salute in Liverpool for the 175th centenary - then he took ill. After much deliberating I finally booked it last week, with a lot of coaxing from my daughter.

Yes, it's going to be very strange and totally different to my previous cruises but I want to try it to see if I still enjoy it as much. To be honest on sea days we always went our separate ways to different lectures, activities etc so I'm used to spending time on my own. I've always loved eating in the MDR on a large table and meeting people so that's what I'm going to do this time too. I'm very happy and comfortable with my own company but also enjoy meeting others too. My one concession has had to be lower heeled evening shoes as I won't have my darling man to hold on to if it's a little bumpy. I know he would be very happy and proud that I've decided to go on this cruise, and will be with me in spirit, no way would he miss the fun.