RCI Fans headed back to Carnival

nbsjcruiser

So having grown tired of the WOW sales that weren't really WOW sales (unless it was WOW these prices are really high) and high drink prices and rising costs on just about everything on RCI, we've determined its time to spend our dollars elsewhere. We do have the Navigator of the Seas booked for the fall but next year we're going to book the Breeze for its 8 day Eastern. I really love the itinerary and I believe the Breeze is Carnival's newest ship with the toned down décor. We're thinking about doing a specialty restaurant every night so I was wondering what you guys could tell me about the fee based restaurants on the Breeze? How many are there? What's your favourite? To me a cruise is 50% about the food so I want to be able to really enjoy the food. What do you all recommend?

Hey there, we will be cruising the Breeze for the first time this year. I am super excited. I think the only fee based restaurants on the ship would be the Steak house and the Pasta restaurant for dinner. I hope this helps.

There is also bar type appetizers at the Red Frog Pub.

But give the MDR a try too. Some good food there. Loved the Mahi Mahi on the first night.

Also some great options on the Lido. Guy's burgers are a bit greasy but so so good! I've heard the taco and burritos are excellent. I'm not a huge Mexican fan so I only tried them once and thought they were ok.

The Tandori had good food especially the butter chicken. They move Sea Dogs to the Lido on Island days after the buffet closes for lunch. Good options there (sausage and bratwurst in addition to the standard hotdogs). I'm not one for chili dogs but was told by a few on my last cruise that it was the best chili sauce they've had on a dog.

I agree on many levels with you nbsjcruiser. We are Emerald on RCL and with my up coming cruise we would have pushed to the next loyalty level. We rode Freedom of the Seas last May and found food and service noticeably lower. Next month we are on the 8 day eastern on Breeze and we are pretty amped up for it. I cruise for the boat and the onboard experience. Ports of call are nice but we've been to most of them and frankly prefer to stay on the boat and relax. I'll post a comparison review when we get back for food, shows, and service. We are booked into the Steakhouse already so we can comment on that as well. Happy sailing! :D

There's also the Chef's Table. $75pp for 12 to 14 people with a stupendous evening -- food, tour, wine, etc.

I was just coming back to add that! :)

It is so much more than a meal, but this current menu is the best yet

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree on many levels with you nbsjcruiser. We are Emerald on RCL and with my up coming cruise we would have pushed to the next loyalty level. We rode Freedom of the Seas last May and found food and service noticeably lower. Next month we are on the 8 day eastern on Breeze and we are pretty amped up for it. I cruise for the boat and the onboard experience. Ports of call are nice but we've been to most of them and frankly prefer to stay on the boat and relax. I'll post a comparison review when we get back for food, shows, and service. We are booked into the Steakhouse already so we can comment on that as well. Happy sailing! :D

Well, that's another thing that disappointed as well. Getting off the Indy a couple of weeks ago, neither one of us was overly impressed with the food. It was ok but just ok.

Just booked the 8 day on the Breeze today. It was down to that or the NCL Getaway. I really like the Getaway ship itself but the itinerary of the Breeze is probably one of the best I've seen plus you get one extra day.

Now to start looking for Breeze videos and reviews!

Well, have to say we decided to call NCL and were quite surprised at the difference in the exchange rate. Since we are Canadian it makes a huge difference. They are charging only 11% compared to over 35% for Carnival. Long story short, when we compared the Breeze at $2180 Canadian to the Getaway at $1705 - sorry to say but money talks. Almost a $500 difference. We switched to NCL.

Thanks to those who responded to my questions though. We'll be back on Carnival someday.

So having grown tired of the WOW sales that weren't really WOW sales (unless it was WOW these prices are really high) and high drink prices and rising costs on just about everything on RCI, we've determined its time to spend our dollars elsewhere. We do have the Navigator of the Seas booked for the fall but next year we're going to book the Breeze for its 8 day Eastern. I really love the itinerary and I believe the Breeze is Carnival's newest ship with the toned down décor. We're thinking about doing a specialty restaurant every night so I was wondering what you guys could tell me about the fee based restaurants on the Breeze? How many are there? What's your favourite? To me a cruise is 50% about the food so I want to be able to really enjoy the food. What do you all recommend?

We too are very tired of RCCL attempts to dis the US passengers by focusing on China. I am Diamond level and was able to one sailing as a Diamond before RCCL went off and literally pulled the rug out from its US/Canadian passengers. Pricing is outrageous for the value given. Too many glitches with its "attempt" at being high tech. Too many activities that we are not interested in and will not use even though it is reflected in the higher cabin prices. Tampering with the food choices offered in the restaurants to the point that you must choose different venues to eat different food. Not liking the whole idea of reserving shows/dining before you board -- too much work for a vacation. Too many extra charges.

Carnival suits my needs for the variety of food offered in MDR and buffet areas without having to pay extra for speciality restaurants. I can comfortably make the evening shows without making a reservation for anything. I am happy with the activities offered and participate in many especially on sea days. Plus, RCCL has many more sea days vs. ports than Carnival. On an 11-day sailing, RCCL had almost 6 sea days with only 4 ports. Activities offered were minimal at best unless you played bingo several times per day.

MARAPRINCE

Well, have to say we decided to call NCL and were quite surprised at the difference in the exchange rate. Since we are Canadian it makes a huge difference. They are charging only 11% compared to over 35% for Carnival. Long story short, when we compared the Breeze at $2180 Canadian to the Getaway at $1705 - sorry to say but money talks. Almost a $500 difference. We switched to NCL.

Thanks to those who responded to my questions though. We'll be back on Carnival someday.

NCL's extra pay restaurants are GREAT! Enjoy them all.

So the cruise lines are converting their US price to a CDN price before billing you? I thought Carnival's price was always in US $$?? When we book it shows what we owe in US $$.

11% exchange is amazing(better then what it will cost to charge it to a credit card) and 35% is terrible!

So the cruise lines are converting their US price to a CDN price before billing you? I thought Carnival's price was always in US $$?? When we book it shows what we owe in US $$.

11% exchange is amazing(better then what it will cost to charge it to a credit card) and 35% is terrible!

There's no conversion charge on the CC. NCL is charging the entire price in Canadian dollars, so no conversion and they are charging only 11% whereas Carnival was closer to 35%. Carnival will allow you to book in Canadian. When booking all you need to do is ask them to price it in Canadian. Most times I won't bother with that but given the recent decline in the Canadian dollar and almost no hope that it will recover, its wise to book in Canadian, especially at 11%.

Is it any good if you do not appreciate wine? I do not.

Yes...they will serve you ginger ale or what you want for champagne time...and with dinner.

Search here for recent review of the third menu they are now doing...couple reviews...I an NOT missing it next Carnival cruise...it is a 150 dollar dinner anywhere else that fancy at least without wine. Exceptional. All food is work of art and many many courses...a 5 star LUXURY thing on a mainstream ship and less than the option on most others..a complete foodie winner.

We just got off the Breeze on Sunday........we did eat at the Steakhouse (every cruise we make sure to book the Steakhouse...sooo worth the extra surcharge) and also the Italian restaurent, Cucina del Capitano. But I will say that the MDR was fabulous...we really never had any problems with the MDR and the food, but Carnival has outdone itself. The new American Table was wonderful. I know it has received some negative comments but for the life of me, cannot figure out why. They offered a lot of the old favorites, plus new choices like Kale Ceasar Salad, different flatbreads every night, Mussels with Garlic Toast...etc. All were done very well. We live in Palm Beach County and have access to a lot of good restaurants, and while not the same as the finer restaurants, Carnival did a darn good job!!

My wife and I are RCI fans and we're headed back to Carnival for a summer cruise. We just got off the Allure, and while the ship was amazing, the service was absolutely awful! The crew was downright rude when they were even around. I've never had so much trouble getting a drink around the ship. It's sad when the most memorable crew member was the Guest Services Associate who helped us out.

Our experience with the Allure, plus RCI's sales that aren't really sales brought us back to try Carnival again, so we're headed out on the Magic this summer out of Galveston. We got an incredible rate on a Cove Balcony. It was over $800 cheaper than what RCI wanted for the Navigator.

We're thinking about doing a specialty restaurant every night so I was wondering what you guys could tell me about the fee based restaurants on the Breeze? How many are there? What's your favourite? To me a cruise is 50% about the food so I want to be able to really enjoy the food. What do you all recommend?

There's the Steakhouse, Cucina del Capitano, Bonsai Sushi...I think that's it for restaurants. There's finger foods in the Red Frog Pub that you can purchase and might be able to make a meal out of.

We've never eaten at the Steakhouse...$70 for dinner seems a little steep to us (when we've already spent so much on the fare!) but I've heard good things about it.

We ate at the Cucina twice on the ship and LOVED it. We really love Italian and it was great food. Some of the best Italian I've ever had. The fee is only $15 a person and the first night on the ship we got free wine. It was ok for us but we are not wine aficionados.

Bonsai Sushi was one of our favorites when we were on the Legend but on the Breeze we were kind of disappointed. The sushi was marginal but the prices are really cheap for sushi.

Enjoy!!