Distance to Price Is Right Taping

cormike1

This might sound like a dumb question but how far is it from the Crown Plaza LA Harbor Hotel to the CBS studio that the Price is Right tapes in. I would love to try and get tickets for the day we are in LA before our cruise. Is it feasible?

Around 30 miles, which could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on traffic.

Many contestants stay across the street at the Farmer's Daughter, a cool 50s/60s-style motel/hotel. The lobby is full of photos of smiling guests mugging with their winnings on TPIR. Note however that the show doesn't tape every day. The hotel (and CBS) are also across the street from the LA Farmers' Market, a fun place to visit and nosh.

Maybe you could stay there when you arrive in LA and just head to the port before it's time to sail?

It's not a dumb question at all and the answer is at your fingertips. Well, it's at my fingertips, as I did it for you. ;)

Click here for addresses and directions; looks to be about an hour away or so.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/601+S+Palos+Verdes+St,+San+Pedro,+CA+90731,+USA/7800+Beverly+Blvd,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90036,+USA/@33.9093633,-118.4590943,11z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dd3630d292817f:0x27e74c26ecfee620!2m2!1d-118.282033!2d33.738301!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c2b93227723899:0x888872ba293fc8!2m2!1d-118.3598534!2d34.0748272!3e0 <--click here

(if by chance the search times out or the link is broken, just go to any online maps and type in your two addresses)

A few more notes...

The Old Farmers Market is adjacent to a fairly new shopping center called "The Grove"--which is a real architectural masterpiece...Restaurants there include Maggiano's (a national chain--Italian--pretty good if you don't have one near you) and Wood Ranch (a local BBQ chain--one of the best in SoCal...

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

http://www.thegrovela.com/

https://www.woodranch.com/

If you want a more prototypical LA experience, go a couple of blocks north of CBS on Fairfax and you'll find Canter's Deli--an LA Landmark...

http://www.cantersdeli.com/home

I've been eating there since I was a kid...and I think I've found myself dining with celebrities an incredible number of times. I often used to run into the late Frank Zappa there (he was a regular...and my family knew him from back in his college days)...Check out the link on their web page to "Celebrities"...Incredible...The place was a hang-out for the old timers, the TV stars--with CBS nearby...and to a slew of Rock and Roll bands (many of whom went to school up the street at Fairfax High School--like Warren Zevon, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns 'n' Roses)...But, also the proximity to all of the music venues up by the nearby Sunset Strip and the fact that Canter's is open 24 hours, brought a lot of music people in here LATE night...

Also click on the link to "Kibitz Room" to get an even greater appreciation of what this place is...Canter's is no ordinary delicatessen...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Here's how it works --

1. If you have tickets, there will be a time listed on them when the door opens, but many of the shows will also list a time that is recommended to be in line (which could be a couple of hours before that time).

2. More tickets than seats will be given out as they'll want every seat to be filled. So many will get in line earlier than that recommended time to make sure they get a seat. Other than the Ellen show, there is not an overflow room so if you don't get a seat, you're turned away (some shows will offer you a "VIP" ticket in that case so you can get a seat the next time, but that won't help you).

3. The shows I've been to will request (strongly) that all phones, cameras, and other electronic devices be turned in at the entrance. I think they'll give you a ticket (like a coat check) but I do recommend you label everything with your name and other info. If you do keep your phone, absolutely double check to make sure it's turned off as the producers will be very upset with you (think kicking you out mad).

4. Murphy's Law will dictate that there will be many times that a taping will stop. So keep in mind you'll may need some hours for this taping from wait in line til the end of the taping(s).

CBS TV City is on Fairfax Ave just north of 3rd Avenue (Farmers Market is on the corner and just north of that is The Grove). Expect quite a bit of traffic in that area. If you get that early and are hungry, you can walk up the street and on the opposite side of the street is Cantors, which is a pretty famous eatery.

CBS Television City is also the place they tape 'Dancing With The Stars."

As a kid back in the '60s I use to stand at the stage door with my autograph book. I have so many happy memories of those times and my autograph book reads like a 'Who's Who' of old Hollywood.

CBS Television City is also the place they tape 'Dancing With The Stars."

As a kid back in the '60s I use to stand at the stage door with my autograph book. I have so many happy memories of those times and my autograph book reads like a 'Who's Who' of old Hollywood.

Ahhhh...the "Stage Door" at CBS Television City...I've got a favorite personal story about that...

Okay, back in the day, I was on a number of TV shows for a variety of reasons, but, most of those appearances were as a contestant on one game show or another...

Now, when they taped most of these, they would tape several shows in a single session...So, on shows where, when you won, you got to come back "tomorrow", it was usually really just 20 minutes later...In between, in order to give the appearance of it being another day, they had everyone change clothes... So, when showing up for the taping, they'd have you bring changes of clothes...

They also told us to show up at the "Artists' Entrance", knock on the door and they'd let us in...

So, there I am for a taping...and I get there a little early...I'm dressed in a sports coat and tie and carrying my hanging bag with spare outfits over my shoulder...

But, since I'm there early, nobody is manning the desk at the artist's entrance yet...

There is a LONG line wrapping around the building and passing the Artists' Entrance for the taping of some show or another (Several shows would sometimes tape at once in different studios)...

I look at my watch and pause a few moments...And, I overhear two older women talking--sort of obviously about ME! They have no idea that I am only there to be on a game show...They think I am somebody FAMOUS...and they are agreeing between themselves that I AM some famous actor or another--recalling what exactly they've seen me on... I walk away a few minutes, then come back closer to the time they said they'd be ready for us...and see someone is now on duty inside...

But, before I go in, I stop for a moment in front of these two women and say "So, what are you young ladies here to see today" They tell me they are here for a taping of "Tony Orlando"...I say "Oh, I understand he has a very good show taping today. Enjoy"...Then I turn, quickly open the door and quickly walk inside...

I am pretty sure that, after I left them, these two ladies were absolutely CERTAIN that they just spoke with a "star"...I am not sure who I was being confused with...But, for the rest of their days, they were likely bragging about meeting him...and how nice a guy he was...

Edited by Bruin Steve

If you want a more prototypical LA experience, go a couple of blocks north of CBS on Fairfax and you'll find Canter's Deli--an LA Landmark...

http://www.cantersdeli.com/home

I've been eating there since I was a kid...and I think I've found myself dining with celebrities an incredible number of times. I often used to run into the late Frank Zappa there (he was a regular...and my family knew him from back in his college days)...Check out the link on their web page to "Celebrities"...Incredible...The place was a hang-out for the old timers, the TV stars--with CBS nearby...and to a slew of Rock and Roll bands (many of whom went to school up the street at Fairfax High School--like Warren Zevon, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns 'n' Roses)...But, also the proximity to all of the music venues up by the nearby Sunset Strip and the fact that Canter's is open 24 hours, brought a lot of music people in here LATE night...

Also click on the link to "Kibitz Room" to get an even greater appreciation of what this place is...Canter's is no ordinary delicatessen...

Canter's is a lot of fun; I just wish the food was a little better. Same goes for Nate 'n Al's up in BH - seems like you always recognize "what the hell was his name again??" there. I assume Larry King is still a daily regular, but I've also seen lots of other Hollywood types noshing there, usually "of a certain age," if you get my meaning. Go for the salami and eggs, or the latkes. The matzo ball soup is meh.

Thank you all so much for all that info. I was on the website for tickets and they only go up to about 2 months at a time so I will have to wait a bit and see what I can get. I love all the info about the places to eat also. You are all great for giving me all that info. Thanks again.

We once went to the Wood Ranch near us' date=' but felt the meat was too dry. Maybe it's better at the one Steve mentioned.[/quote']

Patty,

I'm not sure what you ordered...

My wife was born and raised in South Central Nebraska...raised on steak...and she loves it...

In fact, for my late father-in-law, who was born and raised in Roscoe, South Dakota and lived most of his life in Nebraska before retiring to Southern California, Wood Ranch was his favorite...

Wood Ranch started out our way--the original was in Moorpark but soon after, they opened up in Agoura Hills...Rick Caruso started eating there when he was developing his shopping Centers in Westlake and Calabasas...and he brought them to The Grove when he developed that...and they sort of grew from there...