Malaysia Enrich frequent flyer

Thecat123

We are flying from NZ to London return with Malaysia Airlines business class so have applied for Malaysia Airlines Enrich frequent flyer card which is free so we can get some points

Just been told we are probually better off getting Qantas frequent flyer card, $50, both are Oneworld as we could use that for travel in NZ or going over to Australia as the Enrich card might not work for local travel

Any ideas?

I will preface this by saying that I know very little about either program. However, I would likely choose Qantas. While you wouldn't be able to use Qantas miles within New Zealand, you could certainly get yourself across the Tasman to Australia and onward from there (I'm still very, very disappointed that Qantas stopped their AKL-LAX flight).

The only question is if you would get full Qantas miles for the Malaysia flight. And for this, I recommend either visiting https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/partners/airline/malaysia-airlines#earning-points or getting in touch with Qantas. Give them your route and fare code, and they can advise about your earnings.

I know absolutely nothing about using Malaysia points to fly Qantas, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Two redemption tables that might be of interest -

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/enrich/enrich-oneworld/redeem-with-oneworld-and-partner-airlines.html

https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/flying/using-points-awards-upgrades#qantas

You can use any Oneworld member's miles/points to fly on any other member's flights, and also some non-member's (such as Air Tahiti). Redemption rates vary across the map.

Your route (assuming AKL-KUL-LHR-KUL-AKL) in business class will earn you around 30,000 points in either program (24,000 flown miles plus a 25% bonus for business class) so you can use the tables, along with a guess as to how many points you might earn through credit card spending, to see what you might be able to manage with future awards. On the surface, it looks like Qantas is a much better deal, even with the membership fee, but it merits a little more research on your part.

Two redemption tables that might be of interest -

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/enrich/enrich-oneworld/redeem-with-oneworld-and-partner-airlines.html

https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/flying/using-points-awards-upgrades#qantas

You can use any Oneworld member's miles/points to fly on any other member's flights, and also some non-member's (such as Air Tahiti). Redemption rates vary across the map.

Your route (assuming AKL-KUL-LHR-KUL-AKL) in business class will earn you around 30,000 points in either program (24,000 flown miles plus a 25% bonus for business class) so you can use the tables, along with a guess as to how many points you might earn through credit card spending, to see what you might be able to manage with future awards. On the surface, it looks like Qantas is a much better deal, even with the membership fee, but it merits a little more research on your part.

Thanks for that I now know its worth further research

My TA tried to find out but ended up sitting on hold for ever

In the past we have always flown with our AIRNZ and their partners but Malaysia Airlines price was very hard to beat. We are also flying onto Copenhagen with British Airways and back to London as part of this trip

Thanks for that I now know its worth further research

My TA tried to find out but ended up sitting on hold for ever

In the past we have always flown with our AIRNZ and their partners but Malaysia Airlines price was very hard to beat. We are also flying onto Copenhagen with British Airways and back to London as part of this trip

Actually then I'd probably sign up for British Airways' program instead of either Qantas' or Malaysia's. You'd earn around 32,000 BA Avios (miles) for the trip, roughly the same as with either the Malaysia or Qantas programs. However, a one-way ticket from, say, Auckland to Sydney costs only 10,000 BA Avios vs. 18,000 Qantas points; or in business class 20,000 Avios, barely more than economy using Qantas points.

Edited by Gardyloo

Actually then I'd probably sign up for British Airways' program instead of either Qantas' or Malaysia's.
Thecat123 might need to be careful about this. I think that they can't join BAEC using an Australian, New Zealand or South West Pacific address. BAEC has publicly said that an accommodation address in another region would be acceptable, but anyone joining on that basis needs to be aware of that.

Thecat123 might need to be careful about this. I think that they can't join BAEC using an Australian, New Zealand or South West Pacific address. BAEC has publicly said that an accommodation address in another region would be acceptable, but anyone joining on that basis needs to be aware of that.
Yes, I forgot about that silliness from BA. It's a holdover from when BA and Qantas were much chummier than they are now. (Partnering with Emirates, oh the horror...)

For the OP, you could use a relative's non-Oz/NZ address to join BAEC (many have) or have a look at the American Airlines AAdvantage program. AA is not as "cheap" across the Tasman as using BA Avios, but AA partners with Air Tahiti and Fijian Airlines, useful from NZ in the south Pacific, and is generally regarded as one of the best FF plans going.

Nothing is as easy as it seems does it? :)

I will get hold of my TA again and see what he reckons

Thanks for the ideas though

Still got until July to get it sorted

Okay, but be advised that TAs generally have NO IDEA about frequent flyer plans; it's not in their interest to know about "free" flights that don't earn them commissions.

Understand this - your trip to Europe offers you the chance to get several free flights later within NZ or elsewhere. This is worth paying attention to, unless the prospect of leaving several hundred dollars' of value sitting on the table doesn't bother you.

Okay, but be advised that TAs generally have NO IDEA about frequent flyer plans; it's not in their interest to know about "free" flights that don't earn them commissions.

Understand this - your trip to Europe offers you the chance to get several free flights later within NZ or elsewhere. This is worth paying attention to, unless the prospect of leaving several hundred dollars' of value sitting on the table doesn't bother you.

My TA is very good and looks after us, he got us upgraded to business class from London to Copenhagen and back at no extra cost, and I book flights on line if using air points to be fair. He gets the hotels

Seeing we are doing a lot of expensive flying with an airline that isn't Star Alliance I reckon I should get something in return hence my enquires re getting points out of this trip which I can use :)

Many thanks for your help

Yes, I forgot about that silliness from BA. It's a holdover from when BA and Qantas were much chummier than they are now.
I don't think it's fair to describe it as "silliness". All the noises from BA (in the context of the work being done on the LHR-SYD route) suggest that it would dearly love to be able to get rid of the restriction if it could, but it can't.

However, it is frustrating for anyone caught by it.

I joined Qantas as they have free membership for us Kiwis at the moment :)

I was thinking by the time I paid their $50 joining fee I could have got just half way across the Tasman

We haven't really been flying enough to get any decent points

Thanks for the ideas

Edited by Thecat123