Oceania regulars with experience on Uniworld Europe or Egypt?

alaala

They didn't match Oceania's food, but we found them better than Uniworld and with more options. There was an Intalian restaurant and everyone was guaranteed 1 reservation there.

You didn't ask, but they put on a very funny and clever crew show the next to the last night.

Our 2012 cruise with them the food was mainly bad

it was not all inclusive then

I found the special restaurant food to be up there with O

We stayed onboard a couple of nights when others were off on excursions ...they did arrange for the few left to dine upstairs & the food was excellent at those times

Yes the crew show was great

We did not have a problem with anything other than the crappy food ;)

Put DH off river cruising

We took advantage of a last minute Viking deal last summer and did the Viking Grand European. The overall experience was good but food quality and quantity was not very good. I've researched other River cruise experiences and I would probably try Uniworld if we do another. I would not expect Oceania caliber food on any of the river boat lines, there is not as much scratch cooking and baking.

We have done three Viking cruises over about 10 years -- Amsterdam-Basel on NEPTUNE in 2003, a China cruise on a much newer ship in 2008, and a B2B in France on NEPTUNE and an identical sister ship in 2012. We found the food very good in general (no, not in the Oceania class) but we never had a problem with quantity.

And did you take a look at the galley on these older river boats? There's room for maybe two people to turn around, so it would be impossible to compare to an ocean-going cruiseship in terms of what is made on board.

Mura

We have done three Viking cruises over about 10 years -- Amsterdam-Basel on NEPTUNE in 2003, a China cruise on a much newer ship in 2008, and a B2B in France on NEPTUNE and an identical sister ship in 2012. We found the food very good in general (no, not in the Oceania class) but we never had a problem with quantity.

And did you take a look at the galley on these older river boats? There's room for maybe two people to turn around, so it would be impossible to compare to an ocean-going cruiseship in terms of what is made on board.

Mura

We were on a New Viking longship, it was lovely and the only complaint I had was insufficient seating in the lounge. Included tours were pretty good, all activities were well organized.

Food quantity was an issue , more than once the kitchen ran out of the meat entree and some tables did not get what they ordered. The German roast beef was delicious but they didn't have enough. Portions were skimpy. There was a single small roll and an even smaller appetizer at each place setting. Side dish choices were very limited, you could not get a basic baked potato or rice. Salads were small.

We toured the kitchen one night, it has been enlarged but it is still small by ocean standards.

Obviously the boats we were on are much older than the new longships. I can't swear they never ran out of entrees -- but if they did I was unaware.

Still, it must be very difficult to calculate how many servings of each course will be needed. Rather like not overselling your cruise ship or airline ...

Mura

have only been on Oceana one time but Uniworld a bunch. Great company and trips for singles I would think because you get to know everyone on the ship quickly. They do a wonderful job making you feel taken care of. The food is wonderful - breakfast and lunch beautiful buffets and dinner a wonderful sit down affair. Been on 9 different lines -still my favorite!!!

have only been on Oceana one time but Uniworld a bunch.

Do all the cabins on Uniworld look like a flower centre threw up in them??

Saw some photos of their cabins & I would feel sick if I had to stay in there:eek:

I think any ship with less than 200 passengers the staff are going to get to know you & your names

JMO