Ship capacity question - Breakaway

Inishmore

Everything I read says the Breakaway's passenger capacity is 4000 people (double occupancy). I would imagine that many rooms have more than double occupancy. Does that mean that we may actually sail with more than 4000 passengers, or does NCL limit the passenger occupancy to 4000? :confused:

Thanks!

No the number is correct give or take a couple. Room capacity is on a first come first serve basis and is based on the capacity of the life boats within that area.

So once that area is sold out whether being filled by 3/3 or 4 people it becomes sold out.Ships most always sail full.

Everything I read says the Breakaway's passenger capacity is 4000 people (double occupancy). I would imagine that many rooms have more than double occupancy. Does that mean that we may actually sail with more than 4000 passengers, or does NCL limit the passenger occupancy to 4000? :confused:

Thanks!

Yes, you are likely to sail with closer to 4,200 passengers if the ship is at full capacity. To your point, the listed capacity of ~4,000 is double occupancy, not full capacity, since many cabins hold more than 2 people.

Recently, I read the rough pax count on the BA was 4,200 and ship wasn't considered full with some empty cabins. Last year, I recall our BA sailing with numbers closer to 4,500 as being full tool - we will ask the Q next week at the M&G with the BA senior officers (HD director) - a good # of cabins have triple occupancies and of course, quads - the Havens with 2 BR's are far fewer - would be interesting to know what the max. lifeboat capacity are certified for, including crew members.

Edit - found the unofficial answer (per CC's urban legends) - link (post #15) - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1915867&highlight=ncl+breakaway+maximum+capacity

Capacity is 5,200 so BA often sail during holidays & breaks with children, somewhere between 4,500 and 4,800 as fairly routine - ours in 2014 didn't "feel" crowded.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks!

There are two capacities. Double occupancy (the figure normally quoted) and maximum capacity. As stated, BA's normal occupancy is 4000, while her maximum capacity is 5200. The maximum capacity is based on lifeboat capacity, and is a hard ceiling. There are actually more berths available than 5200, but when the ship starts to reach the maximum, they will start to restrict of deny booking of 3rd/4th guests in cabins that can hold them. Their goal is to fill all cabins double occupancy, rather than have some cabins empty and allow more 3rd/4th guests in some cabins, since 3rd/4th pay less. So, even at maximum capacity, there will be empty beds onboard. This is done to allow flexibility in booking 3rd/4th guests in a variety of cabin types.

If you are on Board the Breakaway, look for the posting of the ships licenses. normally posted on the same deck as the Bridge in a public area near the forward elevator. There will be a US Coast Guard license posted that will show the full full capacity, not just the lower two capacity. It will be about 120-130% of the lower two and will also list the maximum amount of crew. Many times the passenger max includes the entertainers who are housed in passenger cabins. While it is rare to be at the Max Max, ships normally sail over the 100% lower two capacity and average about 108% overall.

Edited by smeyer418

If you are on Board the Breakaway, look for the posting of the ships licenses. normally posted on the same deck as the Bridge in a public area near the forward elevator. There will be a US Coast Guard license posted that will show the full full capacity, not just the lower two capacity. It will be about 120-130% of the lower two and will also list the maximum amount of crew. Many times the passenger max includes the entertainers who are housed in passenger cabins. While it is rare to be at the Max Max, ships normally sail over the 100% lower two capacity and average about 108% overall.

I believe you are referring to the Document of Inspection, rather than a license, and that would be issued by the Bahamas Maritime Authority, not the USCG.

when I sailed on BA to Bahamas on 1st week of march, it was spring break for kids in Canada and a lot came on the BA.

in one of those Q&A sessions w/ships crew, a senior ship officer said ship capacity is 4900 and there were around 4700 passengers that week.

I should have asked how many were ages 5-17 because there were ALOT.