My Recent Vacation Aboard The Carnival Ecstasy

On my last Carnival Cruise my power strip was removed from the room and I could not have it until the last day. It was a fire hazard. Just a word of caution. You might do better with an extension cord

Wow, I have never experienced that or heard of that happening to any other cruiser. Thank you for the warning DrAKA.

Also for all those who are interested I am currently working on Part 2 of Day 1 entry of my review. I hope to have it up tonight!

On my last Carnival Cruise my power strip was removed from the room and I could not have it until the last day. It was a fire hazard. Just a word of caution. You might do better with an extension cord

Thanks for the warning. I was told either an extension cord or a power strip still in its original packaging would avoid confiscation from the cruise line.

Sorry for the delay in posting the next update but my internet connection refused to cooperate last night and this morning. The new post is complete and talks about the sail away party, dinner, comedy, and more. Hopefully this evening my internet issues will be taken care of and I can get Part 2 of Day 1 on the Ecstasy posted for you guys. Thanks for your patience.

March 6, 2015

Part 2:

As we sat in the shade on the upper deck of the pool area more passengers began to join the fun as the crew in charge of entertainment aboard began to get the party started. Everyone was eager to start their vacation especially the group of guys celebrating a bachelor party who seemed like they were continuing a nonstop party that started a few days before. Carnival employees began to call people to the dance floor where the DJ began to play the cupid shuffle and the wobble. If you've ever been to a party where these two songs are played then you know people just can’t stay in their seats for long.

We decided to leave our perch and join in the party. We danced for a while as the DJ played a mix of pop, hip-hop, Latin, and reggae music. My girlfriend danced until she worked up a thirst so we headed to the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar where she got a Chipotle Pineapple Passion Margarita.

dcf121c2-831f-4ade-bffd-b3f6344ef797.png

7e01f77c-d1cd-4e2f-a3e5-e6ef6cb5ea31.png

I stopped by the Red Frog Rum Bar and got a Frog Island Iced Tea. We decided to grab another bite to eat from the Panorama Bar and Grill. I had a chili cheese dog, fries, and chicken tenders. Once we finished our food we headed back to our cabin to finish unpacking and rest a bit before the free liquor tasting and dinner.

Photo20Mar20072052040203220PM.jpg

After a couple hours of lying around the cabin, we got ready to head out and enjoy our first night on the ship.

2015-03-062018.54.10.jpg

We initially headed to the Fun Shops area of the ship (Deck 8, Aft). Needless to say the line was pretty long so we decided to go to dinner. We were on your time dining which was perfect for us because it allowed us to plan dinner around the activities we did each day instead of the other way around. We made our way to the Wind Star dining room and we were quickly seated at a table for two which we requested. The wait staff was prompt and the food was excellent. I had the duck as an appetizer and on the waiter’s recommendation the brisket, mashed potatoes and gravy, and mixed vegetable as my entrée. We ate a fair amount throughout the day so we decided to skip dessert.

2015-03-062020.17.54.jpg

2015-03-062020.27.20.jpg

After dinner we decided to try our luck again at free liquor tasting again. This time we had better luck. After maneuvering through a drunken group of ladies who were aboard for a bachelorette celebration (there were several bachelor/bachelorette parties going on) we made our way to the front of the line to pick the spirits we wanted to try. Each person was able to sample 2. I tried the Cherry Bacardi Rum and Orange Grey Goose. Both were pretty good even though I do not prefer flavored liquor. As a heads up to first time cruisers, when you go to events that are held in the Fun Shops the Carnival sales team will be out there almost hounding you to try to purchase something. What’s worse (for me at least) was that the deals on a lot of the items (watches & liquors) make you really, really consider buying something. I ended up buying a bottle of Hennessy Pure White Cognac (side note: this was a gift for my sister that I promised I would get for her and had already budgeted for).

Our next stop was the Society Bar (Deck 9, Aft) to try Master the Martini. Master the Martini lets you sample 4 different flavored martinis of your choice for just $17. Check your Fun Times to find out the times it is available. The martinis were great. There are 8 flavors to choose from. I had the Caribbean Sunset, Florida Squeeze, Pomegranate Breeze, and Spicy Chipotle. The hands down best of them all was the Spicy Chipotle. I recommend it to everyone that decides to try Master the Martini. As a gift we both got a copy of the Master the Martini menus so that we can make the martinis at home and a martini glass charm as a keepsake.

3c1e4725-b94e-497d-a165-0a2d1dd311ed.jpg

f9f13a7a-b99d-4162-9c3c-98d15efd714f.jpg

After the Society Bar we headed to the Blue Sapphire Lounge for the Motown Show. Both my girlfriend and I grew up in families that listened to a large part of the Motown catalog so we were excited to see this show and it did not disappoint at all. Before the show started, our cruise director, James, got things going by interacting with the audience and even calling some of them up on stage, telling jokes, singing and dancing.

Shortly afterwards the show started. The songs were performed by two quartets (1 female & 1 male). They ran through a slew of Motown hits as we sang along to every single song. I would honestly go see the show again on a future cruise.

At the close of the show, they performers invite the crowd to join the in the Atrium Plaza (Deck 7) to continue the party. James came back to get the party going and he had everyone do a bunch of hilarious dances he made up, sing, and even conga. There were people on the three above decks joining in the singing and dancing. Everyone seemed to be greatly enjoying themselves.

We snuck away from the party in the Atrium to head to the Punchliner Comedy Club (Deck 9, aft) to catch the last show of the night. The comedian was Percy Crews 2. He has been seen on nationally televised comedy show and has been seen with some of the tops stars in comedy. His show was hilarious to me and it seemed like to everyone else in the room. As a word of warning, if you are uncomfortable with very strong adult content including sex and race then you may want to skip the adult comedy shows and stick to the family shows.

Photo20Mar20112092008205620PM.jpg

When we were walking into the Punchliner before the show started, we saw Percy standing outside the door with the most serious, focused look on his face that I have ever seen on a cruise ship. I thought I recognized his face but paid it no mind and my girlfriend didn’t know who he was. He looked like someone you definitely didn’t want to mess with but I assume it’s just how he gets into his zone.

Something that he does that I really respect is that he acknowledges both his parents who are deceased at the end of each of his shows for making him the man he is today. He hugs himself as a nod to his mom who he said had the best hugs in the world and could basically take away any pain and solve any problem (I’m paraphrasing) and he salutes as a nod to his father who served in the US military and fought in the Korean War. After the show, Percy was available to talk to and for pictures. He turned to be a very cool guy.

When they show is over they invited everybody to the after party in the Stripes Nigh Club, which was already going full steam and would be going until about 4:00am. We headed in the club to enjoy some music and dance for a little bit. The DJ played the usual mix of pop, hip hop, Latin, and reggae music. We enjoyed our time in the club and decided to head back to our cabin and call it a night around 2:30am.

2015-03-062022.00.59.jpg

Coming Soon: Day 2 of the Cruise in Nassau

2015-03-072017.20.29.jpg

Please tell your friends, family, coworkers, and any one else you know that's interested in cruising to check out my review, subscribe,and join in the conversation!

The cherry bacardi rum sounds so good. Thanks for the tip about getting hounded to buy. I will keep that in mind if I do a free tasting. Lol. Was the cost of the liquor less that what you would pay for in the store?

Edited by ifashiongeek

The cherry bacardi rum sounds so good. Thanks for the tip about getting hounded to buy. I will keep that in mind if I do a free tasting. Lol. Was the cost of the liquor less that what you would pay for in the store?

Some of the liquor cost less than you would find in the stores in America but in my opinion the best part about the liquor for sell on the ship is that you can find huge bottles of liquor for pretty good prices that they don't sell in the US as well as rare types of liquor that you rarely ever see.

Edited by SpaceAgeGentleman

I'm very glad you are enjoying reading about our experience and thank you for the compliment. I absolutely adore her.

Great review....so much fun to get everyone's Florida vacation details as well as ship details...and my niece just told me about this Uber she uses in Phoenix...I was not in that loop...and have never stayed in Miami.....look forward to it and thanks so much....I love also people enjoying the Fantasy class and I like the deck you were on too...thanks for the major effort and great to get a fun review... all from a cruise counselor.

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Great review....so much fun to get everyone's Florida vacation details as well as ship details...and my niece just told me about this Uber she uses in Phoenix...I was not in that loop...and have never stayed in Miami.....look forward to it and thanks so much....I love also people enjoying the Fantasy class and I like the deck you were on too...thanks for the major effort and great to get a fun review... all from a cruise counselor.

Sarah

I appreciate you taking the time out to read my review. Uber is a great way to save money getting around versus taking a taxi. I think you can have an excellent time on older, smaller ships as long as you tailor you expectations to the ship you're on. Don't book a cruise on the Ecstasy and then complain about it lacking the amenities of a new ship especially when you can fully research each ship beforehand. In my opinion, traveling is about the experience of visiting new countries and cultures and meeting new people more so than the amenities aboard. If you have any cruising questions about I'm happy to help.

I appreciate you taking the time out to read my review. Uber is a great way to save money getting around versus taking a taxi. I think you can have an excellent time on older, smaller ships as long as you tailor you expectations to the ship you're on. Don't book a cruise on the Ecstasy and then complain about it lacking the amenities of a new ship especially when you can fully research each ship beforehand. In my opinion, traveling is about the experience of visiting new countries and cultures and meeting new people more so than the amenities aboard. If you have any cruising questions about I'm happy to help.

Thanks and agree...people who need all bells and whistles...no..but they do offer so much depending on what looking for....

I love they had the new Martini things and all that you reported....their version of Alchemy..I was reading and excited about cruising when they did come out...LOL..and so enjoyed Paradise ..first Carnival cruise in 2009...any way thanks again....Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Thanks for the review so far! I'm paying close attention because I'm cruising this same ship, but to Cozumel, the week of July 4. There's going to be 18 of us :eek: seniors, adults, couple of teens, and kids. This is my first multi-day cruise, as I've only done the 1 day or cruise to nowhere. Hopefully, it's not too different from what you're describing. I've been researching everything Carnival/Ecstasy for a couple of months now. It seems like most of the negative reviews that I've seen about the ship/cruise are from people going to the Bahamas versus Cozumel. Although it's the same ship, what would the difference be? Does the staff change from cruise to cruise? And, did you feel like the ship was crowded?

THIS! I've only been on one cruise and have two more coming up, but I've already realized that I'm the type of person who cruises for the ports and cultures rather than the ship. My first cruise was on the Conquest and my second one will be as well. I didn't mean to book a cruise on the same ship my second time, but I booked for the itinerary and the experiences I could have at the ports rather than the ship. Maybe that will change as I continue to cruise (which I plan on doing) but for now, the ship and her amenities aren't in the front of my mind. As long as it has the basics and I research and know what to expect, I'm good.

Anyway, enjoying your review and looking forward to reading more!

I am anxious to read the rest of your review and see if you mention the Ectasy taking part in the search for the man who went overboard on the Carnival Glory on March 8. I was on the Glory and we saw your ship when we returned to the area where the accident happened. The Captain announced that the Ectasy was taking part in the search and in fact, was required to stay at the site even once the Glory was released by the Coast Guard.

Just wondering how this impacted your cruise.

Thanks for the review so far! I'm paying close attention because I'm cruising this same ship, but to Cozumel, the week of July 4. There's going to be 18 of us :eek: seniors, adults, couple of teens, and kids. This is my first multi-day cruise, as I've only done the 1 day or cruise to nowhere. Hopefully, it's not too different from what you're describing. I've been researching everything Carnival/Ecstasy for a couple of months now. It seems like most of the negative reviews that I've seen about the ship/cruise are from people going to the Bahamas versus Cozumel. Although it's the same ship, what would the difference be? Does the staff change from cruise to cruise? And, did you feel like the ship was crowded?

The ship never felt crowded at anytime to me. We never had more than a 3 minute wait for dinner, never took long to get a drink at any bar, lines at the buffet moved quickly, even getting on and off the ship didn't take long once our number was called.

My girlfriend and I had a great time and would go on the Ecstasy again on any itinerary it was on.

I am anxious to read the rest of your review and see if you mention the Ectasy taking part in the search for the man who went overboard on the Carnival Glory on March 8. I was on the Glory and we saw your ship when we returned to the area where the accident happened. The Captain announced that the Ectasy was taking part in the search and in fact, was required to stay at the site even once the Glory was released by the Coast Guard.

Just wondering how this impacted your cruise.

That is definitely going to be mentioned. Very sad anytime there is a tragedy when everyone is there to have fun and enjoy life.