What's Going On Here?

Quench

that is just "the free" UBP or UDP everybody is getting, is not free at all, people are just paying it ahead in a different ways, all thanks to the new CEO. plus the $4 or 5 dollars he said he wanted to get extra per day per person. prices are gonna go up, up and up. welcome to the new NCL.

Edited by teseo

Theres a good thread on how the prices are calculated and your not prepaying for the promotion. I added the promotion to my current reservation and it cost my hardly anything,and then the price dropped $600 while the promo was still going on...And the CEO that made the comment of what would it take someone to cruise on our ships versus someone elses if we were $4 more a day.. is no longer the CEO of NCL

Prices are based of how the ship is selling compared to how they have sold that same time of year in the previous year/years. So if the ship is selling really well the prices will stay up, if the ship is running behind prices will drop after the final payments were due and then again a little later once the cost of canceling and re-booking gets higher...and thats if the ship isnt selling well in the lower categories. A promo will come into play if they feel its going to up the sales then the prices might increase or the promo will prevent the prices from dropping.

Theres a good thread on how the prices are calculated and your not prepaying for the promotion. I added the promotion to my current reservation and it cost my hardly anything,and then the price dropped $600 while the promo was still going on...And the CEO that made the comment of what would it take someone to cruise on our ships versus someone elses if we were $4 more a day.. is no longer the CEO of NCL

Del Rio is gone already?

you probably right in almost everything you said, but the NEW CEO MR. DEL RIO is the one that said what i mentioned about the $3-5. here is copy of the article:

Del Rio: The industry has been fixated that the only lever it has to stimulate demand are lower prices. We think it's a losing proposition over the long term and short term. One thing that has worked well at the Prestige brands, and which we are testing at the Norwegian brand, is the idea of the deal.

I'm not asking for the moon, but an extra $3 or $4 per person. There are two people per room, for a seven-day cruise that is an extra $50. Can I get $50 from you and your wife to come aboard my ships versus someone else's ships, and how do I get you to do that? I think I have a lot of different levers to pull.

and copy of the linkf gfor the full article and the post on CC.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13054496/3/how-norwegian-cruise-lines-new-ceo-plans-to-shake-up-the-cruise-industry.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2173532

that is just "the free" UBP or UDP everybody is getting, is not free at all,

How do you know that? Did the OP say when they booked the cruise? Maybe they booked it during the promo of the free UBP or UDP, Etc.

FYI - I booked a cruise prior to all these promos.....and my price hasn't gone up at all - so in fact, I called to add the promos. Had my price gone up I wouldn't have done it.

Harriet

I think it is supply and demand, but I agree that for the cruises I look at, prices are much higher than a year ago. At the same time last year (Feb) my cruise on the Getaway over Easter in 2 midship adjoining balconies, with free udp, was about 750/pp 2 people in a cabin, before taxes and port fees. This year at the same time it was over $1000/pp for the same ship, same week, same cabin, etc.

I can't remember the exact cost, but I paid $1200 or $1400 for my half of an ocean view on the Seaward circa 1990. No exotic itinerary -- Western Caribbean. It's possible that included airfare... but airfare to Florida from Massachusetts was not more than a couple hundred dollars at the time.

That was almost 25 years ago. Every time I read about how greedy CEOs are pricing the little guy out of cruising, I wonder how so many people are under the impression that it's more expensive now.

that is just "the free" UBP or UDP everybody is getting, is not free at all, people are just paying it ahead in a different ways, all thanks to the new CEO. plus the $4 or 5 dollars he said he wanted to get extra per day per person. prices are gonna go up, up and up. welcome to the new NCL.

Sorry, I disagree with you; I may be wrong but I see it more as supply and demand. If the ship is close to sold out, the new price will be acceptable for many. Actually the original price the OP got was a steal for Alaska. and as for the extra per day, per person you know what? He has a point. Think of the profit for the company and think of how $50 would hurt any of us cruising? If it does hurt, we probably should either find a new way to vacation or chooe a lower catagory of cabins.

If the market can't handle new rates the line will start dropping them, they will stay competitive.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Supply....meet.....demand.

This.

My 2015 Alaska trip (May 7th on the Pearl - 10 days) dropped in price by over $2000 while the UDP/UBP/OBC promotion was running. I got a free UBP AND a $1900 cash refund AND a two category upgrade to my cabin - in January. I suspect there was also a reduced "single supplement" during that time, though I didn't check prices for a 2-person booking.

The upgraded cabin right now is only $100 higher than my booking price - hardly enough to cover any of the possible bonuses under the current promotion.

Its exactly supply and demand and how the ship is selling.

I dont really follow the CEO's of NCL but I read that the CEO that took over was out already. People that knew all the NCL executives names were saying who from NCL got promoted into the new spot. It was 2-3 weeks ago Im guessing.

Its exactly supply and demand and how the ship is selling.

I dont really follow the CEO's of NCL but I read that the CEO that took over was out already. People that knew all the NCL executives names were saying who from NCL got promoted into the new spot. It was 2-3 weeks ago Im guessing.

That was the COO and President of NCl, which now is Andrew Stuart. the CEO and President of NCL Holdings is Frank Del Rio.

http://www.ncl.com/about/leadership-team

That was the COO and President of NCl, which now is Andrew Stuart. the CEO and President of NCL Holdings is Frank Del Rio.

http://www.ncl.com/about/leadership-team

Correct. NCLH is the overall holding company for NCL, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas. Frank Del Rio is President and CEO of the holding company, and therefore the overall boss. Jason Montague is President of both Oceania and Regent. Andy Stuart was recently appointed to President of NCL by Frank Del Rio, replacing Drew Madsen, the short-lived NCL President and former Darden Restaurants leader.

Darden owns Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse, among others, and sold Red Lobster in 2014. That sale was controversial and led to a housecleaning of Darden's board, which most likely led to Madsen's leaving Darden. Madsen was appointed by Kevin Sheehan. The appointment was controversial.