Singapore to Ottawa (Canada)

Iluvcruising2

I may have to travel to Ottawa for business.

Wondering what is the best way to get there, from Singapore. I am not familiar with airlines that fly to Canada, especially Ottawa.

Preferably I would like to fly most of the route on Singapore Airlines.

Appreciate any ideas or advice. Thanks.

Wondering what is the best way to get there, from Singapore. I am not familiar with airlines that fly to Canada, especially Ottawa.

SIN to SFO (usually through HKG) and then connect for Air Canada, United, or any number of other carriers. Probably through YYZ to YOW.

Fortunately for you, Air Canada and Singapore Airlines are Star Alliance partners, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find an itinerary combining the 2. As well as trans-Pacific routings, look at going via Europe - there are non-stop AC flights to YOW from both FRA and LHR.

Is "best" the cheapest, or is "best" the easiest, or is "best" the quickest, or is "best" the one where you get the most miles? And, what class - business, economy?

You really have two options - going through Europe, or going across the Pacific. Going through Europe actually tends to be a bit shorter, mileage wise. One option, considering many people find going west easier for jet lag, is to go there via Europe and come back via the Pacific, so you end up doing an around-the-world flight westward (which would be much better than doing one eastward, which practically killed me a few years ago when I unexpectedly did Kansas City to Chicago to London to Dubai to Hong Kong to Tokyo to Chicago to Kansas City).

Here are some options for going via Europe (I haven't done any research on timings, just routes I know exist on Star Alliance partners):

• SIN-Frankfurt-Toronto (or Montreal)-Ottawa (I believe there is a seasonal nonstop Frankfurt-Ottawa, but not sure what season) on a combo of SQ and Air Canada or SQ/Air Canada/Lufthansa. Also, can just fly in to Montreal or Toronto and drive from there (just a couple hours)
  • SIN-London-Ottawa on a combo of SQ and Air Canada (their London-Ottawa flight is year-round)

And here are some options via the Pacific:

• SIN-Tokyo (or Hong Kong)-Chicago-Ottawa (SQ/United/ANA/Air Canada)
  • SIN-Tokyo (or Hong Kong)-Toronto-Ottawa

I will say that I would highly recommend avoding the USA if possible. One cannot simply transit the USA like they can in many other countries - you'll need to clear immigration and customs, even if you are connecting from Singapore to Canada and have no intention to stay in the US. With Singapore being a visa waiver country, you would not need a visa (assuming you are a Singaporean citizen), but still not worth it in my opinion.

Many thanks for the very quick responses and useful ideas.

Good point about avoiding the USA. Perhaps I should do that.

Trip will be on Business class.

It does sound like the Singapore-LHR-Ottawa combination is the most ideal for me in terms of getting to Ottawa. Just one layover at LHR instead of multiple layovers.

Flying home from Ottawa to Singapore via the Pacific sounds like a very interesting idea too. I will explore this further.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

It does sound like the Singapore-LHR-Ottawa combination is the most ideal for me in terms of getting to Ottawa. Just one layover at LHR instead of multiple layovers.

Flying home from Ottawa to Singapore via the Pacific sounds like a very interesting idea too. I will explore this further.

LHR might not be the best option. It's an incredibly HUGE airport and you will likely need to change terminals. Is there a FRA option?

LHR might not be the best option. It's an incredibly HUGE airport and you will likely need to change terminals. Is there a FRA option?

There is a FRA option, but given that both SQ and AC are listed as using T2 at LHR, I wouldn't discount flying thru there. For all its size, I've always found LHR to be quite efficient.

Another option would be flying SQ to IST, then TK via either YYZ or (my preference) YUL, connecting to an AC flight to YOW. One extra flight, but access to the awesome TK business lounge at IST.

Singapore to Air Canada transit would all be T2 in LHR. T2 is less than a year old and looks quite nice.

Edited by Zach1213

I think that as suggested SIN-LHR-YOW or SIN-FRA-YOW are your easiest options. The FRA flight was decreased to a seasonal flight this past year but it resumes March 28 for the summer so SIN-LHR-YOW may be your best option depending when you are traveling. The LHR-YOW flight was 6 days a week but is now daily because of FRA being reduced but you will need to verify. You would clear customs/immigration in Ottawa.The good news is that these flights arrive in the middle of the afternoon.

Flying into Toronto or Montreal means that you would have to collect your luggage, clear customs and immigration, put your luggage on the "Ottawa" conveyor belt and then collect it again when you arrive in Ottawa.

I think that as suggested SIN-LHR-YOW or SIN-FRA-YOW are your easiest options. The FRA flight was decreased to a seasonal flight this past year but it resumes March 28 for the summer so SIN-LHR-YOW may be your best option depending when you are traveling. The LHR-YOW flight was 6 days a week but is now daily because of FRA being reduced but you will need to verify. You would clear customs/immigration in Ottawa.The good news is that these flights arrive in the middle of the afternoon.

Flying into Toronto or Montreal means that you would have to collect your luggage, clear customs and immigration, put your luggage on the "Ottawa" conveyor belt and then collect it again when you arrive in Ottawa.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am looking at SIN-LHR-YOW or SIN-FRA-YOW.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am looking at SIN-LHR-YOW or SIN-FRA-YOW.

Looks like SQ operates both the A380 and 777-300 on both LHR and FRA flights, so no difference there. And also, both FRA-YOW and LHR-YOW are/will be 767-300 routes. Frequent flier mileage wise, there's like 20 miles difference so that shouldn't be a big decision factor. LHR can be a pain at times, but staying within one (brand new) terminal helps. FRA is almost always easy. This is a toss-up to me...perhaps go off what schedule you like best or what fits the budget best.

Looks like SQ operates both the A380 and 777-300 on both LHR and FRA flights, so no difference there. And also, both FRA-YOW and LHR-YOW are/will be 767-300 routes. Frequent flier mileage wise, there's like 20 miles difference so that shouldn't be a big decision factor. LHR can be a pain at times, but staying within one (brand new) terminal helps. FRA is almost always easy. This is a toss-up to me...perhaps go off what schedule you like best or what fits the budget best.

Thanks. Yes, I will have to see which one best fits my schedule.

I would probably fly SIN-IST-YYZ/YUL-YOW. The other option is just fly to YUL and drive the last 150km to Ottawa, it's probably just as fast as connecting.

it makes very little difference in distance if you fly trans-pacific or trans-atlantic to get to Ottawa

SIN-NRT-YYZ-YOW 9965 mi

SIN-LHR-YOW 10096 mi

SIN-FRA-YOW 10119 mi

SIN-NRT-YVR-YOW 10211 mi

SIN-IST-YUL-YOW 10287 mi

SIN-LAX-YYZ-YOW 11171 mi

No idea of your timing, your cost sensitivity, or anything like that, but just pricing SIN-xFRA-YOW return or SIN-xLHR-YOW return using SQ for the first/last segment in business class comes to around USD10-11K. Maybe you can get a better price, but just for comparison's sake, I looked at a "Circle Pacific" ticket that requires one direction over the Pacific be via the north Pacific - i.e. Asia - North America, and the other via the south Pacific - Australia/NZ.

From Singapore, a Oneworld Circle Pacific with 26,000 miles (so for example, SIN-HKG-ORD-YOW-ORD-LAX-SYD-SIN, using Cathay Pacific and Qantas over the Pacific, 23,830 miles) in business class is US$7700. The same type of ticket with Star Alliance, e.g. SIN-SFO-YYZ-YOW-YVR-AKL-SIN, using SQ and NZ over the water, 25,400 miles) in business class is US$9900.

However from Hong Kong (around US$700 return in business class from SIN) you could get away with a 22,000 mile Circle Pacific fare, e.g. on Oneworld, HKG-YYZ//YOW-ORD-LAX-BNE-HKG, 21,680 miles, at a cost of US$5003. Or you could stop in Singapore on the way back, which would bump the required mileage to the 26,000 mile tier, something like HKG-ORD-YOW-ORD-LAX-SYD-SIN-HKG, 23,400 miles, at a cost of US$6103.

With Star Alliance, there's no feasible itinerary that comes in at less than 22,000 miles, so there you'd have to go with the 26,000 mile product - for example HKG-YYZ-YOW-YVR-AKL-SIN-HKG, 24100 miles, at a cost of US$6528.

Like I said, no idea of your timing or price sensitivity, or if you can get a better deal through a local travel agent or company travel discounts, but at least on the surface there are some pretty big cost savings possible, at no loss in terms of comfort and convenience.

I would probably fly SIN-IST-YYZ/YUL-YOW. The other option is just fly to YUL and drive the last 150km to Ottawa, it's probably just as fast as connecting.

it makes very little difference in distance if you fly trans-pacific or trans-atlantic to get to Ottawa

SIN-NRT-YYZ-YOW 9965 mi

SIN-LHR-YOW 10096 mi

SIN-FRA-YOW 10119 mi

SIN-NRT-YVR-YOW 10211 mi

SIN-IST-YUL-YOW 10287 mi

SIN-LAX-YYZ-YOW 11171 mi

I would say that renting a car would only be worth if it OP needs a car in Ottawa. If they're, for instance, staying and working on downtown Ottawa, no need for a car, and it wouldn't be worth it to get one just for the drive between the two cities. But if OP needs a car in Ottawa, it's definitely something to look in to.

No idea of your timing, your cost sensitivity, or anything like that, but just pricing SIN-xFRA-YOW return or SIN-xLHR-YOW return using SQ for the first/last segment in business class comes to around USD10-11K. Maybe you can get a better price, but just for comparison's sake, I looked at a "Circle Pacific" ticket that requires one direction over the Pacific be via the north Pacific - i.e. Asia - North America, and the other via the south Pacific - Australia/NZ.

From Singapore, a Oneworld Circle Pacific with 26,000 miles (so for example, SIN-HKG-ORD-YOW-ORD-LAX-SYD-SIN, using Cathay Pacific and Qantas over the Pacific, 23,830 miles) in business class is US$7700. The same type of ticket with Star Alliance, e.g. SIN-SFO-YYZ-YOW-YVR-AKL-SIN, using SQ and NZ over the water, 25,400 miles) in business class is US$9900.

However from Hong Kong (around US$700 return in business class from SIN) you could get away with a 22,000 mile Circle Pacific fare, e.g. on Oneworld, HKG-YYZ//YOW-ORD-LAX-BNE-HKG, 21,680 miles, at a cost of US$5003. Or you could stop in Singapore on the way back, which would bump the required mileage to the 26,000 mile tier, something like HKG-ORD-YOW-ORD-LAX-SYD-SIN-HKG, 23,400 miles, at a cost of US$6103.

With Star Alliance, there's no feasible itinerary that comes in at less than 22,000 miles, so there you'd have to go with the 26,000 mile product - for example HKG-YYZ-YOW-YVR-AKL-SIN-HKG, 24100 miles, at a cost of US$6528.

Like I said, no idea of your timing or price sensitivity, or if you can get a better deal through a local travel agent or company travel discounts, but at least on the surface there are some pretty big cost savings possible, at no loss in terms of comfort and convenience.

Thanks for this. This is very useful information indeed.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just to clarify, why would you choose to fly SIN-IST-YYZ/YUL-YOW when there is a possible SIN-FRA-YOW or SIN-LHR-YOW? I'm looking to minimize the number of transits.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just to clarify, why would you choose to fly SIN-IST-YYZ/YUL-YOW when there is a possible SIN-FRA-YOW or SIN-LHR-YOW? I'm looking to minimize the number of transits.

'Cause of the amazing business lounge at IST. And you'll be on TK crossing the Atlantic. And the lounge.

Did I mention the lounge?? :D

Thanks for this. This is very useful information indeed.

One other product I forgot to mention. Singapore Airlines has its own round-the-world ticket that requires you fly only on Singapore or Silkair planes. Since SQ doesn't fly any internal routes in North America, you'd have to buy separate tickets to get from its Atlantic coast terminus, JFK, to Ottawa, and from Ottawa to one of SQ's Pacific coast locations, LAX or San Francisco, so that you could comply with RTW rules that you cross both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans in the same direction. So for example, the RTW ticket would go SIN-FRA-JFK, then a separate ticket JFK-YOW-LAX, then back on SQ, LAX-NRT-SIN.

The fare for the RTW ticket bought in Singapore is US$6211, and the cost of business class tickets for the North America portions would be around US$600-700, so under US$7000 all in.

If interested, have your travel agent contact SQ (or phone them yourself) and ask about their "DEZSQ" fare basis.

'Cause of the amazing business lounge at IST. And you'll be on TK crossing the Atlantic. And the lounge.

Did I mention the lounge?? :D

Thanks for the clarification. An interesting thought. So I assume Turkish Airlines is better than Air Canada in Business Class? I've not tried either airline before, hence I have no clue.

• 2 weeks later...