Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

i am so frustrated at the moment with ncl..

I am a 60 year old tired and true Disney Cruise line cruiser. Although WDW does charge a gratuity fee, I thought it was well deserved. I am going on the Pride of America in July because it was the ONLY option I had for cruising around the Hawaii islands. This is my first NCL cruise. It may be my last.

After reading all the horror stories about NCL in the last several months, I am wishing there was another option, but alas there is not.

I have paid for the UDP. I do not mind tipping, but it was my understanding that the UDP *INCLUDED* the tip in the price of the plan. If this is indeed the case, if I am charged a tip, I will remove it - if it is NOT the case, can anyone confirm that the daily gratuity fee does or does not go to my servers in a specialty restaurant? I would never leave a restaurant without tipping, and I don't want to start now.

I have prepaid my gratuity, but I can write a letter/voice my displeasure if does not.

I liken what I am reading about NCL the same as building a house with an established builder. It seems the model houses are full of upgrades. They never tell you what the upgrades are until you put a contract on getting a house built for you. I once asked my builder if they were in the market to sell houses, or in the market to sell upgrades. Sadly, the upgrades was the answer.

NCL, are you in the market to have people cruise and enjoy the cruise, or are you in the market to sell upgrades (Soda, milk shakes, etc....)? - Disney charges more, but they include more. I would GLADLY pay more (heck, my cabin was over $11K with an AARP discount for four adults as it was and I have NEVER paid that much on Disney) to not have to decide on upgrades - include them please in the bottom line price.

I have paid for the UDP. I do not mind tipping, but it was my understanding that the UDP *INCLUDED* the tip in the price of the plan. If this is indeed the case, if I am charged a tip, I will remove it - if it is NOT the case, can anyone confirm that the daily gratuity fee does or does not go to my servers in a specialty restaurant? I would never leave a restaurant without tipping, and I don't want to start now.

Since you have UDP, you will not be charged anything additional at the specialty restaurants.

I am a 60 year old tired and true Disney Cruise line cruiser. Although WDW does charge a gratuity fee, I thought it was well deserved. I am going on the Pride of America in July because it was the ONLY option I had for cruising around the Hawaii islands. This is my first NCL cruise. It may be my last.

After reading all the horror stories about NCL in the last several months, I am wishing there was another option, but alas there is not.

I have prepaid my gratuity, but I can write a letter/voice my displeasure if does not.

I liken what I am reading about NCL the same as building a house with an established builder. It seems the model houses are full of upgrades. They never tell you what the upgrades are until you put a contract on getting a house built for you. I once asked my builder if they were in the market to sell houses, or in the market to sell upgrades. Sadly, the upgrades was the answer.

NCL, are you in the market to have people cruise and enjoy the cruise, or are you in the market to sell upgrades (Soda, milk shakes, etc....)? - Disney charges more, but they include more. I would GLADLY pay more (heck, my cabin was over $11K with an AARP discount for four adults as it was and I have NEVER paid that much on Disney) to not have to decide on upgrades - include them please in the bottom line price.

After much hesitation, NCL has now confirmed that Specialty Restaurant servers are no longer included in the DSC.

nice so now i can reduce the portion of dsc which was for them...oh wait but its the same guys that are on the mdr as well and on the specialties the same night...

If you worked two jobs, you would be compensated for both of those jobs, based on time put in. I would think NCL would do the same.

After much hesitation, NCL has now confirmed that Specialty Restaurant servers are no longer included in the DSC.

thank-you.

Can I hand my server a cash tip as I leave the restaurant? Will they be able to accept it? If I do that - do they have to turn that cash into a "pot" for all to share?

thank-you.

Can I hand my server a cash tip as I leave the restaurant? Will they be able to accept it? If I do that - do they have to turn that cash into a "pot" for all to share?

You can certainly hand them a cash tip if you'd like. I can't say for certain, but I don't think it goes into any "pot", but again, I don't know. I do know NCL says it is ok to tip if you feel they went "above and beyond"

Where you have purchased the package and tipping is included, I'm not sure how the server receives that.

Edited by AEckhardt

thank-you.

You can hand the server a cash tip of course, but it is not necessary. The new automatic 18% gratuity in specialty restaurants was added at the time NCL said those servers were removed from the DSC pool so those workers are compensated from the new revenue stream instead. That new charge will appear on your bill for the meal, or was collected as part of the price of the UPD if you have it.

As to whether cash tips are kept by the individual or pooled, there are multiple conflicting reports and no definitive statement from NCL.