Norwegian Cruise Maiden Voyages. Are they Special?

nauticat

We have recently returned from our 1st Norwegian Cruise on the Jade and are already looking to plan our next adventure with the same cruise line.

Having looked at possible voyages we were really excited by the prospect of booking the maiden voyage of the Escape later this year from Southampton to Miami. I've heard fantastic stories from friends of Maiden voyages from other cruise lines on the special events that are planned, the memorabilia from the event (including freebies) and the general prestige of being amongst the 1st people to try out a new ship. When consulting with the rep on the Jade he promised an event not to be missed and I couldn't wait to get looking at rates etc.

My excitement however has been somewhat tarnished from the various negative reviews I have read from previous Norwegian Maidens. It seems from many people's views it's not all it's cracked up to be with no signs of gifts to remember the event and no special events.

Is there anyone here who has been on a Norwegian Maiden more specifically the Maiden Transatlantic who can offer more insights and offer some hope that its worth it?

many thanks

Edited by nauticat

We have recently returned from our 1st Norwegian Cruise on the Jade and are already looking to plan our next adventure with the same cruise line.

Having looked at possible voyages we were really excited by the prospect of booking the maiden voyage of the Escape later this year from Southampton to Miami. I've heard fantastic stories from friends of Maiden voyages from other cruise lines on the special events that are planned, the memorabilia from the event (including freebies) and the general prestige of being amongst the 1st people to try out a new ship. When consulting with the rep on the Jade he promised an event not to be missed and I couldn't wait to get looking at rates etc.

My excitement however has been somewhat tarnished from the various negative reviews I have read from previous Norwegian Maidens. It seems from many people's views it's not all it's cracked up to be with no signs of gifts to remember the event and no special events.

Is there anyone here who has been on a Norwegian Maiden more specifically the Maiden Transatlantic who can offer more insights and offer some hope that its worth it?

many thanks

As special as you want to make them.

If you want to be on Escape's Maiden Voyage (the first voyage with paying guests after receipt from the builders), you'll need to book the 2 night cruise from Hamburg Germany on October 25th.

If you want to be on Escape's Inaugural Voyage (the first voyage with paying guests after christening), you'll need to book the 3 night cruise from Miami Florida on November 11th.

The other voyages can always be called "firsts", but the two above are the only ones of any significance. Heck...when Escape gets here, the Getaway will do its "first" Western Caribbean Sailing (but its hardly an Inaugural Western Caribbeans Sailing).

As special as you want to make them.

If you want to be on Escape's Maiden Voyage (the first voyage with paying guests after receipt from the builders), you'll need to book the 2 night cruise from Hamburg Germany on October 25th.

If you want to be on Escape's Inaugural Voyage (the first voyage with paying guests after christening), you'll need to book the 3 night cruise from Miami Florida on November 11th.

The other voyages can always be called "firsts", but the two above are the only ones of any significance. Heck...when Escape gets here, the Getaway will do its "first" Western Caribbean Sailing (but its hardly an Inaugural Western Caribbeans Sailing).

Interesting what you say there because Norwegian bills the Hamburg leg as the "inaugural" and the Southampton as the "Maiden" What you say does make more sense to me though

I had the pleasure to sail on The Getaway from Southampton to New York City in January of 2014. It was a very interesting cruise but not for reasons one would think. There was

nothing "very special" about this cruise. It was interesting because there were so few passengers (1,088 passengers 1600+ staff members at least 40 from Meyer Werft and a number of middle management from Norwegian).

The Escape will be different in that there will be a lot more passengers, probably somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of capacity.

Mandy