Could use some help on our next search

LarsMars

Not sure if this is the right place, but Disney cruiselines is our only frame of reference.

My wife and I did our first cruise on the Dream last September and have booked a 7 night Magic cruise for next month. We absolutely loved our time on the Dream and weren't really looking for the cruise on the Magic, but it's over our 2 year old's birthday, so when Disney dropped the price for the IGT rooms, we decided to take advantage of the rate.

So that leads us to my question- over the summer months, I have a 13 year old son that I would like to take on a European cruise with my wife and I, preferably the Norwegian Fjords. Not knowing any other cruise lines, I really don't know where to start our search. I know Disney is an option, but they aren't booking that far out and I fear that it would be out of our price range. I just can't afford Disney's summer prices, though certainly understand and have no objection to them.

Normally this is the part where someone would recommend a TA, but the only one we've used does exclusively Disney vacations. We've been very satisfied with them, but they aren't a help here. I've been lurking around CC for a few years, and only recently registered hoping to send a few people who'm I've enjoyed feedback for a PM, only to find out that isn't really something I can see supported @CC.

Ideally we would like something that stops at various locations around Norway, etc... and something that is comparable to the Disney experience. There is a local Carnival cruise line at my city, and it looks fun, everyone I know who has been on it inevitably calls it a "booze cruise". Probably not what we'd like to take our son on, though I've no idea if all Carnival cruises are like that or just the local one that goes to the Bahamas. Some activities would the son would be ideal and something with better food would also be preferable. I've no interest in drinking or gambling onboard.

In any case, for those who have taken Disney cruises and can be budget conscious, are there any starting points or cruise lines that stand out more than others to begin our search? Or any hints as to where to look for a TA who can assist? Would it be best to go to the individual cruise lines or some kind of search aggregator?

For reference, I've no concern about airfare or hotel costs.

Thanks in advance.

What YEAR are you looking for? Because DCL recently released some IGT rates on their June 2015 cruises in northern Europe. Also, DCL is supposed to be releasing more cruise dates and rates this week. Logically that would include summer 2016. You will get your best rates near the opening day point.

I have a wonderful full service TA but we aren't allowed to name such people on CC. Sorry.

Other lines--Celebrity is good, but tends to be an older crowd than DCL. Good food though.

Edited by moki'smommy

I do know that Disney will be releasing it's summer 2016 cruises sometime this week, so you will see the lowest fares you can probably get for Europe at that time. I have also sailed quite a lot with Royal Caribbean and feel they are an excellent mid priced line. I don't know exactly what, if anything, that they have with Norway, but they do sail the Med in the summer. I agree with you, that I am not personally interested in Carnival either for the same reasons you mentioned.

What YEAR are you looking for? Because DCL recently released some IGT rates on their June 2015 cruises in northern Europe. Also' date=' DCL is supposed to be releasing more cruise dates and rates this week. Logically that would include summer 2016. You will get your best rates near the opening day point.

I have a wonderful full service TA but we aren't allowed to name such people on CC. Sorry.

Other lines--Celebrity is good, but tends to be an older crowd than DCL. Good food though.[/quote']

Sorry. Summer '16

I think you had a great post about what to look for in a TA, but it's a shame there's no way to send a PM.

I think you had a great post about what to look for in a TA, but it's a shame there's no way to send a PM.

I just looked at the board rules, and if I'm reading them correctly there is no way that I'm allowed to send you my e-mail address for purpose of sharing this info. Again, sorry.

Carnival does have a "booze cruise" reputation sometimes, but in my experience it is not always a fair reputation. While there short cruises certainly have a fair amount of boozing and partying, the longer the cruise the older the crowd will be and the less overt partying you will encounter. I do not think a Carnival cruise in Europe would be a "booze cruise" at all. And Carnival will be doing Europe in Summer of 2016 with its new ship Carnival Vista, though I dont believe any of their European cruises are around Norway.

Check Royal Caribean and Norweigen's websites. They are different than Disney, some better, some not. We don't have litle ones, but entertainment is close to Disney, and the prices are far cheaper.

Check Royal Caribean and Norweigen's websites. They are different than Disney, some better, some not. We don't have litle ones, but entertainment is close to Disney, and the prices are far cheaper.

Please check out recent posts about costs of other lines, comparing "apples to apples." Cheaper, yes. Far cheaper? Not my experience.

The limited capacity in Norway plus Frozen mania will keep prices fairly high. I would look at RCCL first but they don't have much in that area on the schedule as of now.

NCL has a nice Norway itinerary on the Star for 7 days (limited dates) and some nice longer options as you would expect. The 14 day looks amazing. The Star doesn't have some of the bells and whistles the newer NCL ships do but as a smaller ship (2500 pax) she can get to some ports others can't.

Princess also has options but not my first choice for teens.

Now, if you choose to do the med, I would look at RCCL.

So that leads us to my question- over the summer months, I have a 13 year old son that I would like to take on a European cruise with my wife and I, preferably the Norwegian Fjords. Not knowing any other cruise lines, I really don't know where to start our search. I know Disney is an option, but they aren't booking that far out and I fear that it would be out of our price range. I just can't afford Disney's summer prices, though certainly understand and have no objection to them.

Ideally we would like something that stops at various locations around Norway, etc... and something that is comparable to the Disney experience.

To a certain extent, only DCL will provide the Disney experience. Other lines will be less family focused, but they provide more itineraries (7-16 nights long) and can be very good. If your son is likely to be interested in being with you much of the time, that can work well. Also, most of the cruises to Norway are very port intensive, so it is possible much of your time would be spent ashore and not on board anyway.

I assume you are thinking of a cruise that is mostly ports in Norway (such as their west coast) versus a Baltic sea cruise that might also include Sweden, Russia, Finland, etc.

In terms of lines that sail that region and can be nice, I would look at Holland America, Princess, or Cunard. The most European feeling is likely to be Cunard. Each of those lines is owned by the Carnival group, but they each have their own feel and way of doing things. (Much is the same, but the styles are somewhat different, the ships have different decor, etc.) Holland America might have the largest (non-suite) cabins of the three, and some smaller ships. Princess seems to attract a wider variety of people and often sails bigger ships.

If you really want to see Norway, you might or might not want Disney mixed in as well.