Novice ?s about Caribe deck rooms on Emerald

mrsgthatsme

I am a new cruiser to Princess, and have a few questions for the experts about booking a room on the Emerald Princess. We have decided to book a room on the Caribe deck thanks to the larger deck tip from all of you! :) I am looking at stateroom 509 and 518 as possible options. I do sometimes get carsick, so want to stay somewhat midship. Do you view either of these rooms as "better" than the other? I care a lot more about quiet than convenience to elevators, etc.. 509 looks a little close to elevators. Do you anticipate heavy foot traffic/noise in that area? Any reason to choose starboard vs port? I also wondered if it was better to be directly across from an interior stateroom or across from one of those big empty spaces (no idea what might be there! :)

A slightly unrelated question for Emerald experts- are the beds comfortable? As I read reviews, some people raved about them and others said they were awful and hard! As a mom of two young children, a great night's rest is one of the things I am longing for most on this cruise! :) Thank you!!

We have sailed the Emerald Princess twice - once on a transatlantic and once in the Caribbean. Both times we were on Caribe deck. Having a balcony that is half covered and half uncovered is great. The layout of the cabin, especially the wardrobe area, and clothing storage is fantastic.

If it were me, I would select 509. I am not certain when it says that 518 can accommodate third or fourth passenger whether that means "bunk style" beds that can come down from above or not. Others might know more about that. Cabin 509 has no additional icons listed with it. Cabin 509 is far enough away from the elevator that there will not be any noise. That area is remarkably quiet.

Starboard or port depends upon where you are going on your cruise. For some itineraries it can make a big difference.

Caribe deck is very stable regarding motion and a very convenient deck.

Enjoy!

Sandie

You'll find the cabin doors on Princess to be better sound insulated than other lines. Announcements are made in the public spaces so you need to open the door to hear them. :) Unless people are standing directly outside your door or shouting, you shouldn't hear much corridor noise. The insulation between cabins is pretty good as well. I often book cabins near the elevators and rarely hear any noise. There's always the possibility of rude people but in general, I think you'll find Princess cabins pretty quiet.

When you board the ship, you'll be able to go directly to your cabin. No waiting. Check out the bed and if you feel it's not soft enough, ask for a mattress topper from your cabin steward who will appear shortly after you get there.

We have sailed the Emerald many times.......

As far as location I would say your choice is good. We have been near elevators a few times. Cabins are pretty soundproof.

As far as beds its a crap shoot. Beds are replaced on an ongoing basis so there is no way to know until you get there whether yours will be acceptable.

Extra beds if there are any should be recessed in the ceiling or wall. I have not heard of beds in those cabins being the hanging ones folding up against the wall and sticking out.

The layout of the cabin, especially the wardrobe area, and clothing storage is fantastic.

We were on the Aloha(not Caribe) Deck just last week and the storage area WAS fantastic. Of course, the balcony was dinky, but it sure looked hot in the full sun below us. Not many people out there.

Our bed was very comfy too. Our cabin was located near an elevator and noise was not a problem.

Hi,

The beds are definitely NOT comfortable. Be sure to ask for a mattress topper because the first night without one was miserable. Also, ask for a sheet :). Not sure why they don't have a top sheet, but it really makes a difference if you are used to sleeping with one.

One more important tip- if you are allergic to feather pillows be sure to have them replaced. Did not realize 2 pillows were feather until after my husband had breathing issues.

Caribe is the best! Loved the balcony!

We are just off the Emerald and had C 301 - right outside the forward stairs. The room was very quiet and other than an occasional elevator 'ding' we never were bothered by the outside noise. The larger balcony was a welcome addition. Our bed was quite hard, but we have a 'Heavenly ' mattress at home so we're spoiled.. :) We also asked for a top sheet after the first night as DW does not like the weight of a comforter on her. I also agree with an earlier poster on the non-feather pillows - we asked to have mine replaced with a form pillow and that helped my allergies a lot.

Was on the Emerald in Feb. We were on the Caribe deck (we always book the Caribe deck), right across from the elevators. I was a little nervous about the noise but it was a non-issue. We heard voices ONCE on our 7 day cruise and it wasn't terribly loud or at all obnoxious. The rooms are very quiet. I don't even recall hearing footsteps from passengers passing our door.

Monica

We have never been on the Emerald but have sailed on its sister ship, the Ruby. We have booked most of our rooms on Caribe between C515 and C523 so we would be near mid-ship due to less motion. It has worked fine for us. But we have also been D510 on the Royal, D515 on the Caribbean, and B333 on the Regal.

All those have worked well for us. Caribe mid-aft or mid-forward as near the center as possible would be our choice for a balcony unless Dolphin had balconies in similar locations.

We were on Emerald Princess last week and stayed in 518. It was very quiet and yet close enough to the stairs and elevators to be very convenient. The extra beds could be pulled down from the ceiling. We also asked the attendant to put an additional pad on the bed and we found it to be very comfortable.

Have a great cruise