Is it worth it.. Rostock?

What is there to see in Rostock? Trying to plan a day near cruise port. Help is appreciated

This site, along with the threads previously quoted and my web site, should answer all your queries.

http://www.rostock.de/en/sightseeing.html

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

We loved visiting Rostock. We toured a museum, walked around the downtown area, had lunch (really good schnitzel) and visited St. Mary's church with its amazing astronomical clock. That was after spending the morning in Warnemunde. While I would like to visit Berlin, we didn't regret staying locally.

What is there to see in Rostock? Trying to plan a day near cruise port. Help is appreciated

With reference to your recent post in the thread Warndmunde- Schwerin and Wismar in 1 Day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaboochi viewpost.gif

Warnemunde seems to be a quaint place to explore. I researched Rostock and From what I have read it's an industrial town.

Not sure where you got the idea that Rostock is an industrial town but that is far from the case!

Over the past 30 years I have travelled the world and lived in or visited many different places . 10 years ago, by choice, I settled in Rostock and can assure visitors that it is one of the cleanest, most pleasant, interesting and least industrialised small cities that I know.

• It is the most important and busiest Cruise Ship port in Germany.
  • Warnemünde is part of Rostock and one of the most popular holiday destinations for Germans in their own country.
  • The city has a long history, dating from 1160, and boasts many fine medieval buildings, good museums, a church with an anstronomical clock dating from 1492, a completely pedestrianised city centre within the city walls and many green spaces.

The main 'industry' is tourism, followed by shipping, especially the roll-on-roll-off ferries which are a vital link between Europe and Scandanavia. There are other industries, but on a very small scale, concentrated in the port area on the other side of the river to the city - every city around the world which relies heavily on seasonal tourism has to have some industry.

True, Rostock cannot compare with St Petersburg or Copenhagen or Stockholm but it does not aspire to. Rostock is itself - a typical, small German port city with a rich history, ancient buildings and the bonus of a wonderful beachside suburb; catering for the tourist but also giving a good picture of everyday life - well worth a visit.

For official details on what the city and its seaside suburb have to offer please visit (as advised in my previous post)

http://www.rostock.de/en/sightseeing.html

I would be interested to hear the impressions of some of the many cruisers who have chosen to visit Rostock.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

ThNk you for your informTive post. I read the negative here on CC but you have opened my eyes. I can't thNk you enough. How do we get from the ship to this area? Thank you again

I thank you for your appreciation.

You already asked this question in your post of 25th March on the thread 'Train from Waremunde to Rostock'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaboochi viewpost.gif

I read online that there is a train station at the cruise port that trVels from WRnemunde to Rostock every 15 minutes and the cost is 1.90 euro. Has anyone here taken this train? Can I use a credit card to purchase a ticket or do I need euros? Any help and I formation is greatly appreciated.

and several people, including myself, posted replies, but here is my reply again.

Quote:

Just about everyone who has ever gone into Rostock from a cruise ship travelled on the train.

You can use a credit card in the ticket machine as long as it has a chip but it is much simpler to use cash. You will need cash for other things eg. restrooms, snacks, street stalls etc. so it is always as well to have a small amount of the local currency in any country.

The train goes to the main station then you need to catch a #5 or #6 tram into the city centre. The 1.90 euro ticket covers the whole journey, valid for both the train and the tram. Be sure to validate the ticket in the little orange box on the platform before you board the train. The fine for not doing so is 40 euros!

For more detailed information on how to get from Warnemünde to Rostock City centre please see the Rostock page of my web site

http://www.travelannni.webs.com

Anni.

We enjoyed our day in Rostock. Shortly before our cruise, I learned that our ship would be in the commercial port rather than Warnemunde. So I scrapped a plan to tour Warnemunde a bit, then rent bikes to go along the shore trail.

The port authorities had a free shuttle from the commercial port into Rostock, so we took that. The town has a great tourist information and they have free tour maps available. These were much better than what was in Rick Steve's Northern Port Guide book. I should warn that if you port on a Sunday, shops are closed in Rostock (but not Warnemunde). Even with the shops closed, it was a very pleasant day. A year earlier we had spent an entire vacation in Germany, so we had stayed in some pretty little towns such as Bamburg and Mittenwald. While, I wouldn't say Rostock is anywhere near as "cute" as those towns, it certainly has a nice German ambiance.

Personally, I think Rick Steves book does a rather poor job on this port. He almost encourages people to make the long trek to Berlin. For the Med ports, he usually has great information on public transportation to a variety of places to visit near the port. But, that isn't the case for this port. He should have Anni rewrite the entire chapter for him.

I think this link is broken. On second thought, I see the problem. Too many n's in anni.

JoAnn

How embarrassing :mad: Can't even spell my own name ! I blame old age :confused:

Thanks, JoAnn. Of course it should be http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni