Bringing alcohol on board?

chloemonkey

Carnival seem to be very thorough -- they carefully check bottle

safety seals to make sure you haven't refilled them. Their ships

seem to sail on time.

Princess treats their guests with a little more respect, but I'm sure

after enough people cheat them, they will rethink that.

How will they ever know?

When I posted thorough I meant inspecting of anything that could hold alcohol besides bottles. There are many devices commercially available and I'm sure there must be numerous other ingenious containers people use.

As long as I'm allowed my 1 bottle without a penalty I'm happy.

The grand class ships hold about 2600 pax while the bigger ships hold more. Assuming each pax checks an average of 1.5 pieces of luggage many large that would result in 3900 pieces of luggage to be collected, scanned and loaded onto the ship usually in 4 or so hours (or 240 minutes approximately). They would have to scan 16.25 pieces of luggage a minute! That does not leave much time to closely check for large bottles much less harder to detect small bottles or non-conforming containers (e.g. rumrunners). Talk about a mission impossible!

I am quite sure Princess is well aware of what their pax are doing and generally knowledgeable on how they are doing it. The real issue here is catching them. Some do get caught but many don't.

Don't you just love it how the high and mighty like to quote the "rules" and even publish them? Too bad corporations do not always abide by the "rules" particularly their own "rules" which is why the courts are full of civil lawsuits between corporations and criminal lawsuits brought by the government. This is not a ideal world.

Now that the government has approved powdered alcohol (just mix it with your favorite mixer) it will be interesting to see how this will affect ship liquor policies. I understand it could be available in stores by June.

Edited by yukongold

Now that the government has approved powdered alcohol (just mix it with your favorite mixer) it will be interesting to see how this will affect ship liquor policies. I understand it could be available in stores by June.

There are so many concerned about this powdered alcohol that several states have already banned it, according to a CNN article.

I'll have to try adding to one of their non alcoholic drinks next cruise as soon as it's available close-by our area. :D

I wonder if it'll be available in the Caribbean stores?

They would have to scan 16.25 pieces of luggage a minute! That does not leave much time to closely check for large bottles much less harder to detect small bottles or non-conforming containers (e.g. rumrunners). Talk about a mission impossible!

One would hope that the principal reason for scanning luggage

is security.

It it is mission impossible, as you say, alcohol isn't the problem

we should worry about.

So, they can keep something (the memory foam), even if it's not on the list of prohibited items?

If you decide to do this and the alcohol is in it's original, unopened bottle, they will likely hold it until the end of the cruise along with the memory foam.

You would need to pick it up the items the morning of debarkation.

If you decide to do this and the alcohol is in it's original, unopened bottle, they will likely hold it until the end of the cruise.

You would need to pick it up the items the morning of debarkation.

Per the passage contract forbidden alcohol detected in luggage at embarkation will be discarded with no payment to the passenger for its loss.

[quote name='pablo222']One would hope that the principal reason for scanning luggage
is security.

It it is mission impossible, as you say, alcohol isn't the problem
we should worry about.[/QUOTE]

I agree and is it wise to make speculative comments about possible security weaknesses?

Perhaps we could all be a little circumspect in regard to our comments given the world we live in.

Many thanks.