Which Viking boat does Budapest to Nuremberg?

brookmill18

There are several -- most all are longships, so they are very similar, with some minor differences.

Here are the ships sailing this itinerary for 2015 & 2016:

Viking Vidar, Viking Modi, Viking Odin, Viking Mimir, Viking Gefjon, Viking Freya, Viking Njord, Viking Var, Viking Gullveig, Viking Tor, Viking Jarl, Viking Atla, Viking Rhinda & Viking Delling.

I have done this itinerary 3 times and loved it each time. Viking's Romantic Danube is the most popular itinerary -- It is offered from Nuremberg to Budapest or Budapest to Nuremberg. There are several reasons I would recommend going from Nuremberg to Budapest, one of which is that it will allow you slightly more time in the ports.

Hope this helps!

Edited by CPMichael

Why would you spend more time in the ports? Is it because of the current of the river/ The reason I ask is because we are going out of Budapest.

We did the Romantic Danube cruise last year with Viking and enjoyed it very much. We started in Budapest. We flew in 3 days early and stayed in Budapest on our own. When we got of the ship in Nuremberg we went to Prague on our own for 3 days. I actually liked going in this direction. All the longships that do this itinerary are the same. Just some are newer then others but they are all only a few years old at the most.

There are six of us doing this cruise in July. When we get of the boat in Nuremberg we will be taking the train to Munich. I'm wondering what time I should book my train tickets for (cheaper if you book ahead) taking into account getting to the train station.

Any advice?

We did Budapest to Nuremberg in May 2013, boat was Viking Odin.

I think the opposite direction would have been much better, as the scenery would improve along the way. The final parts of the cruise to Nuremberg is not as interesting, imo.

The boat was scheduled to arrive at Nuremberg mooring during breakfast, but in fact the boat was already moored when we woke.

Spends all day there, but mooring point is outside city centre on the canal in a wooded area, i.e. a drive away from the city centre. In Budapest the mooring place is in the middle of Budapest.

Suggest you compare the two itineries, Budapest to Nuremberg, and Nuremberg to Budapest -- both are on the Viking website.

We are traveling Nuremberg to Budapest in August on the very newly christened Viking Skirnir.

This is my first cruise, so I am just guessing here, but maybe you have more port time in our direction because the ship is going downriver and "sailing" is faster?? :confused:

That's part of it, but a lot depends on going through the locks thus depending how much other traffic there is on the river the boat may have to wait to get through.

Edited by pontac

Sorry I'm doing Nuremburg to Budapest don't have flights yet from Viking just curious what time we leave ship on last day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on what time your flight is. We flew from Nuremburg to Frankfurt, and then Frankfurt to Philadelphia. We had time for a leisurely breakfast, and left the boat about 8:30 for a 10:15 flight to Frankfurt. A couple we had met on board also flew from Nuremburg to Frankfurt and were on the same flight as us back to Philly. However, their flight from Nuremburg left MUCH earlier, and I think they had to get up around 4, eat breakfast at 5, and leave the boat by 6. I have read many accounts of people having to leave at very early hours.

Edited by Rosethorn40
spelling

what time we leave ship on last day

There are mulitiple departures from sailings, on the Bordeaux trip last month there were 8 different departure times.

It all depends on your travle arrangements and if you're flying, then the flight departure time - of those 8 different times above, 6 were to the airport, first at 04:00 last at 14:30 (2.30pm).

Viking will try to get you to the airport not less than 2 hours before flight departure. Our flight departed 10:15, our bags had to be outside our room by 06:45 and departure time was 07:45. (Viking will load you bags onto the coach.

As the airport was just 15 minutes away and everyone was on the coach by 07:40 we arrived at airport checkin by 10:00.

But whatever your departure time from the boat, your room must be vacated by 09:00

Two suggestions:

1)If you don't fancy a very early departure try to book a later flight.

2) If you do have a start where your bags have to be packed and outside your room before breakfast take disposible toothbrushes/toothpastes with you -- we save them from longhaul flight amenity kits.