money

papa4848

I'm not sure if Hydrokitty has addressed this, but just to clarify, you can get a Capital One checking account with debit cards. The account can be opened on line and use on-line banking to transfer money in and out. We fund it up a few weeks before our trips and it works flawlessly at any ATM in Europe. No transaction fees and they refund any fees you may be charged at a foreign atm:p

Compare to the Wells Fargo $5 plus 2% on each ATM withdrawal.:mad:

FM

Hmmm, I already have a Capital One CC and money market account, so I might look into this if the benefits are the same as Schwab (no fees or FTF).

I'm not sure if Hydrokitty has addressed this, but just to clarify, you can get a Capital One checking account with debit cards. The account can be opened on line and use on-line banking to transfer money in and out. We fund it up a few weeks before our trips and it works flawlessly at any ATM in Europe. No transaction fees and they refund any fees you may be charged at a foreign atm:p

FM

No, Francis, I did not address this because I don't have any other banking with Capital One, so I wasn't aware. I only got their credit card to use when I travel so I don't have to pay ftf.....I don't have a branch near enough for me to switch and I'm like an old dinosaur....I don't do any banking on line!! :D

FM

Thanks for the info. That is very helpful

Edited by QueenofEverything

For foreign travel I carry two ATM cards. They primary is from Schwab bank (I make sure the overdraft feature is disabled so in case it is compromised they cannot link through to my brokerage account). As people have mentioned it has no foreign transaction fee and will refund ATM fees, including foreign one. My backup ATM card is from ALLY bank which also does not charge a foreign transaction fee. While Ally refunds US ATM fees, it will not refund foreign ATM fees, thus the reason Schwab is primary and Ally the backup card.

For a credit card I used the one from United with also does not charge a foreign transaction fee, my secondary is from Capital One which also does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

The comfort, familiarity and service I get from USAA makes their 1% FTF on both credit card and ATM transactions (separate accounts and cards) worth it to me. We aren't big spenders when we river cruise.

We have both. Yes you need the brokerage account but it just sits there inactive. We aren't using it.
You're right, and my earlier post was inaccurate - though having an unused brokerage account isn't burdensome. Jazzbeau makes an excellent point regarding deposits; useful if there isn't a Schwab office near you.