Caye Caulker- On your own- ISSUES

rdiamond1

I thought I would share an experience our family had last week when we visited Caye Caulker.

We were travelling on the NCL Sun. There were 3 ships in the water and tender boats were bringing passengers into Belize City.

We had the fourth tender out from the NCL Sun. There were four of us, two teens myself and husband.

I recognized the tender boats as being from the two water taxi companies we had researched prior the trip, Belize Express and Caye Caulker as well as another catamaran from a place unknown.

We had limited time and chose Caye Caulker Water taxi, as the Return cost was $ 14.50 USD each- a total of sixty for the four of us.

The 8 AM water taxi was about 20 minutes late. There was a difference of ONE HOUR between ship time and Belize time so even though we left at 8:20 AM from the ship we still could catch the early water taxi.

This plan would be fine but catching the 1:30 PM taxi was absolutely mandatory.

Well, Caye Caulker is amazing. Leaving Belize City and speeding thru the mangrove and reaching Caye Caulker was great.

Some notes:

The Split is the place to sunbathe and swim. Be careful as it is deep and in some areas the current is strong. It was very strong that day. There is a concrete stairwary to get into the water. The water is clear and beautiful. The bar was very busy, a bucket of six Belikin beer is $ 15 USD ( 30 BzD) and you get 5 BzD back when you return the bucket... for about $ 2 a beer.

There are no cars on Caye Caulker, it is VERY bright as the limestone reflects off everything.

Most all of the snorkelling tours come back at 1:30 PM- UNLESS you book privately. We spoke to the Caveman but he already had a private tour.

This time is too late to get the water taxi back.

On front street there is a dog rental place. They ask you to take a dog for a day. There are MANY people doing this. You see the little red jackets everywhere. We did take two different dogs around. Most of the locals know these dogs. They are VERY well behaved, nice animals.

The food costs can range. We had chicken fingers and fries for 6 BzD each. Most meals are more than this though.... 12-14 BzD. There are people BBQ ing in the streets and selling lobster etc...

Bike rentals are cheap, golf carts are more but you really don't need one.

The snorkelling is OK from shore... at the split- but not great.

This is a truly unique place.

OK... the problem. We park ourself down to wait for the Caye Caulker water taxi. It is 1:30 PM and it is not there. When we go to the window - there is a sign that the 1:30 PM is cancelled. Of course it is... no boats available as they are tendering cruise passengers. The 4:30 PM would get you back at 5:15 PM and that is 6:15 ship time . The ship is leaving at 5 PM and the last tender back is 4: 30 PM. They return us - about half the fare- 55 BzD.

We run to the other water taxi that is just leaving ( Belize Express ) - they ask for $ 120 BzD for the return back... but they do not want to wait. We are scrambling trying to find USD and our left over BzD. No credit, interact... cash only.

We barely make it on. It turned an otherwise idyllic day into a poor experience.

Here are some pics though... it is definitely a place I would go back to.

cc6_zpsga7kwdpi.jpg

cc2_zpsg1f5cq7h.jpg

cc7_zpsuniif3lc.jpgcc4_zpsjnpcw4u7.jpgcc5_zpskx4uoprl.jpg

We have gone to Caye Caulker three times through a private tour company. Started well first trip but we experienced declining service on the next two trips; small boats that had mechanical problems etc. We thought we would take the regular ferry back on following trips!

We tried; the last ship back was oversold and they would not take on any more passengers; next time the ferry never showed up and we managed to get back on our tour boat problems and all.

We saw ship passengers left on the ferry pier with no way back and I assume they eventually made it back.

There is a considerable distance to Caye Caulker and I personnaly will not rely on their ferries again.

This is not a place I want to be stranded in.

I hope a reliable company realizes there is $$ to be made but we are on tight schedules.

We had a close call several years ago. Nearly missed the water taxi, but made it back to port 15 minutes before the last tender. I still get evil looks from Ginger D when she hears Cay Caulker.;)

On front street there is a dog rental place. They ask you to take a dog for a day. There are MANY people doing this. You see the little red jackets everywhere. We did take two different dogs around. Most of the locals know these dogs. They are VERY well behaved, nice animals.

This is the first time I have ever seen someone mention the dog rental. Interresting. We only seen stray dogs running around while we were there. What does it cost to rent a dog? How does this program work? How do you keep track of the dog so that it doesn't run off?

Sorry to hear what happened to you but glad you did make it back in time.

It does not cost anything. It is midway between the water taxi's and the split. They say you can donate a bag of food or a couple of dollars or feed the dog while you have it. The floor is sand/ limestone on most of the restaurants and the bars/ restaurants allow them in. Many people knew the dog's name when we were at the Split... "Oh, there's Charlie " ... "Sheila's out today ". This dog shelter also has a couple of very large iguana's.... and some interesting birds. They ask if you would like to take to dog permanently. You write down your name and address. We were swimming at the Split and asked our neighbor to hold the leash while we were in the water.

I found going from Belize City to the Split- like night and day... they might have been on different planets, the difference was so extreme.

The cost of the Water Taxi's

Caye Caulker : $ 14.50 RETURN

Belize ( closer to Tourism Village ) was $ 25 RETURN

It might have been better to have picked the Belize Water Taxi- despite the price difference... they were the ones that did NOT cancel.

BTW : Mitsugirly I really enjoy your reviews - we read many of them before we left.

It does not cost anything. It is midway between the water taxi's and the split. They say you can donate a bag of food or a couple of dollars or feed the dog while you have it. The floor is sand/ limestone on most of the restaurants and the bars/ restaurants allow them in. Many people knew the dog's name when we were at the Split... "Oh, there's Charlie " ... "Sheila's out today ". This dog shelter also has a couple of very large iguana's.... and some interesting birds. They ask if you would like to take to dog permanently. You write down your name and address. We were swimming at the Split and asked our neighbor to hold the leash while we were in the water.

BTW : Mitsugirly I really enjoy your reviews - we read many of them before we left.

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. I'm sure had my hubby knew this when we were there he would have headed over to spend some time with the animals or take them for a walk. He manages to attract animals everywhere we go and usually ends up playing with a dog on the beach in multiple places. :D

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it and really enjoy doing the reviews for everyone. :)

• 2 months later...
Spent a week there and am seen many issues with the water taxis. Great place to be though. There is also an airport that is pretty resolvable on Caye Caulker. It will take you over to Belize City Airport.

Issues as in overbooking or cancellations? I'm going there in December. I've done the cave tubing and mainland things and last year went to Goff's Caye. Originally booked a Caye Caulker thing with Coral Breeze last trip but it was cancelled due to lack of participation. I'm going back this year and really want to see Caye Caulker. I figured that I would do the water taxi thing this trip. Kind of a tight window though. I'm not really totally paranoid about getting back on the 1:30 return but now I'm concerned about how close they stay on schedule.

• 9 months later...

We have Coralbreeze Island experience (or whatever it is called) booked so we don't have to worry about the reliability of the water taxis. It cost a bit more, but hopefully will keep our minds at ease about the return trip. Looking forward to the visit in 3 weeks!!

We have Coralbreeze Island experience (or whatever it is called) booked so we don't have to worry about the reliability of the water taxis. It cost a bit more, but hopefully will keep our minds at ease about the return trip. Looking forward to the visit in 3 weeks!!

Coral Breeze is a great way to go.

We sail this week...I was sort of planning on the ferry and taking the 1:30 back. I hadn't seen this thread before and now am not sure on the ferry back? I wonder if it is more reliable now? Did any recent cruisers have success with the1:30?

We just got back and did the water taxi both ways. On the way over it was so crowded I only had very small spot to sit on which made for a very long ride there. Took about an hour to get there including loading/unloading. We came back on the 3:30 and it was about half full and only took about 40 min to get to Belize. I think they are pretty reliable but if there is any chance of bad weather I would not chance it. The place was wonderful and the Split/Wet Lizard (atmosphere, drinks & food) was awesome! If I ever get the chance to go there again, I will either take the plane both ways (to save time) or I will go with someone like coral breeze (would lean towards going with coral breeze just for the peace of mind). It was just too nerve racking for me worrying about getting back on time!

We just got back and did the water taxi both ways. On the way over it was so crowded I only had very small spot to sit on which made for a very long ride there. Took about an hour to get there including loading/unloading. We came back on the 3:30 and it was about half full and only took about 40 min to get to Belize. I think they are pretty reliable but if there is any chance of bad weather I would not chance it. The place was wonderful and the Split/Wet Lizard (atmosphere, drinks & food) was awesome! If I ever get the chance to go there again, I will either take the plane both ways (to save time) or I will go with someone like coral breeze (would lean towards going with coral breeze just for the peace of mind). It was just too nerve racking for me worrying about getting back on time!

Thank you for your honest review.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Also, I am looking at just booking the Caye Caulker excursion from Coral Breeze Tours. Anyone have feedback on that? Is 4 hours on Caye Caulker exploring a good time for a family of 5? My kids are 21 and 17 (twins)

I would let you know, but it looks like you are sailing the week we return. It sounds like 3-4 hrs is plenty of time to explore. We are doing CoralBreeze tours after considering the water taxi. Just wanted the peace of mind that we were with a private group that was cognizant of our ship's departure time.

I would let you know, but it looks like you are sailing the week we return. It sounds like 3-4 hrs is plenty of time to explore. We are doing CoralBreeze tours after considering the water taxi. Just wanted the peace of mind that we were with a private group that was cognizant of our ship's departure time.

I agree. It looks like the best way to travel there and not worry.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

We sail this week...I was sort of planning on the ferry and taking the 1:30 back. I hadn't seen this thread before and now am not sure on the ferry back? I wonder if it is more reliable now? Did any recent cruisers have success with the1:30?

Took it there and back in January without an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. We ended up booking coral breeze and were glad we did. No issues getting back on time and we had a lot more time on caye caulker. Ivar helped arrange a golf cart rental for us. We also loved the split and got to see dolphins on the way to cc. It was my favorite port.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on how many hours you are in port in Belize. It is possible but the boat ride over is 40 minutes... then 40 minutes back. Coral Breeze does 75 minutes in Caye Caulker with their excursion to Shark Ray Alley. Doing it on your own via water taxi would be risky but doable (depending on time in port but risky). They have folks that take people out to Shark Ray from CC. It is only a 5 minute boat ride to the Shark Ray Alley.